+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free domain listings on Flippa

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

Free domain listings on Flippa

Please don't have a go at me if this is an ancient feature, but I don't spend a lot of time on Flippa and I only just noticed this.

Earn a FREE Flippa domain listing for every 15 domains you appraise
    https://flippa.com/domain-appraisals

What kind of system is this? It looks as though just about anyone with a Flippa account can appraise domains to earn themselves free listings. What if they don't know anything about domain values? How can it be of any use to anyone?
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

Clinton (4 April 2014)

aka "meathead1234" Thomas is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Interesting concept, poorly executed. Encouraging anyone with a Flippa account to offer "valuations" in exchange for free listings is just asking for morons to be doing the valuations. At least with an automated tool (whilst inaccurate) you get consistent logic. You don't get that with a human. If the people offering the valuations had to prove their credentials first, that could work - but I suspect anyone with experience isn't going to work for free just to give Flippa a new listing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Thomas For This Useful Post:

Kay (4 April 2014)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That's pretty much what I was thinking, Thomas. People who are motivated to get free listings aren't necessarily the best ones to be doing appraisals. If someone is time rich and cash poor, why pay for a listing when you can just fire off a few "appraisals"? And what about the possibilities of abuse? I expect it would be easy enough to get plenty of shills to appraise your domain at, say, $5K. Then list it for sale along with the info that "this domain was appraised as being worth $5K here on Flippa". Then some hapless punter comes along and thinks he's getting a bargain because he snaps it up for only $3K.

And even if people aren't dishonest, what's the point in having the man on the Clapham omnibus valuing your domains? It's an extraordinary idea.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Thanks
    I agree, 'crowdsourcing' / consensus building for valuation among unqualified 'professionals' is just another way to get more domain listings and those will have artificially high values since the appraisers will be probably domain sellers themselves who want to believe that mydomainisawesomeyoursucks.org is worth $45,000. And the real people qualified to appraise are too busy to do 15 appraisals.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FinanceGuy For This Useful Post:

Kay (4 April 2014)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Someone raised the concerns of incentivising unqualified people to do domain appraisals - in the comments of the page explaining what it's all about.

This is Flippa's answer:

"Hi Mike, thanks for the feedback. We're aware of this but we were worried that people might hold back with their appraisals - for fear of looking silly, wrong, or just plain nerves. We'll certainly be watching how the community grows and look at the prize at a later stage."

http://flippa.com/blog/crowd-sourced...ppraisal-tool/

This doesn't exactly reassure me. What person who knew their stuff about appraising domains would hold back, "for fear of looking silly, wrong, or just plain nerves (sic)"?

In other words, they're aware of the potential problems but they're going to do it anyway because it creates more listings.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Here's the latest on this:

What is your domain worth?

Flippa’s Domain Name Appraisal tool is growing week by week, thanks to everyone who has taken part! If you own a domain or two, this is an excellent way of uncovering its worth.

We looked at existing automated appraisal tools and didn’t like what we saw - so we built our own appraisal community within Flippa.
    From Flippa's newsletter

I'm not surprised it's growing. They even have a leader board for the top appraisers of the week. Last week's winner was PremiumFlip, who clocked up an amazing 232 appraisals. Nice, that could have earned him 15 free domain listings. Damn! No, it wouldn't. They've capped the number of free listings at only one per week. I wonder why they decided to do that. Never mind, PremiumFlip will still be in with a chance of winning a $250 premium listing.

Hmm, 232 appraisals in a week. Assuming the guy takes a day off once a week, he's doing nearly 40 appraisals every day. How long for an appraisal? Let's say 5 minutes at the barest minimum to consider the domain and post your assessment along with some reasoning behind it. That would take more than 3 hours! It's rather touching to see such dedication to making Flippa a more useful place.

aka "meathead1234" Thomas is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It's complete rubbish. Check out this domain: https://flippa.com/domain-appraisals/1514-ps4hacks-com

Trademark issues, "hack" in the name - just asking for trouble. I tried to value at $0 but it wouldn't let me. There's a $15k and a $25k valuation for it - what nonsense.

Valuations from unqualified individuals are a big issue in the brokerage space. Any decent broker will tell you that the worst kind of client is someone who already has a preconceived idea of value based on a "valuation" they received elsewhere. It's part of the reason the industry lacks liquidity - too many unrealistic sellers and misinformed buyers.

I advise people to NEVER take notice of a valuation from a tool or a third party unless either: they are willing to buy it for that valuation from you (they might be low balling in this case!), they are willing to broker it at that valuation on a contingency basis (i.e. only get paid when it sells).

The worst place to get a valuation is from an automated tool or someone incentivised by giving a "good" valuation. I don't think I would win many prizes/friends going around valuing half the terrible domains on Flippa/elsewhere at $0

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thomas For This Useful Post:

Clinton (23 April 2014), Kay (23 April 2014)

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    I advise people to NEVER take notice of a valuation from a tool or a third party unless either: they are willing to buy it for that valuation from you ...
    Agreed. From the time before the first online valuation tool was created I've been warning in my Sitepoint posts, on my .co.uk site and elsewhere that a valuation is worthless unless it's from someone who has the money and the intent to buy your site. I have no doubt that the team at Flippa know this - they've read my work - and are also aware that opening valuation up to every Tom, Dick and Harry and incentivising it will drive some of the less astute buyers into possibly paying more for a domain/site. I wonder who stands to gain monetarily from this

And why would Flippa allow you to value a domain at $0? If buyers see your valuation it might put them off from buying the worthless domain .... and we can't have that!
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I wanted to look at some of the valuations out of curiosity, but it only lets you see them if you appraise the domain yourself first. That's another incentive to give appraisals.

I keep reading in several places that Flippa is a great place to sell domains and how much money you can make from doing it. I've yet to see this actually happening. And, as Thomas says, a lot of them are terrible domains. I guess the sellers have bought into the idea that you can make a quick fortune flipping domains. Some of those listed for sale were only bought days previously.

I've not really been watching the domain market on there. Do they have the same problem of NPBs?

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    I wanted to look at some of the valuations out of curiosity, but it only lets you see them if you appraise the domain yourself first. That's another incentive to give appraisals.
    It also makes it much easier to game the system, not that Flippa has ever cared about people doing that before so I doubt they will start caring now.

Want an inflated bunch of appraisals? Make sure you put the first few appraisals in yourself, then the noobs will come in and parrot whatever the people before them stated because they don't want to look stupid by disagreeing with others. Wonderfully self-reinforcing.

+ Reply to Thread