+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Forums the best places to buy websites?

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

Forums the best places to buy websites?

Quote Originally Posted by crabfoot
    The best bargains I've seen come up on forums, when someone with a big portfolio decides to clear out the stuff they don't have time to work on. Places that are not primarily for site sales, but have a buy/sell section.
    http://experienced-people.net/forums...e-buyer-newbie

In the Premium Lounge we've been investigating various places to buy websites, and so far forums didn't exactly come out top. But what crabfoot suggests above puts a different take on the value of forums for finding good websites. It's not the everyday listings of junk which produce the gems, but the one-off occasional stuff that comes up. Therefore perhaps you have to visit every day to make sure you don't miss anything. I don't know. Is that how you do it? Maybe news like this spreads by word of mouth.

Meanwhile, it's quite timely that I should have found crabfoot's old comment (I'm researching for a book about buying websites), because we know of someone who is getting ready to sell a large portfolio.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Thanks
    I agree, I also found many great deals through forums, although when it's not a webmaster related forums primarily people trying to sell their sites frequently have unrealistically high expectations of what the fruits of their labor are worth. It can vary significantly though and when there is an urgency to sell you could definitely find quality deals. I still try to visit various forums from time to time to check what's for sale.

However lately it's getting much less frequent to stumble upon quality sites in forums and other means of selling became more popular.

Kay, how is it going with that book? I'm curious what are your plans for it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DomainMagnate For This Useful Post:

Kay (5 May 2014)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    I think Flippa really has the advantage of the huge audience of buyers. It's hard for any forum to offer a viable alternative. And if a forum has webmaster types, they're probably going to want to push the price right down. If I had something to sell, I'd probably try Flippa too. They seem to have people queueing up to buy polished turds over there. I'm not sure why people would choose to list on forums unless it's wanting to give their mates first shout, or maybe because they don't want to pay Flippa's listing and success fees.

Thanks for asking about my book. Oh dear, it's grown into a monster. The more I learn, the more I realise I don't know and the book has grown vast with all the research I've been doing. It's OK, though, I always work like this on larger projects. I never want to leave any stone unturned. Fortunately I have an in-house editor (Dave McM) who is good at cutting and organising my projects which go out of control. LOL. I'm hoping to hand it over to him tomorrow for the first edit. Then I'll work on it again and go back for a second edit. And then I'm hoping for a couple of beta-readers - a kind of peer review. Clinton has kindly offered to have a look. And then I guess it'll be ready for publication. I've not figured out that side of it yet. If it's good enough I might go for paperback. I'm not sure I want to compete with all the people on Kindle who sell pixie dust and unicorns and simple recipes for flipping. My book isn't about flipping anyway. I'm glad you asked about the book because I keep talking about it. Less talking and more doing would help!
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

+ Reply to Thread