Thread: Hello, I'm New Here

Thanks

Hello, I'm New Here

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and thought I'd quickly do the introduction...

I've been working online part time for a couple of years and have now made the transition to full time. It's been tough going but the reward of being my own boss far outweighs the tough time I'm having.

I enjoy learning new stuff and I'll do my best to contribute on this forum, I'm happy to help where I can. I live in the UK but I'm originally from sunny South Africa.

Thanks for having me around!

Regards,
    Gabi

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Hi Gabi,

Welcome to Experienced People. It's good to have you aboard. When you say you're working online for yourself (well done, by the way!), what kind of things are you doing? Buying and selling? Writing? Or maybe you're into eCommerce. Whatever it is, we're sure to have some like-minded people around so you'll be able to make new friends and compare notes.

My main interest right now is trying to earning a few honest shillings from writing. These days I'm mostly working on my own projects - I like where there's no editorial control and I can write what the heck I want.

Hope to see you around posting.

Cheers,

Kay
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

New Member Mentor JimWaller is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Hi and welcome Gabi (Gabi)!

Thanks for taking a moment to introduce yourself. Here at EP, introductory posts are important as they help us get to know you and help our other members decide how much value they will place on your views and opinions.

We try to maintain a high level of quality information, and one way we do that is by following our forum rules (especially rule 3 our so-called "no fluff" rule) Our members put a lot of thought into their posts and I'm sure you'll do the same. We have very helpful members in our community, so feel free to ask questions in the appropriate forums. Who knows, another member might have the same questions you have.

Out of curiosity, how did you find us? Was it a web search, a referral by a friend, or something else? I originally came here when a friend who was already a member here told me about it. I'm also wondering what type of information are you hoping to find on EP? It will help me know in which direction to point you. That's what I do here as a new member mentor, I welcome new members like you and give you an idea where to go to get the information you need.

Like Kay, I'm interested in what way you work online. Congrats on being able to make the transition to full time. I'm sure your experience will be helpful to some of our other members who are hoping to do the same.

Being from South Africa, do you speak Afrikaans? I can understand a few words as i speak some Dutch (not much). I'm interested in languages, which is why I asked.

I look forward to getting to know you better.

Kind Regards,

Jim
    Help bring Janice home My mother-in-law was hospitalized while on vacation (holiday) We're trying to bring her home.

Thanks
    Hi Kay,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

My specialty is drop shipping, I started last year in September and went full time earlier this year. It's been tough going but rewarding and I'm by no means at the point where I can travel on a private jet but that's not my goal anyway! I am currently looking to diversify into other markets online that are less time consuming for some extra income to grow my drop ship site.

In my opinion writing is a good market to be in, especially now since panda and penguin, people are moving towards higher quality copy writing and less junk - which is great! Content marketing is the next big thing and good copy writers can ask premium prices for their services. Although you'll always have the 'editorial control' when selling your services but it's a good way to make those shillings to fund your passion for writing what you want and speaking your mind.

Perhaps I'll call on you to write me some epic content for marketing my site - would you be keen?

You'll see me around for sure!

Thanks
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for making me feel welcome! From your introduction it's clear that EP values their members and of course the content that is posted here, I like that, since there are so many dead beat forums out there with a whole lot of junk and spam. Good to know EP is different.

I originally found EP because I am looking for a site to purchase, I'd like to add to what I'm doing now with something less demanding, basically to fund my main drop ship business and specifically the marketing plan I have for it. I did a Google search and one of the results was EP, I came here and poked around a little, read some posts and decided I'd like to stay!

I have been dabbling with 'working online' since 2010 but got burned a few times and then gave up. Then last year after my dad passed away I decided to take everything I've learned and give it one more go, I'm by no means living large and as I said before, it's not my goal. I just want the freedom to learn, grow and contribute to my surroundings. While I'm working at home I hang out with my two German Shepherd's Charley and Zeze.

I do speak Afrikaans fluently, and speak it at home with my better half. We have a Dutch friend and it's always funny how easy it is for us to understand her but she struggles to understand us. We've figured it's because the Afrikaans language has been so far removed from its Mother tongue, we've had some great laughs when we discover the different meanings for the same words. What's also amazing is that Flemish is almost identical to Afrikaans, very easy to read and understand.

Ok, so I think I've waffled on enough for now!

Great to be here and thanks again for having me!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gabi For This Useful Post:

JimWaller (19 April 2014), TheodoreK (20 April 2014)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Hi again, Gabi,

Sorry to hear of the loss of your dad.

I see you've found Theo via the Services Offered forum. Hope that's helped with your need for website content.

I'm fascinated by some of your business plans. It looks as though you've really got it all figured out. I envy you in a way as I tend to jump into things and end up wondering how to get out of the messes I get myself into. LOL. And drop-shipping, that's not an easy business for a beginner (although some people make money selling courses saying it is easy). I'm chomping at the bit to pick your brains about that. It's not that I have any plans at all to do drop-shipping, more a case that all kinds of business, especially online business, fascinates me and I like to learn about how everything works (or doesn't).

Don't tell us too much here in public in case someone pinches your ideas, but I hope you won't mind if I ask this. Does your business involve Amazon at all?
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

TheodoreK (20 April 2014)

Thanks
    Hi Kay,

Sorry for my late reply. I did type a whole long reply but I think the server timed me out so when I hit post reply it didn't actually post. I didn't realize this until I returned from a short break away and logged in here. Doh!

I'll leave the long reply for an article or blog post but to answer your question briefly, the drop shipping I was involved in previously did involve Amazon. However, the margins with drop shipping are already small so having Amazon in the mix just ate into profits. So now, all my drop shipping is done straight from the distributor. Ideally I'd like to drop ship from the manufacturer but it's notoriously difficult to get a manufacturer to agree to drop ship. They don't want the hassle I guess, but it would be great for my margins!

So for now, I'm just building relationships with manufacturers by sending over useful information I find regarding the industry. I do it in a no-strings attached way like "hey, I just saw this great (resource) I thought you might find interesting. Sometimes, I'll contact them to pick their brains about something regarding the industry and my business. They are great at sharing what they know, as long as it won't jeopardize their business - so no business secrets revealed! Luckily I'm in a niche where manufacturers absolutely never sell to the public so there's no chance of competition from them.

Hopefully my efforts will pay off! But until then, working with the distributors is fine, it pays the bills!

P.S: you're welcome to ask me anything, if I don't want to answer publicly I'll PM you.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gabi For This Useful Post:

crabfoot (20 May 2014), grynge (15 May 2014), JimWaller (15 May 2014), Kay (15 May 2014), lauravw (11 June 2014), timginn (15 May 2014)

Top Contributor grynge is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 944 Posts
    Hi Gabi,

I also do a lot of drop shipping here in Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Gabi View Post
    Ideally I'd like to drop ship from the manufacturer but it's notoriously difficult to get a manufacturer to agree to drop ship. They don't want the hassle I guess, but it would be great for my margins!
    I found here in Australia if I mentioned drop shipping the wholesalers and manufacturers I deal with were very unreceptive, so I chose a different method, I merely asked them if they would send to my customers while invoicing me, and so nearly all have agreed to that, they do it mostly anyway when dealing with different business locations so it isn't a big deal, I think they just have a shoddy image of drop shipping.

Luckily I'm in a niche where manufacturers absolutely never sell to the public so there's no chance of competition from them.
    You are very lucky in that regards. I have in the past few months had a couple of my wholesalers enter with online shops. Which does suck because to me they don't put enough profit on to make it worthwhile to compete with them, its easy to make a little more when you are already making a profit. I don't know if you have access to it but I am doing a test case for one of my sites in the Premium Forum. I am (after a long hiatus) trying to take the site from a $xx per month site to a worthwhile income.

Anyway good luck with your ventures it's always good to have a sounding board for some thoughts on drop shipping, hopefully we can bounce some off each other.
    And they thought me broken, that my tongue was coated lead, but I just couldn't make my words make sense to them, if you only listen with your ears ... I can't get in
    Non ducor, duco

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grynge For This Useful Post:

Gabi (16 May 2014), JimWaller (15 May 2014), Kay (15 May 2014)

Thanks
    Hi grynge,

Nice to meet a fellow drop ship merchant, I'll be joining the premium forum soon, would love to read your case study!

Before I got into the niche I'm in now I had a few sites tank due to competition from distributors. That was my own fault though, I was relatively new to the business model and didn't think things through. Live and learn!

Thanks for the tip on approaching manufacturers! I'll certainly give it a try since one distributor I work with has recently brought in a program fee, so going to the manufacturer might be the only way to avoid paying it. Although I'm only due to pay it from next year since I'm already on the program. They say it's to weed out time wasters which I totally understand, it's just annoying for those of us who are serious about our business.

Yes, I'd like very much to also bounce ideas with you, I'm always open to learning and sharing what I know.

Have a great day!

Top Contributor grynge is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 944 Posts
    Hi grynge,

Nice to meet a fellow drop ship merchant, I'll be joining the premium forum soon, would love to read your case study!

Before I got into the niche I'm in now I had a few sites tank due to competition from distributors. That was my own fault though, I was relatively new to the business model and didn't think things through. Live and learn!

Thanks for the tip on approaching manufacturers! I'll certainly give it a try since one distributor I work with has recently brought in a program fee, so going to the manufacturer might be the only way to avoid paying it. Although I'm only due to pay it from next year since I'm already on the program. They say it's to weed out time wasters which I totally understand, it's just annoying for those of us who are serious about our business.

Yes, I'd like very much to also bounce ideas with you, I'm always open to learning and sharing what I know.

Have a great day!
    In my past B&M most of the wholesalers did drop shipping anyway, they just didn't know it, it is nothing in the building industry to have your product delivered to a work site and be invoiced to a main office, so that was how I approached them.

In my test case ask any question you want, I will endeavour to answer them or if you give me a suggestion I will probably try that as well. Look forward to bouncing some ideas as well.
    And they thought me broken, that my tongue was coated lead, but I just couldn't make my words make sense to them, if you only listen with your ears ... I can't get in
    Non ducor, duco