+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The many woes of hosting

Dormant Account
    Thanks

The many woes of hosting

So today I'm having a great joy of moving all my sites from a server that's been down for 15 hours since yesterday (thank you, Hostgator) and it's made me realize that my backup process sucks. No site should be down for that long even if the worst happens.

Basically I only have db backups remotely, and incomplete file backups on my hard drive. Should the server go down permanently with no recovery, I'd be stuck rebuilding most of the sites from... I've actually no idea how I'd rebuild them.

So here's a question to ponder - what's a good way to deal with backups? It would be easy enough with small sites with few files, but some of the sites are up to 10GB - how do you backup those remotely? Surely, it's too taxing on the server and bandwidth to do that daily and less frequent backup won't be efficient enough.

And in addition to that, what's the fastest way to go back up on a different server should the original one take too long to get back (if at all)? Keeping a spare server is too expensive. Cloud hosting?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saul For This Useful Post:

Clinton (17 April 2014), Kay (17 April 2014)

Thanks
    A service like myrepono.com might work well for you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to petertdavis For This Useful Post:

Saul (17 April 2014)

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    I found a Wordpress plug-in recently, recommended by some very expensive hosting people. They said that if a site was backed up with that system, they could switch it to their new hosting very easily.

http://experienced-people.net/forums...9869#post69869
    Might help ...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Saul (17 April 2014)

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    I have problems with my ISP - have to access via odd means at the mo - http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    So today I'm having a great joy of moving all my sites from a server that's been down for 15 hours since yesterday (thank you, Hostgator) and it's made me realize that my backup process sucks. No site should be down for that long even if the worst happens.
    I've sen Hostgator quality going down a lot in the last year, both in support and hosting... I switched to another popular provider (not sure I can advertise it here) and much happiersince then.

So here's a question to ponder - what's a good way to deal with backups? It would be easy enough with small sites with few files, but some of the sites are up to 10GB - how do you backup those remotely? Surely, it's too taxing on the server and bandwidth to do that daily and less frequent backup won't be efficient enough.
    rsync is a *nix utility that does differential backups, meaning that only backs up new or changed files. It can be setup across two different *nix servers and scheduled.

And in addition to that, what's the fastest way to go back up on a different server should the original one take too long to get back (if at all)? Keeping a spare server is too expensive. Cloud hosting?
    What's cloud hosting anyway? It's just a marketing buzzword to me.
    Having two servers/hostings and switching the DNS resolution is probably the most affordable solution, but I would say that the solution to your problems is to invest in a better hosting that already provides backup and a SLA.

Just my thoughts

9. The Following User Says Thank You to danieleB For This Useful Post:

Bryan (19 April 2014)

aka "bryanon"
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danieleB View Post
    ... but I would say that the solution to your problems is to invest in a better hosting that already provides backup and a SLA.

Just my thoughts
    Call me paranoid, but personally I still wouldn't feel good unless I knew that a(n additional) backup was held somewhere remote, i.e. out of the control of my main hosting provider.

That's because I also want to be safe if the hosting company goes tits up or if the whole storage unit (or worse - server farm) burns down.

Obviously that's a bit of an overkill for small, relatively unimportant site but for anything that directly influences your income and would take significant time to restore I would always go with regular external backups.

Personally, I've got several VPS's (with different providers) and each VPS backs itself up into another VPS. So with 3 VPS's, the system would be:

VPS A backs up to VPS B
    VPS B backs up to VPS C
    VPS C backs up to VPS A

And as Daniele pointed out above, rsync can get this done without wasting 10GB per day in bandwidth to keep the backup of a 10GB site up to date.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:

danieleB (19 April 2014)

Top Contributor grynge is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 944 Posts
    With my servers, I run a second hdd, as I prefer cpanel, I use it to backup all the sites to the system drive as well as the backup hdd, in the event 1 drive dies I still have the backups, I also download the backup whenever I make changes or if I remember as well so I have a local latest copy. It costs a bit more with most server to have the second hdd but what is that worth should a hdd die?
    And they thought me broken, that my tongue was coated lead, but I just couldn't make my words make sense to them, if you only listen with your ears ... I can't get in
    Non ducor, duco

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grynge View Post
    With my servers, I run a second hdd, as I prefer cpanel, I use it to backup all the sites to the system drive as well as the backup hdd, in the event 1 drive dies I still have the backups, I also download the backup whenever I make changes or if I remember as well so I have a local latest copy. It costs a bit more with most server to have the second hdd but what is that worth should a hdd die?
    Hi grynge,
    I would expect any computer that qualifies to be called a "server" to have at least two HDDs in mirror (data written in parallel on them) or any other RAID technique to avoid the problem you mention

The most common in the server world is the RAID 5, where data is split across multiple HDDs and one HDD is reserved for the "parity bit".
    This allows to reconstruct the data that was in a failed HDD starting from the "parity bit" information.

There are plenty of resources to read more about it, but my point is that any "server" should provide some redundancy and high availability for the most delicate parts (HDD, power supply..).

Top Contributor grynge is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danieleB View Post
    Hi grynge,
    I would expect any computer that qualifies to be called a "server" to have at least two HDDs in mirror (data written in parallel on them) or any other RAID technique to avoid the problem you mention
    You wouldn't believe this but I have had a raid controller die on me. So now I use 2 separate hdd's not on raid if one dies I still have the backups, if the raid controller dies I still have a backup.
    And they thought me broken, that my tongue was coated lead, but I just couldn't make my words make sense to them, if you only listen with your ears ... I can't get in
    Non ducor, duco

+ Reply to Thread