+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who does marketing for your business?

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

Who does marketing for your business?

I suspect some others are like me - a jack of all trades having to wear many hats and perform many different tasks, including marketing. Do you do your own marketing?

Perhaps you outsource it. How did you choose who to outsource it to?

Maybe we even have some full-time marketers here. C'mon! Share your marketing secrets with us.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Marketing Mentor Mikl is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Sorry to see you didn't get any responses to this post, Kay - not least because it's such an important topic for most of us.

I'm not sure if I've got any "marketing secrets" to share. But I firmly believe that marketing is not something that should be outsourced - especially if you are selling any sort of professional or personal service. To a large extent in those cases, the product being sold is not the service, but the person providing it. It is you that the customer is interested in: your skills, your enthusiasm, your attitude. A third party simply can't communicate those qualities as well as you can yourself.

That said, you can perhaps outsource certain marketing tasks, like collecting leads and identifying decision makers. It's at the point where you actually talk to the potential customers that you need to take a hands-on approach.

At least, that's my opinion. Does anyone have any direct experience of outsourcing marketing? Any other views on the matter?

Mike

aka "meathead1234" Thomas is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikl View Post
    Sorry to see you didn't get any responses to this post, Kay - not least because it's such an important topic for most of us.

I'm not sure if I've got any "marketing secrets" to share. But I firmly believe that marketing is not something that should be outsourced - especially if you are selling any sort of professional or personal service. To a large extent in those cases, the product being sold is not the service, but the person providing it. It is you that the customer is interested in: your skills, your enthusiasm, your attitude. A third party simply can't communicate those qualities as well as you can yourself.

That said, you can perhaps outsource certain marketing tasks, like collecting leads and identifying decision makers. It's at the point where you actually talk to the potential customers that you need to take a hands-on approach.

At least, that's my opinion. Does anyone have any direct experience of outsourcing marketing? Any other views on the matter?

Mike
    Mike,

How can you scale a business if you don't outsource marketing (unless you're happy just doing freelance, of course)? I built up to 7 figure turnover doing marketing myself but this year I've needed to start bringing people in to help. Mine is a high end service so I tend to speak to all clients myself when they come in, but getting the leads in the first place can be outsourced.

With other sites I have owned, I almost never do any marketing myself and always outsource. It's not scalable to build a portfolio and market yourself, nor do I believe anyone has the skills to do everything required.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Thomas For This Useful Post:

KenW3 (6 June 2014)

Publishing Mentor dsieg58 is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 565 Posts
    I've done both. Marketed myself, and outsourced the marketing, both online and offline. I tend to outsource more of my online marketing, and do offline marketing myself. It also depends on how one defines marketing. If one defines it as anything and everything a business does to get, and keep customers, then it involves every aspect of the business and parts HAVE to be outsourced. If it is defined simply as "getting leads," then, of course, that can be outsourced. When it comes to marketing you first have to know what you're doing. You might have 10 marketing tools (or 100) in your tool box, but maybe 1 or 2 of them will actually work. It means measuring and tracking. Once you know what works, THEN it can be outsourced. Another aspect with outsourcing your marketing, is you need hands-on experience enough to know when you're being buffaloed and BS'ed. Copywriters and SEO pros are a good case in point. Those guys can come with more reasons why something doesn't work (And your money is spent) than anyone I know. But once I've gotten to that point, and know exactly what I'm doing, why, and what I expect to achieve, my philosophy is do the parts I like doing, (Graphic design) and outsource the rest.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dsieg58 For This Useful Post:

KenW3 (6 June 2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    How can you scale a business if you don't outsource marketing ... I almost never do any marketing myself and always outsource. It's not scalable to build a portfolio and market yourself, nor do I believe anyone has the skills to do everything required.
    I would have thought the opposite was true. The larger your business grows, the more easily you can afford the resources to do the marketing in-house. It's the tiny one- or two- person businesses, where the owners are running round trying to do all things at once, that are most tempted to outsource.

But I do agree that that not everyone has the necessary skills.

Mike

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikl View Post
    I would have thought the opposite was true. The larger your business grows, the more easily you can afford the resources to do the marketing in-house.
    My experience has been that the larger a company becomes, the more it will outsource marketing to companies that can help growth. Even for the largest of corporations, there's no reason to run its own internal advertising agency when they can afford to outsource to the best. When there are marketing companies that can be contracted to provide specialties in branding, social strategy, viral campaign design, SWOT analysis, demo and focus group interviews, etc., large companies can afford the best outsourced talent.

Quote Originally Posted by dsieg58 View Post
    Another aspect with outsourcing your marketing, is you need hands-on experience enough to know when you're being buffaloed and BS'ed.
    Marketing is a very broad definition which covers everything done to sell a product or a service. I agree, when it comes to marketing, the greatest attribute a business owner can have is the ability to hire the best they can get for the money available to spend. When outsourcing small or large business marketing projects, eLance-oDesk.com has useful marketing service providers at reasonable prices.

Thanks
    Good comments from everyone. Thank you all.

KenW mentioned how large corporations use external advertising agencies, which is clearly true. I don't usually think of advertising as being the same as marketing. I suppose it's more like a subset of marketing. But is that a valid assumption? Is it feasible to use an external advertising agency, but to retain the wider marketing function in house?

Mike

+ Reply to Thread