+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is marketing facing a paradigm shift?

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

Is marketing facing a paradigm shift?

Here's an article saying how social media has changed how people do marketing.

http://www.business2community.com/ma...0841735#!EHVmT

Some of it is fairly obvious and predictable but the comparisons between the two "generations" ie traditional and digital are quite interesting.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (18 April 2014), Fiveleaves (7 May 2014)

Top Contributor
    France. Between Limoges and Brive la Gaillarde.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    There's also the current attitude of not looking at ROI among the social media lot -with a warning in a linked article that this will change, and some analysis that says you need hundreds of thousands of fans to get many sales, just like any other technique for advertising.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chabrenas For This Useful Post:

Kay (18 April 2014)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Good point, although these days there seems to be general consensus that social isn't good for sales anyway. It's used for reaching out, engaging with your audience and, I guess, for branding. I'm not sure how you could directly measure the ROI of some of these activities.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Thanks
    I don't think its a paradigm shift. Marketing has "traditionally" been about the spectrum between making people aware of something, through to getting them to act. The effective ways of doing this have changed continuously over time as the customers have changed. If a lot of people are using social media a lot of the time, then social media becomes a new channel of communications.
    For example, one principle of "traditional" marketing is to know and understand your customer's behaviour and personality. If you put that into practice, you indeed work out that they may be spending a lot of time on social media, expect to interact directly with you, and so on.
    Perhaps a good way of looking at it therefore is to see how customers have changed - driven by technology and social factors - in recent years, and to change strategy accordingly. Any "traditional generation" marketer worth their salt and applying good marketing principles would be doing this already.

In general I would agree with the emerging consensus that Kay mentioned - I've yet to see a convincing repeatable model of hard revenue generation with social media. I think in some ways it is becoming the new TV Advertising - building brands, building relationships, personalising products and companies.. reaching people in the ways they are willing to be reached.

I just listened to an audiobook of "Decoding the New Consumer Mind" by Kit Yarrow. She's not a marketer but a research psychologist who studies consumers. Well worth a listen if you are interested.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fiveleaves For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (8 May 2014), Clinton (8 May 2014), Kay (7 May 2014)

Established Member
    Thanks
    I've always considered social media better suited for brand building and customer service than for 'direct' marketing. Companies like Red Bull seem to be very good at this, connecting with their target market. Likewise virgin. Anyone trying to blatantly sell on social media can find it may backfire on them as they are easily 'unfriended' or 'unfollowed'.
    No actual evidence to support this, its just my own thoughts and how I react to direct selling

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    @Nidec, I agree and there have been several studies and reports which say the same thing. It's kinda old news that social media isn't good for selling and even that it's not good for customer acquisition either. I guess it depends on how they define "customer acquisition". I would have thought that reaching out, connecting and branding were ultimately about customer acquisition too.

Established Member
    Thanks
    Kay, I follow you on where branding etc eventually lead but its the people who just post 'click here for x% off...' or 'take a look at our sale' etc that grind my gears. Perhaps it is more effective in some countries/cultures than others. Its just not for me.

+ Reply to Thread