+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top EU court rules that Google has to remove irrelevant links...

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

Top EU court rules that Google has to remove irrelevant links...

... if people request them to. I don't know what to make of this. In some ways it seems like a nice idea but completely unworkable.

What's your take on it?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...s-9360707.html
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Top Contributor grynge is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 944 Posts
    I think it is a great idea, for years I have said that we need an opt out for our personal information, why should a company I have never given permission to be allowed to keep any information on me?
    Just because its freely available? Well that is ok for a person to go to the effort of looking it up but not for a company that scrapes it from whatever source to be used for something I never gave my permission for it to be used for.

I just wish my government would take a similar step.
    And they thought me broken, that my tongue was coated lead, but I just couldn't make my words make sense to them, if you only listen with your ears ... I can't get in
    Non ducor, duco

3. The Following User Says Thank You to grynge For This Useful Post:

Kay (15 May 2014)

Top Contributor
    France. Between Limoges and Brive la Gaillarde.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Pandora's box, and a nonsense. Removing it from Google's index doesn't remove it from the web. What we do need to do is ask Google to keep their index up-to-date, removing dead links quickly.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I wonder what happens when for example, in Australia minor criminal records are for want of a better word expunged from being available to the public after 10 years, (they are kept on record for judicial purposes forever) I would say most countries have a similar option, yet the search engines and data collectors can keep this information forever. Shouldn't they have to obey the laws like everyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Chabrenas View Post
    Pandora's box, and a nonsense. Removing it from Google's index doesn't remove it from the web. What we do need to do is ask Google to keep their index up-to-date, removing dead links quickly.
    Shouldn't that be up to the search engine to keep upto date? Why should it be an individuals responsibility to have data removed? You can't even say because it would be time consuming, they say they can code for other intangible things surely their algorythm could be coded to remove bankruptcy information after a certain period, remove criminal record history after a certain period.
    Last edited by Kay; 15 May 2014 at 7:40 am. Reason: To merge posts
    And they thought me broken, that my tongue was coated lead, but I just couldn't make my words make sense to them, if you only listen with your ears ... I can't get in
    Non ducor, duco

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chabrenas View Post
    Removing it from Google's index doesn't remove it from the web.
    But it just being "on the web" is not what concerns most people. Newspaper archives are on the web so info on an individual's criminal activity, for example, is still available even past the period when it's considered "spent". Just like court records etc., can be accessed even decades or centuries later.

The problem is that Google directs people to that information and makes it soooo easy to find. Even misleading and malicious material. Directing people to information is Google's raison d'etre but should we as a society have absolutely no say in what a commercial entity does in this regard? What about when SEOs and PR people manipulate SERPs to show a particular person in a bad light? Or Google themselves decide to "favour" a particular religion, ideology, political party or legislative discussion via what historical documents they lead searchers to? Google already use their size to unfairly push down competitors as has been proven by court cases that went against them.

Shouldn't that be up to the search engine to keep upto date? Why should it be an individuals responsibility to have data removed?
    Tony, this is something most people struggle to see. I fear you and I are in the minority. At the BBC coverage of this story where people can post their feedback, all the highest "liked" posts are those in support of Google and against this court decision.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (16 May 2014), Fish (22 May 2014), grynge (15 May 2014)

Marketing Mentor Mikl is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    I agree with Chabrenas. The court is attacking the wrong target. There is definitely a strong argument in favour of the "right to be forgotten". But the obligation should be on the person who publishes the information, not a third party (Google in this case) who is simply reporting the fact that the information has been published.

It's a common mistake to believe that Google is the web, and that removing something Google is the same as taking it completely off line. I'm surprised to see the EU court making that mistake.

Mike

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikl For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (16 May 2014)

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    Google isn't simply reporting the fact that information has been published. It is getting to choose which past information about you it should send searchers to. That's a power that can (and will) be used for evil.

The argument about the publisher is a different one. I don't think publishers should be made to take down information just like I wouldn't support newpapers and magazines having to police every library to remove past issues once a certain date has passed.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Thanks
    So, if I think that all of the links to my competitors' websites are irrelevant, then all I have to do is request Google to remove them? How's that not a huge win for the free Internet?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petertdavis View Post
    So, if I think that all of the links to my competitors' websites are irrelevant, then all I have to do is request Google to remove them? How's that not a huge win for the free Internet?
    Only if those links are about you, and are indeed irrelevant then yes google should remove them. The onus would then be on your competitor to prove they were relevant.

If I was to place a bogus site about you and had irrelevant information on that site. You take me to court and win a claim of libel/slander but I am hosted in a country outside of your countries legal reach, why should I profit from the traffic google could send?
    Non ducor, duco

13. The Following User Says Thank You to grynge For This Useful Post:

Clinton (16 May 2014)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I can't understand some of the mentality, why should any company, any person be allowed to keep any information about me for any amount of time that they like? and worse still if that information is completely wrong, and before you say no the search engines don't keep that information, how do you think they work? They spider and store every piece of information they can.
    Non ducor, duco

+ Reply to Thread