+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Site for sale by no 1 website broker

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    We may joke about it, but the fact that someone can make such outrageous and totally unsupported claims, and throw up a somewhat respectable looking (on the surface) site for the price of obtaining a URL is symptomatic of the problems of the industry. How can legitimate internet businesses of any stripe distinguish themselves from the scammers and liars?
    Hi David,
    I see it the other way: a legitimate business knows that a nice URL and a compelling copy are not enough anymore.

There are people in the industry that work hard to establish them self as authority.
    They provide top quality information to their audience and luckily some of them are reading this forum and participate to discussions.
    They are transparent and support their claims with facts.

I can drop names if needed

2. The Following User Says Thank You to danieleB For This Useful Post:

David S (20 May 2014)

Established Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danieleB View Post
    There are people in the industry that work hard to establish them self as authority.
    They provide top quality information to their audience and luckily some of them are reading this forum and participate to discussions.
    They are transparent and support their claims with facts.
    Oh, I agree with that. The participants in this forum can smell a scam immediately, as can many other intelligent and careful people. The problem I see is that there are still way too many people who can't tell the difference.

I don't have a solution. Even professions that have relatively strong self-policing mechanisms like doctors, lawyers, Realtors and securities brokers have their share of scoundrels. I think the only hope is that people like the participants on EP will continue to share their knowledge and experience and will sound the warning bell for the less sophisticated.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David S For This Useful Post:

Kay (21 May 2014), TheodoreK (21 May 2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Oh, I agree with that. The participants in this forum can smell a scam immediately, as can many other intelligent and careful people. The problem I see is that there are still way too many people who can't tell the difference.

I don't have a solution. Even professions that have relatively strong self-policing mechanisms like doctors, lawyers, Realtors and securities brokers have their share of scoundrels. I think the only hope is that people like the participants on EP will continue to share their knowledge and experience and will sound the warning bell for the less sophisticated.
    The "less sophisticated" as you call them will learn their lesson
    My point was that legitimate internet businesses operating in this industry DO have a way to differenciate from scammers and liers, that was your previous question.

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danieleb
    The "less sophisticated" as you call them will learn their lesson
    Yes, but at what cost? It doesn't matter so much if people get their fingers burnt for a couple of hundred bucks. Perhaps it gives them a reality check so they stop believing all the nonsense and hype. But we've had people on here who only found us after they'd been stung for a lot of money. The folks here have managed to save them in many cases. And perhaps we also managed to save others we never even heard from.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS
    The problem I see is that there are still way too many people who can't tell the difference.
    It's not always easy to tell, especially when it involves someone with an otherwise good reputation. It can be hard to tell if they're a scoundrel or not. Sometimes people post warnings which I can't let through pre-mod because of how the complainant has worded it - too many forum rule breaches. If only they'd just toned it down a bit it might have passed muster and been there for all to see. Whilst we don't censor people from posting about their experiences, we have to consider the legal implications of what we publish. I expect that's tough on those whose posts don't make it through, but we have to be mindful of the law. And that can lead to the unhappy person accusing us of hiding the alleged scam rather than publishing. This is especially true when the alleged scammer is one of our members. For all the warning bells we do sound in public, there are more than a few which go unpublished and therefore unheard.

In this Internet Marketing game, reputation can be everything. I'm sure we've all seen some complete villains with guru status, loved and revered by all their followers. There are far too many people who are taken in by reputation rather than seeing through it to the truth. And those joining the industry see the importance of reputation and start building it from day one, hence the plethora of "leading brokers" and "number ones" we see from people who have barely got started. Is it just "fake it till you make it" or is it a more serious breach of ethics?
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

KenW3 (21 May 2014)

Thanks
    The most annoying part of dishonest people selling on Flippa is that they use language which can be interpreted in many ways, depending on who is reading it. For example:

"You could potentially earn a lot with this site. It has ran on autopilot for a year making a steady return with no work been carried. The site has been neglected a bit and not much time has been spent on it, but with the right person, this could grow into a huge business...
    How much work is involved?

None! Just paste your AdSense code in and you’re all set."

Seriously?????

An inexperienced person may look at that and think "great, sounds easy" but in reality we know that it's not as easy as pasting your adsense code in and taking a long vacation to the Bahamas. That's BS, where has any business; online or bricks and mortar ever run on autopilot?

I have bought several websites off Flippa in the past and I learned the hard way. Thankfully I didn't lose all my savings and I have made money off a couple of these. My personal opinion regarding my experience with the few sites I bought that tanked is that the money spent was my uni online uni fees. But unfortunately not everyone gets off that easy.

The fact is that Flippa is crap! A while back I bought a site off them that is now doing quite well but I had endless problems with the seller. He wasn't providing the things clearly stated in the listing and when I contacted Flippa they threatened him with a ban. Well big f..ing deal! They make no effort to help their buyers and that's because they have so many of them it's no skin off their noses if a buyer never comes back.

The other line scoundrel sellers use is one like this:

"Why am I selling Essex Business Club?
    The site has been neglected and we don't have much time to work on the site any more. With the right person, this could become huge, but maybe we aren't the right people.

Also, I'd like a boat for the summer"

If I had a penny for every time I've seen the "I don't have time for the site" line.. The sad thing is that inexperienced buyers don't realize how much work goes into making a site successful.

Sorry for jumping in here with my rant!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gabi For This Useful Post:

Clinton (23 May 2014), David S (22 May 2014), KenW3 (21 May 2014)

Thanks
    The "I don't have time for the site" line usually comes in the paragraph after the "this turnkey site takes literally no time to run" line.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to petertdavis For This Useful Post:

Clinton (23 May 2014), Gabi (23 May 2014), Kay (22 May 2014), TryBPO (22 May 2014)

Established Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petertdavis View Post
    The "I don't have time for the site" line usually comes in the paragraph after the "this turnkey site takes literally no time to run" line.
    In my case "I don't have time..." precludes almost everything I need to do and it would certainly be true with respect to the small handful of websites that I thought I would get around to on that mythical "someday."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to David S For This Useful Post:

Gabi (23 May 2014)

+ Reply to Thread