+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Site for sale by no 1 website broker

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

Site for sale by no 1 website broker

Can someone please explain what's going on here?

Included amongst Flippa's latest "featured listings" is EssexBusinessClub.com. I liked the sound of the name so I clicked through to look.
    https://flippa.com/3072939-business-...71-mo-must-see

Hmm. Interesting.

In the "about me" in the listing it says:

My name is Andrew Dewar (although you can call me Andy) and I am Senior Broker and CEO at AGD International, a leading website brokerage firm. I was originally born in Glasgow, Scotland, but I now live in Essex, England.
    And it mentions the AGD website later and he recommends you should check him out there: http://www.agdinternational.com/.

I'd not previously heard of this "leading broker" so I was curious to have a look. It's an interesting website, which includes the claim, "We are the number one website broker". Number one of what, it doesn't say. And if you scroll down to the bottom of the page it says, copyright 2023 (sic) "Website coming soon".

What's Mr Dewar trying to achieve? Anyone know?

Edit: There's only one site for sale on the AGD site and it refers to this other Flippa listing.
    https://flippa.com/3031622-site-with...making-1541-mo
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

petertdavis (16 May 2014), TheodoreK (20 May 2014)

Top Contributor grynge is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 944 Posts
    Lol that brokerage site is on the free wix website builder thing, so I can see the total professionalism already starting.

Hmmm they sold a site "rocksity" that I can't find a website for on my usual search engine so I went back to google and still can't find a site called that.
    And they thought me broken, that my tongue was coated lead, but I just couldn't make my words make sense to them, if you only listen with your ears ... I can't get in
    Non ducor, duco

4. The Following User Says Thank You to grynge For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (20 May 2014)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Rocksity.com is currently FTR on NameCheap. All the other usual TLDs are available too.

I wonder what happened to it after it was sold by AGD for 232,000 - according to the testimonial from Niem Cheng.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (20 May 2014), grynge (16 May 2014)

Thanks
    Well, I for one believe his claim. After all, how much would it really take to be "the number one website broker" (quote from his website) in Colchester, Essex, UK? Actually, I just Googled Colchester and it looks like it's a decent sized city of 100,000 people, so I'd buy his claim of being "a leading website brokerage firm" (quote from his flippa listing) in Colchester, because he's got to at least be in the top ten, amiright? The site he's selling isn't something that would interest me at all, but if I were living in Essex and wanted to start a business club then I might pay a few hundred for it. It's definitely not worth thousands.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petertdavis For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (20 May 2014), grynge (16 May 2014)

Thanks
    Everyone can be a broker those days.
    I'm quite disappointed by much more famous leading brokers in the industry.
    Some bad things I experienced:
    - seller claims not verified at all
    - inability to provide any support with legal contracts

I would not be surprised if Mr Dewar can do better.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danieleB View Post
    Everyone can be a broker those days.
    I'm quite disappointed by much more famous leading brokers in the industry.
    Some bad things I experienced:
    - seller claims not verified at all
    - inability to provide any support with legal contracts

I would not be surprised if Mr Dewar can do better.

I agree. The only substantial difference I've seen lately between broker listings and Flippa listings is that the brokers want a higher multiple. In fact, I'm seeing more and more failed listings from Flippa end up on broker listings. And I'm just sitting there wondering why, if nobody wanted to buy it at 2X do they think it will sell for 5X.

aka "meathead1234" Thomas is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petertdavis View Post
    I agree. The only substantial difference I've seen lately between broker listings and Flippa listings is that the brokers want a higher multiple. In fact, I'm seeing more and more failed listings from Flippa end up on broker listings. And I'm just sitting there wondering why, if nobody wanted to buy it at 2X do they think it will sell for 5X.
    Over the last few years, I've seen a ton of new brokers (I'm sure you have experienced the same) but very few who actually do anything properly. It's almost as if it's been pitched to the MMO crowd as a new easy way to make money

I can't comment on the higher multiples (especially 2x vs 5x) but quite often sellers will try themselves on Flippa and fail to sell - not due to the quality of the site but the way they pitch it. A broker will add value just by asking the right questions, preparing everything professionally (at least you'd hope) and being able to get more exposure than a Flippa listing alone to qualified buyers. I've quite often picked up leads from failed Flippa/broker listings and gone on to sell them - there's not always anything wrong with the site, it's often just a case of pitching it properly. Buyers (in my experience) are always willing to pay a fair/good multiple through a broker who has put the effort into prepare everything in detail - the implication is the site is quality if that much effort has gone in. Obviously, that's not always the case, but most buyers (especially the less experienced who aren't bargain hunting) will always pay more for brokered vs. Flippa/dodgy brokered listings.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thomas For This Useful Post:

David S (20 May 2014), Kay (19 May 2014), timginn (19 May 2014)

Senior Member TheodoreK is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post

I'd not previously heard of this "leading broker" so I was curious to have a look. It's an interesting website, which includes the claim, "We are the number one website broker". Number one of what, it doesn't say. And if you scroll down to the bottom of the page it says, copyright 2023 (sic) "Website coming soon".

What's Mr Dewar trying to achieve? Anyone know?

It's from the future, folks!

In nine years from now, website brokers will unlock the secret of uploading content back in time, so Mr. Dewar is probably trying to reach us through time and space to tell us that he's going to be #1 broker in 2023!

Invest in him how and you might be billionaires in less than a decade!

Established Member
    Thanks
    We may joke about it, but the fact that someone can make such outrageous and totally unsupported claims, and throw up a somewhat respectable looking (on the surface) site for the price of obtaining a URL is symptomatic of the problems of the industry. How can legitimate internet businesses of any stripe distinguish themselves from the scammers and liars?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to David S For This Useful Post:

Kay (20 May 2014)

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    The terminology in adspeak for such doubletalk is "hanging claim".

This Quality Comment was brought to you by Britain's leading Coronation Programme Seller.

+ Reply to Thread