+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Epik Marketplace

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 709 Posts

Epik Marketplace

Epik has made significant major improvements to its domain name marketplace. Not counting forums, it is the only place I know of to list a domain for lease for a smaller seller. As you may know, Rob Monster leveraged a turnkey website creation program and service into buying a registrar service. The marketplace has evolved over the past few years.

There are other solutions to leasing such as NoktaDomains.com and GoForThe.com which was Zenscrow.com. I believe the upcoming launch of JointVentures.com from Rick Schwartz will offer only his names.

The cost of selling through the Epik Marketplace is low. For those of you familiar with their prior revenue domain and site sales process, Epik had Epik Bucks that were used to buy and sell domain names and revenue generating websites. (I have bought developed revenue domains and turnkeys from Epik in the past.) Now all accounts has funds that are held as Masterbucks. You can buy and sell and trade using Masterbucks without commissions. If you decide to withdraw your Masterbucks to PayPal (check or ACH), there is a 5% commission. This fee for cashing out a Masterbucks balance results in a very low cost to sell a domain.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KenW3 For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (22 June 2014), Clinton (24 May 2014), David S (27 May 2014), Kay (23 May 2014)

Established Member
    Thanks
    Maybe I should have paid closer attention to my Epik Bucks balance. I more or less gave up on them, and it now seems my account has been closed.

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Hi Bill, It probably wouldn't hurt to ask about it. I cashed mine out a long time ago. How have you been? Are you still in the far east or have you made it back here?

I also gave up on Epik when Google nailed their primary model and cost them a fortune. Some of that structure still exists, but isn't the focus. After the start (2009, I believe), Rob acquired InTrust in 2011. He bought their registrar operations, but passed on buying the brokerage arm. Epik has surprisingly low pricing for larger portfolio owners, so may be worth a second look for this and the following:

I don't believe this has been announced yet, but is worth watching for; Later this year, Epik.com will be releasing a Marketplace version which will allow domain portfolio owners to have their own branded marketplaces on their own domains. This should be a very interesting innovation; I am looking forward to trying it.

Established Member
    Thanks
    Ken, I'm still East with my family. No reason to live in the US again for me, especially with the direction it's headed.

I still have names that are blacklisted because of that Google fiasco. To relist one of those domains with Google, I simply removed the site and all its content from Epik and placed it on my own server. It was not only relisted within 48 hours, it got back its previous page rank and was on the first page again for a while. Google, in other words, was specifically targeting Epik and any sites they hosted. All in, I made some money, I lost some money. No longer know what my balance was, as I wrote it off. Seems the system is long gone (I was able to log in.)

Some of what Epik is doing looks interesting, but I'll wait and see if they follow through before jumping in. By marketplace, do you mean a website that lists our domains for sale? I ask because I haven't found that to be very effective for me - maybe because I don't have 1000s of domain names. All of my sales have come from people looking for a particular name. Rob has lots of good ideas, though, so I look every now and then.

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    I understand completely - it is rather stunning.

I also had names delisted. Rather than take the offer of a free and substantial upgrade from Epik, I redirected the names to my servers and put up adequate content. That fixed all but one, so I let the one drop. Clinton made mention of their difficulty when it occurred (posted before my time on EP). I didn't lose money with them and was able to leverage profits into more sites. That was long ago (in internet time)

I agree; Rob is creative. He also never does anything halfway. I didn't ask, so don't have the answer on details yet, but am expecting a typical white label solution with the site owner responsible for driving traffic to make sales of the available inventory.

+ Reply to Thread