+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another Flippa Scam I just Discovered

Thanks

Another Flippa Scam I just Discovered

Came across this listing recently and things just seemed weird from the start.

Doesn't really take a flippa scientist to see that it's basically a 1 month old site that receives 10K visits per day, with fake social followers, without any engagements and no real backlinks so that doesn't make much sense.

I posted a slightly more detailed research here.

The interesting thing is how much effort was put into it! Setting up social accounts, getting the fake followers, bumping up alexa, faking all the GA stats, getting some keywords to match with the site's pages (although the site of course doesn't rank for any of them) and basically loading up a big site with lots of amazon content. That's not some average opportunistic fraudster from DP!
    Surely many people would find things weird and inconsistent and you can even see some comments questioning it, but I can definitely see some first time buyers believing it. Even though it looks like all the bids currently are fake.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DomainMagnate For This Useful Post:

KenW3 (23 June 2014)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Great find, Michael. Although I guess you probably didn't have too far to look. I enjoyed your blog post about it too. I do that as well sometimes - blog on my own place about something that's relevant and being discussed here on EP.

Actually that listing made me want to puke, it was so awful. If anyone is daft enough to believe that, then it's hard to suggest other than they get what's coming to them.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Thanks
    Where's the good in this one Clinton? In fact, this is pretty typical of a Made For Flippa site. At least the ones I see (I limit my searches to sites with lots of traffic). This guy does a bit worse a job than average at presenting a facade though.

Thanks
    To flippa's credit, they checked my report and suspended the site pending further investigation.

Kay, you're right, but the seller does deserve some credit here for all the job! I mean for us it may just not seem right from the beginning, but an average newbie buyer would see that there are good social accounts with many followers, GA and amazon screens and may think it's all legit.

petertdavis, not much good in this one, but you can't really compare. In reality this is a site that probably never gotten any social or organic google traffic at all, unlike many flippa listings which may not be completely truthful, but are definitely not a complete fraud - as you usually get a site that will continue making some decent revenues after sale.
    Last edited by DomainMagnate; 19 June 2014 at 3:01 am.

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    To flippa's credit, they checked my report and suspended the site pending further investigation.
    I wonder if the suspension will be permanent. The last time we were discussing a listing which had activity which looked fraudulent to all of us, Flippa suspended it and then reinstated it because they said they didn't have proof of wrongdoing.
    http://experienced-people.net/forums...ding-on-Flippa
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    I wonder if the suspension will be permanent. The last time we were discussing a listing which had activity which looked fraudulent to all of us, Flippa suspended it and then reinstated it because they said they didn't have proof of wrongdoing.
    http://experienced-people.net/forums...ding-on-Flippa
    Yeah, hard to say if this will stick, guess we'll see.

However what bothers me more is not the individual cases, but rather the policy - people posting fraudulent listings with completely fake and made up numbers should be banned, with all their info saved (email, name, ip etc) so that next time they create an account it can be flagged/banned as well - because they'll almost certainly will.

Even if this guy's auction is suspended, he'll just register a new profile and try it with a new domain. He actually has several other very similar sites with similar domains, so I'm sure we'll see more of it.

Thanks
    just checked again and the listing was deleted, but the member profile is still active, so we might see another similar one soon.

+ Reply to Thread