Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Trial Member
    Thanks

Hello

Hello,

My name is Scott Brerton and I am based in Great Harwood, Lancashire. I am the owner of a small content writing and copywriting company called Karma Content which supplies original, informative and engaging content to companies and website owners across the UK and beyond. We're only small, just me and an assistant and everything is written by us.

Obviously websites are a huge part of my job, and I have bought some in the past, but only at a very low level. Domains have tended to be more my thing and I've been quite successful in the past buying and selling these, mainly .co.uk, but the odd .com as well. Website buying and building is something I'm looking at getting more and more involved in, as it represents a chance for me to add some more regular income than can be guaranteed by domain sales. I can supply myself with top-quality content, so it's a no-brainer really!

Anyway, thank you for reading this, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks
    Scott Brerton

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Hi Scott,

Welcome to Experienced People and thanks for introducing yourself. You might be a little surprised to know that we have lots of writers here already, so you'll find plenty of like-minded people. We're into various activities and writing projects, several of us are Kindle writers/publishers too. I've almost finished writing a book about buying websites, but I've not decided where to publish it yet. I guess Amazon is the obvious choice but I'm looking at other options too. Are you doing any writing other than for your business?

Looking forward to hearing more from you and reading some new original, informative and engaging content in your postings.

Kay
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Thank you Kay, I've been a 'browser' of the forums for some time, just never got around to registering for some reason! Regarding my writing, I mostly write and blog for other people/companies, but I have been thinking of going down the ebook route, maybe on SEO or content writing itself. I can see there are a lot of posts about ebook writing on here so I'll be having a good look at those. I suppose what it will all boil down to it whether it is worth the investment in time.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi again, Scott.

I always feel sad when people just browse, because we need people to post. It's not a discussion forum if people aren't discussing things.

If you think there's a lot about book publishing on the public forums here, you ain't seen nuthin' yet! We have a whole subforum in the Premium Lounge for Writers and Publishers with all kinds of good stuff in there, including a lot about marketing. It doesn't matter how good your book is, if you don't market it well then you might as well forget it, unless you're very lucky.

I suppose what it will all boil down to it whether it is worth the investment in time.
    That's the problem. Knowing what will sell. I first got into Kindle publishing through doing a challenge. I wrote a book in about a week. It's not my best work, as you can imagine. That book has gone on to make a tidy sum - not a best seller by any means, but enough to buy me a few decent pies and ales. Encouraged by that I later sweated blood over some other books which barely sell at all. They're more like a pint of lager and a packet of crisps books income-wise. Just a few more books of the first type and I'd be looking at brochures for private rowing boats... but, alas, the others sunk.

Aye, well. That's life.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Hi Kay,

What was the book you wrote in a week just out of interest? Is there a thread on here about it?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yes, there are threads here about me trying things, including my first ventures into publishing - most date back to the days when I was an EP moderator. Each of the mods had 'special responsibility' to look after a forum according to their interests. I have always been interested in online business and making money online, so that's where you'll find a lot of my old stuff.

But I'll not name the book on this public thread - or even say if my most successful book was published using my own name. I'd rather not have Google's zealous spiders pick up on that and send this thread to the top of the SERPs for the keywords.

BTW, I had a look at your site and noticed you do SEO optimisation. It would be great if you'd share with us how you do that. SEO is something that changes so fast a lot of us are struggling with it these days. Some of us have given up on almost all of it except for on-page SEO. What's your take on that?

I think your business is quite new. Is there anything you'd like some help with?

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    BTW, I had a look at your site and noticed you do SEO optimisation.
    @Scott - that is not a tautological statement. Kay has correctly used the E-P terminology - around here, off page SEO stands for Search Engine Optimism ...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (26 June 2014), Kay (25 June 2014)

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Optimism indeed!

I don't actually offer any SEO services, but there is a big crossover in terms of the content that I create, such as it being original and engaging, not stuffed with keywords etc. I do have a reasonable amount of experience of SEO and I've worked alongside a number of agencies (I blog for several) but it's all very white hat stuff, content marketing, building good quality links etc. I've never had much to do with the black hat side of things, although maybe I should learn!

Yes my busines is very new, but I've worked freelance for a number of years and I've been involved in marketing and domaining for a few years as well. It's all about building a variety of consistent revenue streams for me at the moment. My content writing business is going really well, but I'm looking at some other income streams as well, such as ebooks, website flipping and dropshipping, as well as domaining which I've already had a lot of experience of.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'm a great believer in knowing a subject from all sides if you want to do it well. You gotta know what the 'bad guys' are doing. Anyway, this white hat vs black hat is a bit of a red herring. Who defines it? Google? And they give us Matt Cutts to guide us. LOL. The general consensus these days seems to be that it's worth doing on-page SEO and anything beyond that is optimism.

Given the rise of importance of other ways to get traffic, the old-style SEO seems to matter less. Amazon, for example, has overtaken Google as the consumers' search engine of choice. It's harder all the time for the small guys to compete. We're being pushed out. The only answer to that which I can see is to reduce dependence on G and concentrate on getting traffic in other ways. Funnily enough, if you do that G generally looks kindly on you anyway. It seems you get more reward for doing less.

I'm curious about your interest in domaining. I dabble a bit in that but I've had very little success - one big sale. It was big to me but probably very small stuff for serious domainers. Did you buy any of the new gTLDs which were released recently? I considered it but didn't buy any.

Trial Member
    Thanks
    I've not touched any of the new domains. It's all .co.uk, .uk, .com and the odd .org and .net for me. The vast majority of the others will fall by the wayside I think.