+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Website in a box= UGH!!

Trial Member
    Thanks

Website in a box= UGH!!

I bought a ready made amazon website. The guy I bought it from gave me the admin login and password and transferred it to my godaddy account. Now after selling just one item, to you know who, hes banned from flippa for some reason and now I cant contact him. Its a nice little site that updates everything automatically but the problem Im having is theres a couple categories I would like to add. I can add a category and node and it shows up on the website. The problem im having is adding the actual product for the category. It ask for the asin# than the category and a check box if I want to publish it. The problem is when I put the asin number in a gray box appears with a searching symbol but nothing happens. Wondering if Im putting it in wrong or what. Ive tried all kinds of different ways. the asin# Im trying to make work is [[ASIN removed - it's not necessary for the thread and will only encourage people to go and look at that product. The ASIN works OK. Admin.]] is there anything else I need to put with it? Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by Kay; 4 July 2014 at 4:50 am. Reason: Removed product ASIN

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Seeing theres been 23 views to my post and nobody has chimed in with any advice. Guess you have to be a premium member to get any advice. If theres any body here that has experience in websites that can guide me in the right direction I don't mind paying.

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Kasey, if you're suggesting that you need to be a Premium Member to get help on here, that's not the case at all. You can ask as many questions as you like on the public forums. Whether or not you get an answer depends on a few factors.

Perhaps people have looked with the intention of helping you, but they don't know the answer themselves so they didn't reply. (I don't know the answer. If I did I would have replied.)

It's the weekend and the forums are generally quieter. People have busy lives outside the forum. (I was here, but yesterday I was working flat out to complete a book I've been writing.)

The fact that you bought a "business-in-a-box" didn't help you to get answers, as many of the members here wouldn't consider making such a purchase for various reasons. (I personally wouldn't buy one of these.)

Sadly, this forum has a lot of lurkers and the type of people who read everything to suck up all they can get and leave without saying anything. Some of that is useless traffic from search engines, or people looking for an opportunity to tout for business, or just selfish people who like to take and never give. Since you mentioned Premium Members, I suppose it would be true to say that most of us would go the extra mile to help anyone whom we thought of as being part of the community rather than just a casual drive-by visitor.

In any case, the number of views a post gets doesn't equate to the number of people. It's about how many views the posts in the thread have had. (I've had threads which have been viewed hundreds of times but never replied to.) Unlike many other forums, we don't allow fluff postings on here, so you don't get the usual "I agree", "Good luck, mate", and other noise that drowns out the message.

And finally, now you've mentioned that you're willing to pay for help you can probably expect to receive private messages from people who offer their 'help'. If or when you receive these, you should look at the person's reputation and post count before you engage with them. They might be the type who come to take and never give unless they see some profit for themselves. Caveat emptor.

PS: Going back to your original post, you bought a ready-made site from a guy who later got banned from Flippa - I hope you've checked the code for anything dodgy, eg there might be code in there to syphon off your affiliate commissions. I'm not sure why you can't contact him - did you never have any email communication with him at the time of sale and transfer of the site? Did you not find out who he was before you bought a site from him?
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (7 July 2014), kdock (6 July 2014)

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 709 Posts
    With an individual direct link to an ASIN, the format is as follows:
    www dot amazon.com/gp/product/ then the ASIN number followed by a question mark and tag=AssociateID-20 (20 is US)
    A link to a category is a more complex URL and it's best if you use your Amazon Associates account to get these links.

The easiest way to get links is to log into your Amazon Associates account. The tabbed links across the top will provide information on how to use the program. If you have not already done so, I'd suggest you read their online help section and web services guide. The more complete guide is AWS Documentation, which is (almost) guaranteed to overwhelm advanced webmasters

When you log into your Amazon affiliate account, you will see tabs across the top that each cover a different type of Amazon product link. For example, the first tab titled Links & Banners shows you how to add specific products (Links) & categories (Banners). To get your affiliate URL for a link, go to the Links & Banners tab and click on Add Product Links now (in the first section titled Product Links). They will then give you links (which already include your seller ID) for their best sellers, with a search box to find products. If you type in a keyword, Amazon will give you a complete list of products with pictures, prices and links (that include your ID). You can either right-click the URL and select Copy Link Location or click on the yellow button to the right of each product that says Get Link. (The Get Link button allows you to specify preferred link format such as Text Only, Text and Image, Image Only or Add to Widget.)

The Banner Links provide code for all primary categories. These category links are available in iFrame or JavaScript and come in 9 banner sizes. The links are ad system links served directly by Amazon. I don't know what country you are in, but the available links to primary categories change by country and will be specific for your location. You need not concern yourself with category Browse Node IDs (unless you are using software which requires it), as your Amazon account will adjust the links for you. (I am aware of 6 different associate programs, .CA, .DE, .FR, .co.JP, .co.UK and .com (US); You must be a member for each country program in which you wish to earn referral fees from sales.)

P.S. I was in the middle of writing this and had not seen Kay's response before posting. @kdock, this may be a bit more complex subject than you realize, as there are many variations to ASIN entry due to site configuration, CMS used, or if you are using Amazon plugins for a specific CMS to assist with code entry. Your question was lacking context for the question, and most people won't post trying to extract further information from you. The type of site makes a difference to entry, HTML, CSS frameworks, Wordpress CMS, Joomla, Drupal, etc. and each has (slight) variations that can be adapted from the Amazon supplied code depending upon where and how you want links displayed. If you're using software to enter links, which seems likely due to the way your query is phrased, then there are parameters beyond the ASIN number and associate's code used to give the software access to the Amazon API. I have plugins and stores that require a license key from the software provider, Amazon Web Services Access Key ID, and Amazon Secret Key ID, in addition to the Browse Node entries and Associates ID.

P.P.S. If you were sold a CMS, then there may be contact information for the seller in the site database.
    Last edited by KenW3; 5 July 2014 at 11:17 pm.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KenW3 For This Useful Post:

Clinton (6 July 2014), crabfoot (6 July 2014), Kay (5 July 2014), kdock (6 July 2014)

Trial Member
    Thanks
    To Mrs. Kay, thank you for the help and I belive you may be right as far as the code being a bit dodgy. All of it stinks to high heavens. I plan on becoming a member when I get paid Thursday, I belive you get out what you put in and to have a chance to learn anything from people who actually know what theyre talking about to me at this point would be priceless. I guess the old adage is true " i wish i would have found this forum first"

Ken all I can say is thank you very much. This is the best help Ive found so far and thank you for your time. This is more complex than I could have imagined. I have all of my amazon accounts set up and will definitely do as you've said and see where that goes. I have my Access Key ID, and Amazon Secret Key ID entered into the website and Ive added Google Analytics. All I was given was the admin password and login to the site itself, when I log in everything looks very simple and theres really nowhere to add any type of code, being new to this I don't know which one it would be HTML, CSS frameworks, Wordpress CMS, Joomla, Drupal, etc. As Mrs Kay mentioned I belive there could be more going on as far as something being dodgy. Im hoping someone on here with a high reputation will offer to help and I wouldn't mind paying for their time, at least to guide me in the right direction and let me know exactly what I have. Again thanks to both of you for your time.
    Last edited by Clinton; 6 July 2014 at 1:44 pm. Reason: To merge posts

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kdock For This Useful Post:

KenW3 (7 July 2014)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    I plan on becoming a member...
    You are already a member. You don't have to subscribe to the premium areas - the public forums are free, as they've always been. Keep going on this thread and let's see if we can help you with the problem. What exactly did you buy? Why do you think it stinks? Why do you think the code is dodgy?
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Well Mrs Kay I bought an Amazon affiliate website. Here was the listing https://flippa.com/auctions/3105517/discussions/813252 The reason I think it stinks is because after selling just this one website it says banned next to his name, they don't give a reason why he was banned. The name on the web site says Tom T but the email I received from him says Leonid Volinsky/Web entrepreneur than it lists his phone#. Ive sent him 2 emails with no reply but Im giving him the benefit of the doubt hoping hes just busy. So after this it just leads me to believe something may be wrong. I would rather have someone look at the site I bought and go through it to make sure what he sold me is on the up and up.

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    "Access denied" when I try to see that listing. Since he only sold you the one site and got banned, the likely reason is that he was banned already and was trying to operate a new account, but the Flippa team picked up on his bank details when they went to collect the fees.

That doesn't mean you bought a bad site - if he was trying to rebuild a reputation, he would start by selling sites that worked.
    OTOH it does suggest that he has a lot less reason to be helpful if Flippa banned him. He's got your money and any recommendation benefit you could give him is nullified by the ban.

As an aside, you are probably getting up Kay's nose bigtime by addressing her as "Mrs Kay". I suggest using her proper title, which is "Queen of Lady Dogs".

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (7 July 2014), kharrison (6 July 2014)

Thanks
    Do you know anyone you trust, who can tell you what you have (html, wordpress, etc.)?

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kdock
    Im hoping someone on here with a high reputation will offer to help and I wouldn't mind paying for their time
    If you have questions, post them here on EP. To be honest, the cost for you to hire people to teach you wouldn't be worth the cost when first starting out. Everything you need to learn is available online for free. Heed Kay's warning in post 3 above about paying people for knowledge. You are not ready to hire expertise until you learn what questions you need answered. There is a wealth of video knowledge on YouTube for free - just go there or search Google when you need in-depth information.

Quote Originally Posted by crabfoot View Post
    "Access denied" when I try to see that listing. Since he only sold you the one site and got banned, the likely reason is that he was banned already
    The seller had two listings under this user ID. As @kdock posted a link, I hope this information is okay. The URL format for Flippa listing numbers has the number of the auction following a front-slash after their SLD.TLD, making this listing link Flippa.com/3105517

From what I can see of (what appears to be) this specific seller's activity, he has placed six listings on Flippa under five different user IDs. He had two listings under the user ID used for the sale in this thread, the one purchased by @kdock and CreditControlExpert.com. All six listings were Amazon stores. The other four were BuyBodybuilding.com, WineStoreOutlet.com, StopSmokingTipsNow.com and TheNativeWinery.com. Flippa has definitely been stopping this seller, as all of these user names are banned.
    Last edited by KenW3; 6 July 2014 at 10:08 pm.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KenW3 For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (7 July 2014), Clinton (7 July 2014), David S (6 July 2014), Kay (7 July 2014), kdock (7 July 2014)

+ Reply to Thread