+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best way to enter the marketplace

Dormant Account
    Thanks

Best way to enter the marketplace

Similar to Slim Picky, I too am fairly new to the game. Over the past couple years, I've casually tried a couple things (blog, content site), more for my own experience than anything. I'd like to start getting more serious and I'm formulating some ideas to re-enter the market.

I've done some homework on researching various methods while trying to filter out the crap from all the so-called "experts". Using affiliate-based content sites seems like the most stable business model generating repeating revenues month after month. Am I wrong?

My budget is rather small (< $200)for starting out so, as a starting point, I thought it best to try site flipping in order to raise some capital quickly. I'm a .Net programmer by trade so I don't have any problem getting my hands dirty with site design. I'm OK at creating content as long as I have decent material to work with. And I'm learning SEO bit by bit.

One stumbling block is Niche selection. More to it, finding one that hasn't been done to death. The other stumbling block is finding a site that has the potential for growth. I'm sure finding something on Flippa within my price range with this criteria is next to impossible. I've been lurking in the forum for some time, and I know I either need to look in the SEs or DMOZ for older sites. Perhaps others can weigh in here on some suggestions.

Given my budget, what's a realistic timeframe to turn this around and start generating +$1000/month? Obviously this is a part time gig right now, so hours/week committment needs to be considered.

BTW, whatever happened to Slim? I was disappointed that he never updated his status on the post.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Using affiliate-based content sites seems like the most stable business model generating repeating revenues month after month. Am I wrong?
    I would have thought having a diverse range of revenue streams would be the best bet.

I thought it best to try site flipping in order to raise some capital quickly.
    Working in a regular job might earn you some money more quickly than flipping websites. It certainly has less risk.

Given my budget, what's a realistic timeframe to turn this around and start generating +$1000/month?
    That's an impossible question, it depends on your skill level and what you buy with your money. A budget of < $200 is like a budget of $0 (cost of time aside). $200 won't buy you much, I wouldn't have thought, unless you buy something like an expired domain that has hidden value like existing links and a bit of previous. Or strike it lucky and buy a gem that's been undervalued.

As for timeframe, that's a difficult question. Generating > $1,000/month with only $200 and little experience is a tall order if your timescale is 6 months.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooperman View Post
    I would have thought having a diverse range of revenue streams would be the best bet.
    I would agree, but I was meaning this as more of a starting point.

Working in a regular job might earn you some money more quickly than flipping websites. It certainly has less risk.
    I would agree to this too, but my goal right now is to supplement my existing income.

That's an impossible question, it depends on your skill level and what you buy with your money. A budget of < $200 is like a budget of $0 (cost of time aside). $200 won't buy you much, I wouldn't have thought, unless you buy something like an expired domain that has hidden value like existing links and a bit of previous. Or strike it lucky and buy a gem that's been undervalued.

As for timeframe, that's a difficult question. Generating > $1,000/month with only $200 and little experience is a tall order if your timescale is 6 months.
    I'm open to ideas here. What would you suggest as decent starting point for someone starting out (flipping, MFA, etc.)? I could really use some mentoring here...

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    What would you suggest as decent starting point for someone starting out (flipping, MFA, etc.)?
    A popular route is to create a content site, get traffic up, and monetise it with Adsense/affiliate offers.

+ Reply to Thread