+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gargyl Is A Liberal

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts

Gargyl Is A Liberal

It has been said in a lot of places that Gargyl is not serving search results for what the US calls "conservative topics".

Here's a nice example - any one noticed others?

Top Contributor
    France. Between Limoges and Brive la Gaillarde.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Ain't politics fun? Costco listed the book before it reached the NYT bestseller list, then pulled it after it made the list, although they claim it was a sales decision based on the NYT list....

Marketing Mentor Mikl is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    What a load of nonsense some people put out. Here's a blogger (whom I've never heard of; have you?) who does an arbitrary search, doesn't get the result she was expecting, and so imputes all kinds of sinister motives to the search engine. Maybe if she logged out of Google+, or used a different computer with a different search history,she would get a completely different result. Who knows? Hard to care.

Sorry, Crabfoot, I know you didn't mean us to take this seriously. But, judging by some of the comments to her blog post, some people evidently do.

Mike

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikl For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (10 July 2014), crabfoot (10 July 2014)

Top Contributor
    France. Between Limoges and Brive la Gaillarde.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I have a few US friends on FB who post political stuff they have come across - the US seems to have as many conspiracy theorists as it has religious nutters. I did once point out to someone who tried to convince me that he was a victim of a conspiracy that people only conspire against people that matter, not nonenties. He wasn't a friend before, and now...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chabrenas For This Useful Post:

Mikl (10 July 2014)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikl View Post
    Sorry, Crabfoot, I know you didn't mean us to take this seriously. But, judging by some of the comments to her blog post, some people evidently do.
    Actually, I think it is happening - the Gargyl crew are taking a blairish attitude and imposing their views on the nation, particularly regarding things like guns and hunting.

But while the example given is comically simplistic and silly, if you read the comments you will find that people are noticing that Google have reacted, and the film times now show up on page 1.

The salient truth is that if you complain, publicly and with justification, about Google search, you may find that the results you get change within 24 hours. Only seems to depend on whether they think you have a point.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (10 July 2014)

Marketing Mentor Mikl is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crabfoot View Post
    The salient truth is that if you complain, publicly and with justification, about Google search, you may find that the results you get change within 24 hours. Only seems to depend on whether they think you have a point.
    I don't have any inside knowledge of how Google works. But if what you suggest was true, Google would have to employ an army of people to monitor the vast amount of stuff that is being said about them all the time all over the world, and that those people would be empowered to decide if a complaint was "with justification" and to decide what to do about it. I suppose that's possible, but it doesn't seem plausible. And why would they bother?

Mike

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Google have certain moral values which they apply to how they run their business. These concern matters such as drinking alcohol (beer is bad), gambling (a big no-no), and nudity being considered to be sex (this is not good news for artists).

It's not for us to tell them how to run their business. And they don't tell us how to run ours. If you want to do business with Google, then you play by their rules. If you don't care about doing business with Google, then you can play by your own rules.

In some ways it's like when you run a website and people complain that it's not all set up to suit them. I've encountered this with various content sites and forums. My attitude is that if you don't like the way I run my business, then please go somewhere else because I'll not change everything just to suit a newbie who showed up to complain. Google, similarly, has the right to tell you to bog off. If you don't like their rules then don't play their game. If you don't like their rules then bleating about them won't help. There are alternative search engines. There are plenty of alternatives to AdSense (although I've still not got any of these to match AS performance). You can play and win, but you have to play by their rules because it's their game.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikl View Post
    I don't have any inside knowledge of how Google works. But if what you suggest was true, Google would have to employ an army of people to monitor the vast amount of stuff that is being said about them all the time all over the world, and that those people would be empowered to decide if a complaint was "with justification" and to decide what to do about it. I suppose that's possible, but it doesn't seem plausible. And why would they bother?
    Mike
    I used to have a party trick - I would reply to a question on Yahoo answers, copy out a line, put it in double quotes and search for it on Google immediately after posting the answer. Less than fifteen seconds after posting, the search would find my answer, and the same trick used to work with Yahboo and Bong.

That trick worked consistently up until about two hours after I wrote a posting about it last year. Now all three are slower to percolate their spiderings into the search results - but it shows how heavily they crawl the WWW, and it also shows that they don't like it being mentioned in public.

And the phrase "with justification" is only meant to suggest that they might agree with you, if they ever admitted in public what they get up to (which according to Eric Schmidt, stops "just this side of nasty").

12. The Following User Says Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (11 July 2014)

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Yes,

You posted a random blurb about Google, the team of crack employees at Google who do nothing all day but look at comments about Google found it, read it, realized that you were onto them (OMG, someone knows we spider stuff quickly and they mentioned it in public), put together a proposal to change how this worked, got it onto the desks of some high up muckety mucks right away, they approved the changes, tasked their development teams with making the changes, the development team created a new branch of the Google code, made the changes, got the QA group to do an emergency test of the code changes, they luckily reported no bugs so the production team deployed the changes to all of Google's servers.

All within two hours of you making a post.

/facepalm

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Something tells me you don't believe me.

It happened. That party trick was working for a couple of years before I mentioned it in public, then it stopped working very soon after.

I could mention another instance where I was doing some research on search relevance over two days, and simultaneously writing a blog post about it. Peculiar things that happened in the Google results on the first day were not reproduced on the second day.

Google have a lot of employees - maybe it went just like you said.

I'm just reporting the facts. You're the one indulging in conjecture, Joel.

+ Reply to Thread