+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turnkey affilate query

Trial Member
    Thanks

Turnkey affilate query

Ok, I know I shouldn't go for a affiliate commission turnkey site but am sorely tempted as I've ended up in "analysis paralysis" & now just want to get started. The plan is to use this to learn before starting from there I can build what I really want.

I've read the DD report (v.helpful) so know some of the pitfalls i.e. I'm still going to have to do hard work myself, their content is generic (that's fine as plan to rework content as that's my USP), they can overhype potential sales (again I need to make it work don't believe them...). So all "good" on that front...

What I'm nervous about is how much control of the products I will have. I have been told that I will be able to control what is on the site but I'm still waiting for details on whether or not I can get any exclusive deals/discounts etc so help attract customers. So I suppose my questions are:

1) Has anyone had experience of working with suppliers where you were the affiliate & if so how flexible where thet at meeting your requirements?
    2) What sorts of problens did you have when asking for specific requirements & how did you overcome them?
    3) How easy is it to get of an affiliate deal, for example I find a better supplier? I know this one is probably "It depends what I agreed" answer but thought I'd ask in there are any useful bits of advice.

Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere, did have a look but couldn't find that fitted the bill. Thanks Laura

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Laura, you've not read The Buyer's Quest, have you? Naughty! It's waiting for you in the Premium Lounge.

I don't know enough about what exactly it is you're trying to do or what site you want to buy. However, I do quite a bit of affiliate marketing on my various websites so maybe I can help. Don't say in public where any drive-by person can pick up on your ideas - you'd be better telling us in the Premium Lounge.

It sounds as though you need more help on the affiliate marketing side. Would you like the EP team to write a report about that? We have a wish list for topics we want to cover.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

lauravw (14 July 2014)

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravw View Post
    Ok, I know I shouldn't go for a affiliate commission turnkey site but am sorely tempted as I've ended up in "analysis paralysis" & now just want to get started. The plan is to use this to learn before starting from there I can build what I really want.
    This is an excellent idea, just don't overpay for one. Fifty or less is a reasonable number depending on what's included. I did this myself starting out, to learn how specific sites were put together

Quote Originally Posted by lauravw
    What I'm nervous about is how much control of the products I will have. I have been told that I will be able to control what is on the site but I'm still waiting for details on whether or not I can get any exclusive deals/discounts etc so help attract customers.
    You have control over what products and services you intend to promote, but not over pricing, shipping times, availability. As an affiliate, the affiliate program manager sets the terms and conditions, and it is you that must abide by them. They're the same for everyone. Once you're set up and running with a proven track record, you may receive greater commissions and special services from some program providers.

So I suppose my questions are:

1) Has anyone had experience of working with suppliers where you were the affiliate & if so how flexible where thet at meeting your requirements?
    2) What sorts of problens did you have when asking for specific requirements & how did you overcome them?
    3) How easy is it to get of an affiliate deal, for example I find a better supplier? I know this one is probably "It depends what I agreed" answer but thought I'd ask in there are any useful bits of advice.
    1. Suppliers set the rules that you will agree to when applying for their affiliate programs. Affiliate program managers do not meet your requirements, you meet theirs.
    2. You would need to define what you would be asking for and what you wish to receive. Good affiliate programs typically do not have 'problems' that need to be 'overcome'.
    3. There are affiliate programs with similar or same products that compete with each other. Some offer better deals or greater assistance. I have had merchants supply me with banners, private support, programming, detailed instruction on how to overcome sales resistance, even free hosting and original articles about their products.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay
    It sounds as though you need more help on the affiliate marketing side. Would you like the EP team to write a report about that? We have a wish list for topics we want to cover.
    Kay, I can save you some time writing a report as there are quite a number of good books on this subject available through Amazon. A difficulty, however, is the quantity of material on this subject. This subject and others in the MMO niche have increased to such a degree, with the Kindle products, that determining which is worthwhile and what is fluff has become quite difficult.

For absolute beginners only, I would recommend the classic from John Wiley & Sons (anything from Wiley can be considered a quality business book) titled Affiliate Selling by Greg Helmstetter and Pamela Metivier. It's an old book, but has the very basic information that will provide understanding for the structure. Evgenii Prussakov has more current information on affiliate marketing. I enjoyed A Practical Guide To Affiliate Marketing, and his book on Affiliate Program Management will teach you what to expect from a program provider.
    Last edited by KenW3; 13 July 2014 at 10:28 pm.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KenW3 For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (14 July 2014), Clinton (14 July 2014), David S (13 July 2014), kharrison (17 July 2014), lauravw (14 July 2014), tke71709 (14 July 2014)

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    There are two components to the value of an affiliate turnkey. Part of the price that people are bidding goes towards the work the seller has put in to create the site, but a large part of the price they're bidding is based on their belief in the seller's numbers and profit projections (somewhat discounted depending on each bidder's level of trust in those numbers).

You're ahead of the game in that you're placing zero value on the predictions and hype and are willing to pay only for the work done. In a bidding environment when you're bidding against people who are being influenced, to varying degrees, by the seller's figures I suspect you'll find it difficult to win anything at Ken's suggested price of $50. So you might want to avoid auction environments for this type of site.

With merchants you need to remember one thing: You're a junior partner. A very junior partner. They call all the shots. With very little notice they'll change products, change terms, change commission rates, demand you change all banners on your site etc. It's only when you are generating a significant level of sales for them that they'll take any real notice of you, your opinions, your suggestions, your requests and/or give you special deals, preferential terms and so on. The good news is that it's usually not too difficult to change merchants if you are able to find another one offering the products you want at the prices and commission you're happy with.

In my estimate well over 95% of such affiliate sites fail. That you've done a fair amount of research on this already gives you a bit of an edge so I wish you all the best with your new business.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (14 July 2014), dymockpoet (14 July 2014), KenW3 (14 July 2014), lauravw (14 July 2014)

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Kay -
    Laura, you've not read The Buyer's Quest, have you? Naughty! It's waiting for you in the Premium Lounge.
    Ok I admit it I missed that one, and could you possibly send me the link? I have searched the Premium Lounge today but I have failed in my quest to find it. I used to be great at searching but not today.

KenW3 - Thanks for the info, you have really helped clarify affiliate selling for me. The guys I am looking to work with do seem to be offering up front support to help me get started, but I know this comes at a premium. So far though I have been impressed at their speed and ability to answer my questions, but I do worry I am just getting sucked in because I am a newbie.

Clinton - You were spot on the website is not 50, I wish it was... You have raised some interesting questions which I plan to take back to them. I had already asked if I had control over the content which they said I did but your comments have made me wonder if they could "gazump" me at any time, which would be good as the content is "hopefully" going to be the key differentiator. Curious if you have any stats around the 95% of affiliate sites fail? That number is a bit of a wake up call, but a good one, and just want to go into this (if I do) with as much background as possible to make it a success i.e. so I become the 5%. Can you spot the newbie optimism? LOL

If this is a success then I would be looking to move away from affiliate to wholesale but at the moment this seems like an "easy" way to get up and running to find out if my content strategy would work. Once I am confident in that space then I can work on the bigger returns, well that is the theory.

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravw View Post
    Clinton... Curious if you have any stats around the 95% of affiliate sites fail?
    I have tons and tons of stats on all kinds of things but it's not very organised and I would need to do some work on the data to dig out any supporting "evidence"". But it's easy enough to check for yourself. Take a sample of affiliate sites that sold 12+ months ago (or 24+ months ago) and see how many are still actively being updated and looked after.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Clinton - thanks for the suggestion, will give that a go.

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 709 Posts
    The guys I am looking to work with do seem to be offering up front support to help me get started, but I know this comes at a premium. So far though I have been impressed at their speed and ability to answer my questions, but I do worry I am just getting sucked in because I am a newbie.
    How much of a premium? As long as the premium isn't one of those thousand dollar n00b sucker punches in the gut that sours every victim on their business plan... That happens too often. If you've found a guru or two with claims they can take you by the hand and lead you to everlasting success... If somebody is talking in terms of how much money you will make... If they can show you how you can live the rich life of leisure working 10 hours a week... Run. Change your email address. Get a new phone number. Get away fast as you can.

A WordPress PLR Amazon Affiliate turnkey site costs about $25+/-, which can be dropped on a HostGator 7.95 a month hosting platform, using a domain name for $10. Get the person that sells you the PLR affiliate site to install for you for free, then start learning how it works so you can customize. That's everything needed to see what a simple CMS-based website looks like to start.

Curious if you have any stats around the 95% of affiliate sites fail? That number is a bit of a wake up call, but a good one, and just want to go into this (if I do) with as much background as possible to make it a success i.e. so I become the 5%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton
    In my estimate well over 95% of such affiliate sites fail.
    Adding the qualifier "only" to affiliate promotion sites, then no stats are needed to see the failure rate is greater than 95%. Laura, I'd say Clinton was being generous. Only someone who doesn't know what they are doing will claim to be able to teach you how to succeed with 'affiliate-only' sites. Most affiliate sites sold have lists of products for sale, look like a store, but are Not A Store. Those that succeed are more than just an affiliate site.

The 5% in those exceptions are sites that teach and provide links to support products, and those with real products in a real store that adds affiliate links for complementary products that are not stocked. Review sites used to do well, but consumers learned to distrust and very few niches work any more.

You have raised some interesting questions which I plan to take back to them.
    Who is this 'them'? What are they offering and what is the cost? What is their business name and website?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KenW3 For This Useful Post:

Clinton (15 July 2014), lauravw (15 July 2014)

Trial Member
    Thanks
    KenW3 - No they have promised untold riches or everlasting success, they have made it very clear that once bought that is whenn the hard work begins. I will though look at the Amazon options, so thanks for the suggestion.

I did LOL when I read
    I'd say Clinton was being generous
    . Maybe then I will be the 1%. nothing like taking the "easy" option.

I haven't absolutely decided if I am going to go down this route yet and the more research I do the less likely it is that I will but for the moment I will keep on digging & learning. Thanks

14. The Following User Says Thank You to lauravw For This Useful Post:

KenW3 (15 July 2014)

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    The thin (low content, mostly ads) affiliate site has an appeal to the constructor - low authoring skills needed to turn one out. But Gargyl doesn't like that, although I would argue that Gargyl is more enamoured of pictures than good advice. So Gargyl will de-index any thin affiliate site that it previously indexed, and refuse to index a new thin aff site.

When it was possible to get Gargyl traffic to a thin aff site, many people made a good living from thin aff sites. Nowadays traffic has to be driven from other sources, and the traffic that YahBong supplies is not enough to make a serious income from a site (ie. the old way of getting traffic has to be supplemented, or the Merchants will not be happy with your efforts to put business their way).

There is a new impetus being pushed forward towards getting people to use thin aff sites to make money. The model can still be shown to work, if enough effort is put into driving traffic.

But, to my mind, the most obvious fact is that those people who already have the skills to make money from such sites are finding it more lucrative to offer coaching in how to drive traffic, rather than doing it themselves.

And - the other thing that most of these coaches are selling is membership of a paid forum, where they answer your questions and give coaching sessions / webinars.

I paid $37 for a course on the subject a while back (I'm nosy). There is a lot of info in that course, and most of it is good - but it takes a long time to work through it. I would guess that an average person would be just about able to absorb enough of it in a couple of months to think about getting started on building a site.

Meanwhile, if I'd taken up their offer of $4.95 for the first month of messing about in their forum, then paid for the next two months at $97 a month, I would have been roughly $200 down and still thinking about building, distracted by a lot of the extras I'd be able to download, and reading the forum instead of getting down to the learning process.

The web is reversing the old maxim that "those that can, do, those that can't, teach". But those that teach cannot seem to resist the old philosphy of the online marketer - overwhelm the student with information, then offer to simplify the path forward, and you can make even more money on the up-selling.
    Last edited by crabfoot; 15 July 2014 at 8:27 am.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Clinton (15 July 2014), Kay (15 July 2014), KenW3 (15 July 2014), lauravw (12 August 2014)

+ Reply to Thread