+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Macro$hit people lose jobs

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts

Macro$hit people lose jobs

So Macro$hit are making 18,000 people redundant - mostly Nokia Phone people. Does this mean their markets are being eroded, or that the New Ideas department was the last thing they threw out?

Discuss ...
    Last edited by crabfoot; 17 July 2014 at 8:13 am.

Thanks
    I'm glad you asked about this as I also came across this story this morning. At first glance I thought another mass layoff just to make earnings but as I read more it didn't seem to be the case. Micro looks to be reorganizing it's recent Nokia acquisition for efficiency purposes and to also fit their business model. Here is a letter from Micro CEO Nadella to his employees.

The way I see it is Nokia's business model was failing anyway so why not change it up, will Micro be able to do it???? Who knows...

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Nokia's business model? Nokia sold the phone company and went back to making rubber boots and mats - it's the new people in charge who couldn't make it work. I can understand that Macro$hit wouldn't want to keep them on the books.

Macro$hit have one big reason for buying the mobile phone biz - to get more mobile Windows devices on to the market. You wouldn't mind, but all the competing mobile devices are running various flavours of Linux - and winning, because the app developers understand Linux.

But why buy the company and make them all redundant? You could understand that if Macro$hit already had a phone company and were looking to expand. Unless it turns out that Macro$hit were the second purchaser to find they'd bought a lemon ...

Top Contributor
    France. Between Limoges and Brive la Gaillarde.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    We will offer severance to all employees impacted by these changes, as well as job transition help in many locations, and everyone can expect to be treated with the respect they deserve for their contributions to this company.
    Pretty ruthless doublespeak.

- I presume 'severance' means 'severance pay'
    - job transition help only in 'many locations'? Something tells me this doesn't mean 'where they need it most'.
    - 'respect they deserve for their contributions to this company'. So no respect for new arrivals from Nokia?

That severance package had better be generous, or we'll be seeing a lot of negative publicity, and possibly a few lawsuits, I reckon.

I can understand the urgent need to reshape the company, but they risk having quite a few good guys jumping ship. Perhaps there is a less transparent side, in which key employees are quietly being offered incentives to stay.

+ Reply to Thread