+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: British TV - bleugh

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    Kay, you've arrived in the UK just in time to miss a great BBC doc called "The Men Who Made Us Spend". Look out for the repeats (or catchup). It investigates consumerism and the tactics used by marketers to get us to part with money. Very seedy stuff. That series was "compulsory viewing" for my children as part of their home education. They loved it, especially little facts like how stores have carpets in aisles with the most expensive products (It's to slow down your trolley). Watching such programmes arms children, albeit in a small way, against the sophisticated psychological tricks used by marketers to take advantage of them. And watching these does us adults no harm either! I've learned a few things myself.

The last episode looked at the marketing strategies used to sell to children and how these are now being adapted for use on adults. Of course we didn't watch any of these episodes live or we'd have to sit through (BBC) ads.

What they don't cover in the programme is how the state education system is geared towards grooming children into being good consumers. Maybe I'll do a programme on that myself sometime
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

Kay (29 July 2014)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Excellent! Thanks. It was on last night so if we get the Internet connection tomorrow, as planned, we'll be able to watch it on the catch up thing. This is all new and exciting to me.

I'm looking forward to this one.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

+ Reply to Thread