+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is anyone here using the Kindle for Windows 8 app?

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

Is anyone here using the Kindle for Windows 8 app?

I liked the old system (Windows 7 app) where I could sort my library into various collections, eg art, business, etc.

This new app doesn't seem to offer this - or does it? I don't like it at all. I sought help on the Amazon site but all it told me is that I can sort by recent purchases, author, title. Golly, gee, wow, like that's of any use compared to the old system.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...deId=201246070

I really hope someone is going to post to tell me I'm wrong and the new system is actually better if only I wasn't too stupid to use it properly. Help!
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

Mikl (2 August 2014)

Marketing Mentor Mikl is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Kay, you are so right. In fact, you have barely touched on the problems with this useless app.

After I first got the Windows 8 app, I wrote a small blog post, listing some of the many things wrong with it (see http://hexcentral.blogspot.co.uk/201...pc-app-in.html). I obviously struck a chord, because the post became - and still is - the most visited page on that particular blog. And judging by the comments, a lot of people agreed with my complaints.

As I mentioned in the post, the solution is to install the Windows 7 version of the app, which works fine under Windows 8 - assuming, of course, that you have the "full" version of Windows 8: the one with the desktop interface.

By the way, on the point about not being able to place the books into collections, I believe that the same applies to the Android version of the app (I can't check that just now, because my Android gizmo is on the blink). But it's certainly not a problem with the Windows 7 version.

Mike

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikl For This Useful Post:

Kay (2 August 2014)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Great! That seems to have worked although I need to do a bit of sorting out. (There's some kind of mix up where some of my old .com library has been imported to the new .co.uk library. We took the hard drive out of my old desktop machine... it's complicated, but I think I can wrestle it into submission.) The library was due for a spring clean anyway. I'm just delighted to have the ability to create and use collections again instead of a mass of thousands of unsorted books. By the way, I repped you for that bit of help. It's improved the quality of my life!

What was Amazon thinking of with the Windows 8 app? Imagine any kind of library where the books are thrown on the shelves at random. Insane! And very annoying.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Marketing Mentor Mikl is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Glad it was useful, Kay. It is clearly an issue that concerns a lot of people. Definitely a missed opportunity for Amazon.

I just remembered another reason I ditched the Windows 8 app. When you are reading a periodical, you don't have the ability to skip through the articles in the slick way that you do with a physical Kindle. (It works OK on the Android app.)

Mike

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That took me two days to sort out to my satisfaction, but I'm happy with it now. And I still have the larger .com library to sort out. Eew.

And another thing, I've only just realised that you can only read Prime books on Kindle devices and not using Kindle apps. I don't have a UK dedicated Kindle device so I guess I won't get the benefit of borrowing anything even though I'm signed up for Prime. I can't say I'll lose sleep over not being able to borrow only one cheap book a month. I'm sure as heck not going to buy a Kindle device just to do it.

Why can't Amazon just be nice sometimes? Yeah, I know. They're in business to make money. But is it really necessary to alienate people and make things difficult for them. I guess when you have such a dominant place in the market you can do what you like and get away with it.

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    The Win7 on my laptop has died, and I'm confined to using a win8 tablet which was bought for partial use as a kindle. Whenever I try to use the app, it says it needs updating, takes me to Macro$hit and refuses to download the update. Same happens if I try to download from Amazon.

I'm not reading Kindle books these days.

+ Reply to Thread