+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Google's new AdSense Direct service

Marketing Mentor Mikl is a Premium Member
    Thanks

Google's new AdSense Direct service

I hear that Google are testing a new service called AdSense Direct. In summary, it allows any advertiser (not necessarily an AdWords customer) to purchase advertising from any AdSense publisher. The advertiser would determine which publishers' sites they want to advertise on, and would then contact the publisher to negotiate the details. The actual serving of the ads, and the collection of payment, would be handled by Google through the existing AdWords mechanism, but Google would have no say in the rates that the advertiser would pay.

Google has started testing this service in the US and the Middle East, with a view to rolling it out globally if it proves successful.

I can imagine this being attractive for advertisers. It would give them complete control over where their ads appear. And it might be cheaper than working through an advertising agency (depending how big a cut Google takes). Very small firms and sole traders might find it particularly useful.

Does it sound like the sort of thing you would use to market your product or service?

I'm not sure what the benefit would be to publishers. Maybe it would involve more work than traditional AdSense, but less than if you were marketing your site yourself (and certainly less than doing the associated admin, payment collection, etc). Anyone got any thoughts?

Mike

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikl For This Useful Post:

Kay (3 August 2014)

Thanks
    As a publisher, I'm not sure it would benefit me to much unless I am able to contact advertisers also. I would think most advertisers reaching out to me would be competition. On the plus side, I might be able to negotiate higher advertising revenue.

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    As a publisher, I generally find it takes a lot of time to negotiate with individual advertisers. That's why I like to work with AdSense and affiliate networks. If there's no clear benefit to the publisher, I wonder if advertisers will find it difficult to find those who are interested in participating. I've not seen AdSense Direct yet. Is it being 'sold' as something to benefit advertisers without anything explicit to make publishers embrace it?
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Marketing Mentor Mikl is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobigalo View Post
    I would think most advertisers reaching out to me would be competition.
    Possibly. But wouldn't that also be the case with traditional AdSense? With this new system, you would at least be able to be selective in which ads you accept.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread