+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are Kindles old hat?

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

Are Kindles old hat?

I thought it might be interesting to do a straw poll.

1. Do you own a Kindle eReader? More than one?

2. Would you buy one now or choose something else instead, eg a tablet?

3. Any other comments?

I'll go first.

1. Yes, I had one shipped from the US (much cheaper than the UK!) a couple of years ago, and have used it constantly since then. I love it! I've been using it for my Amazon.com account.

2. I was going to buy another one recently (because you can only register a device to one Amazon account and I wanted a device for my .co.uk account as well). However, when I started browsing to buy one, I decided that a tablet would be much more useful to me. I'm interested in reading magazines as well as books and the tablet seemed to be a much better idea for that. (Also, I'm interested in creating a magazine too!).

3. Other comments. It seems to me that tablets are much more versatile than Kindles. Kindles are great for reading whilst travelling (or commuting) or reading in bed. Otherwise, why bother?

If Kindles are falling out of favour, this could have a significant impact on those of us who are Kindle publishers. It's generally accepted that it's a pain to format eBooks for Kindle. Maybe that will be no longer necessary and the demands of formatting will change.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Publishing Mentor dsieg58 is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 565 Posts
    1.) Yes.
    2.) No. I would rather read from a tablet.
    3.) I never liked reading from a Kindle. For one, it was too heavy in my hand, it never "felt" right. Two, a tablet is much more versatile.

Comments: I don't think Kindle eBooks will fall out of favor anytime soon. Since you can now transfer eBooks to any device as easily as downloading them to a Kindle reader. I still think Kindles (and tablets) as a device are in their infancy and expect them to become more and more useful as time goes on.

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    I also don't think the eBooks will fall out of favour. But if fewer people are reading them on Kindle devices, then maybe the formatting requirements will change. I guess that was just wishful thinking.

I've sometimes seen eBooks for sale with the note, "...available for the following..." and sometimes the only option is to read on a smart phone or in the cloud. Do you know how much say an author has about how their book should be read? For example, if you created a magazine, it might look great on a tablet but not on a Kindle eReader, so for the best user experience you could offer it for sale only with the appropriate apps rather than making it available to all.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Marketing Mentor Mikl is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    1. I've owned Kindles since 2009. I have three over the years, plus Kindle apps on numerous other devices.

2. A tablet with a Kindle reader app is clearly more versatile than a dedicated Kindle. However, I much prefer the e-ink display of the older Kindles, rather than the newer backlit displays. I've also got a slight preference for physical page-turning buttons rather than a touch screen. For those reasons, I'll stick to e-ink Kindles as my main reader for as long as they make them (which might not be much longer).

3. As a Kindle publisher, you don't have to worry about Kindles falling out of fashion. If Kindle sales are declining (and I'm not completely sure they are), it's because Kindle apps on tablets and phones are becoming more popular. I doubt if the Kindle e-book format will go out of fashion in the foreseeable future.

By the way, for those who say they prefer the touch and feel of a real book over a plastic-and-metal device, well .... I tend to agree. But it's not an either/or situation. I still buy and read real books much of the time. But I also appreciate the convenience of being able to take dozens of books on a trip, or start reading whatever book takes my fancy anywhere in the world.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread