+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Step-by-Step Plan to Build a $5000 per Month Passive Income Website Portfolio

Publishing Mentor dsieg58 is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 565 Posts

Step-by-Step Plan to Build a $5000 per Month Passive Income Website Portfolio

First, I'm seeing more and more of this and believe this is a long term trend.
    Shoppers Are Fleeing Physical Stores

As more and more shoppers in the leave big box stores behind, the online presence is growing. I've never been much for affiliate marketing and Adsense. I DID make some money from Adsense back in the days of yore (2000-2005) but gave it up due to declining Adsense rates and competition. I turned to creating my own products and marketing those instead. Which worked great until about 2013, or so. Now I'm possibly returning full circle, creating a bunch of truly passive income sites using Adsense and Amazon as the main profit pullers.

The question became, however, how to rank highly and monitize the sites post Panda and Penguin. I know, I know, we all hate Google, SEO sucks, link building is a drag. Welcome to the world of online marketing in 2014. I kept on thinking with all the experience I have now, outsourcing is the only way to go.

So I started looking/thinking about a plan. I came across this today and read it in about an hour. It's free as I write this.
    HOW TO MAKE MONEY ONLINE: Learn how to make money from home with my step-by-step plan to build a $5000 per month passive income website portfolio

It's a quick read for most of us since we don't need lessons on the basics and you can get to the 'meat' fairly quickly. All the hyperbole aside, and cutting the "$5000 per month" in half as a general realistic starting figure, (Meaning aim for $2,500 USD per month) in 6 months. I think his plan might be do-able.
    It sounds like it to me anyway.

Pros of this book:
    • Easy, quick read
    • Step by step plan, supported by videos.
    • Easily understandable by someone with minimal knowledge of IM.
    • Emphasizes it isn't a 'get rich quick' method, but one based on hard work and time.
    • All techniques are white hat
    Cons of this book:
    • Nothing earthshaking or innovative about what is being talked about.
    • Repetitious in many aspects.
    • Author is clearly selling his own resources and (I'm sure) Affiliate links to any product/service mentioned.
    Speaking for myself personally, I would outsource article and post writing as well as link building and concentrate mainly on keyword research since I like doing it, but that could be outsourced as well. I figure, once most of the prep work (Keyword research and content creation) is done, I can put up one of these sites in a day, easy. I think, even with outsourcing, I could get the one site built and set up for less than $300 USD. Multiply that by 10 = $3000 USD investment. Since it is purely passive, and I know only 2 out of the 10 will make most of the money (80/20 rule) recouping a $3000 investment in 1 year isn't an unreasonable expectation. Keep in mind it could be done for free, or much cheaper, it would just take longer.

So here's my question to you good people who are already either doing this, or have done it more recently than I have, do you this this is realistic?
    Last edited by Clinton; 8 August 2014 at 1:37 pm. Reason: To remove affiliate code in link. Please be careful when posting links!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dsieg58 For This Useful Post:

Kay (8 August 2014)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Good question, David. Thanks.

I doubt if it's realistic because it has a strong whiff of MMO about it. However, perhaps it's best not to dismiss everything out of hand just because I find it hard to believe. Therefore, I'll have a go at it. If it works, I'll be quids in. If it doesn't, it's no big deal - it'll just be the same as all the others who fail to deliver what they promise.

I've got the book (also free from Amazon.co.uk) and I'll go and sign up for his free Udemy course.

I've not even got started with his teaching but already it's ticking all the usual IMer boxes.

Nothing would please me more than being wrong on this one. I could really use $5000 a month right now. I'm inclined to think that if his method works he'd be using it to make money rather than making money by teaching his method. Teaching is the big flavour of the month for making money these days. It's the same with flipping websites. As I wrote in my latest book, very few people teaching how to make money by flipping websites actually make a living these days from flipping. They make their money by teaching how to do it.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

Brodie (20 August 2015), dsieg58 (8 August 2014), TheodoreK (14 August 2014)

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    I don't think you're wrong, Kay. Most of these MMO IMers are very, very, very convincing.

Emphasizes it isn't a 'get rich quick' method, but one based on hard work and time
    That's standard with all smart MMO merchants. If only I had one cent for every time an MMO merchant said his wasn't a "get rick quick" scheme!

All techniques are white hat
    Again, standard MMO pitch designed to appeal to those webmasters (most novice webmasters) who see Google organic as the only source of traffic and are conscious about not upsetting the Google gods.

Author is clearly selling his own resources and (I'm sure) Affiliate links to any product/service mentioned
    Of course! That's how he makes his money (instead of just implementing what he's giving away in this free book!)

Sorry, David, I wouldn't recommend anybody wasting their time even if the book itself is free.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

Brodie (20 August 2015), dsieg58 (8 August 2014), TheodoreK (14 August 2014)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    At first glance it seemed just like any other typical MMO product and, on closer inspection, I'm seeing nothing different.

The author is repurposing the same content in various formats - all free. As already mentioned, he makes his money from the associated affiliate links. He teaches how to make money online on his website, in his books, via YouTube videos and via a Udemy course. You can choose how you learn. However, the book (my preferred way of learning) constantly refers to his other sources - especially his videos - so I gave up on the book fairly quickly and switched over to the Udemy course.

It was disappointing. Given that David had suggested this one, I'd hoped it might be better, or at least different, from all the others. It wasn't. The first video was just burble about him and how he makes a passive income. There was about five minutes of instruction out of the 28 minutes I endured. (Most of the time I let him drone on in the background while I got on with something else.) The instruction consisted of the same old recipe. How many of us could recite it in our sleep? Do keyword research, find high value keywords, rank well in Google for these keywords, stick AdSense on the site, rake in the money. Once you've done this you can sit back and enjoy the AdSense income. That's why it's passive income.

But it's not really passive is it? First you have to create such a site and get it ranking high and build the traffic. That doesn't just happen. Even if you do achieve that, you usually have to keep working at it to keep the rank or the site will go into decline. Also, he suggests that adding new content will lead to exponential growth. Adding content isn't passive either. Even if you outsource, you still have to manage the people you've outsourced to. So I think calling his system "passive" is a bit of BS.

Additionally, despite saying he frequently updates his material, he still recommends using the Google Keyword Tool. That was replaced by Google Planner a couple of years ago.

So far I'm not impressed. If his first lecture is indicative of the standard of his course, I can't really motivate myself to listen to any more. One mildly interesting thing he said was that as soon as he learned how to build WordPress sites he went into business charging $500 a shot to build basic WP sites for others. It sounds as though he aims his products and services squarely at the gullible.

I'm out.

PS: If that guy does make any money, then it's a great example of how to make money from teaching tired old recipes.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

dsieg58 (8 August 2014)

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Is this more interesting? Free course on black hat methods -

http://newswire.net/newsroom/pr/0008...-services.html
    I can't post very easily on this forum from the tablet - it works OK in other places, but here it is a PITA.

I have to paste in from Wordpad and the formatting goes wrong every time. Don't ask, just say it only happens to Crabby...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

dsieg58 (8 August 2014)

Established Member
    Thanks
    I downloaded the book and read the whole thing on my train ride home last night. I am not an internet marketer by any means but to help me understand what helps and hurts my own website for my legal practice, I have had a few small websites for about 5 years and have regularly read articles on creating niche sites. I saw nothing that could not have been written 5 years ago, with the exception of the discussion of PostRunner which I had never heard of. The idea of submitting articles to article directories, web 2.0 sites and blogs has been around for years. The idea of spinning articles to put out backlinks to your backlinks has been around just as long. To me, it looks like a rehash that really hasn't anything new except perhaps the need to have good content post Panda and Penguin.

Some of the advice has even been discredited or at least made least effective. I am particularly thinking about the advice to put your keywords in the URL. While that may help a little in the SERPs, changes to G's algorithm have largely eliminated any SEO advantage. With the RIGHT words in the URL, I still believe (with absolutely no evidence to back me up) that it might help your click-through rate, although not as much as having the right snippet in the SERPS.

I was hoping for at least a little something new, but if it was there, i did not see it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David S For This Useful Post:

dsieg58 (8 August 2014), Kay (8 August 2014)

Thanks
    OK, message received. As I said in the first post, I KNOW it is MMO, that's not the point. EVERYTHING on the internet is MMO. Show me something that isn't MMO. The name of this subforum is MMO. But keep in mind the old adage, "The more things change, the more they stay the same." and "Past is prologue."

Let's look at this from another angle. I firmly believe, at least in the US, online shopping is going to boom, (Duh) and retail is in a decline, just like the first article states. It is just too easy, convenient, and if Amazon gets same day delivery in place, fast. Gas is too expensive, the distances too far and the time it takes to shop is too rare. I know a lot of people in retail and I'm hearing, and have been hearing the same thing for years. People now "shop" retail to hold and look at the physical product, but buy online. I live in an affluent area and retail stores, even "Dollar Tree" stores are folding. People aren't shopping retail anymore. A huge business has been created by people buying the huge marked down prices offline and then selling online. (FBA anyone?)

Here's my point: If you can get in front of a trend, you stand to make some money. That is time tested and time honored online and off. MMO or not. Some things will ALWAYS be bought online. The buying process STARTS NOW online with gathering of info. For example, I'm a big fan of "Grind and Brew" coffee makers. I can never find a good selection offline, and even if I do find the one I want, it is too expensive to purchase offline when I can buy them at 60% of the price online. I have Prime shipping so I can wait two days for it to arrive. Last week I researched it, then turned around and bought directly off a review page. How many people reading this do the same? Part of the keyword research should be identifying products which are mainly bought online, like grind and brew coffee makers.

What do you want to bet LOTS of other people do the same? What do you want to bet MORE people will do so in the future? What do you want to bet that on certain products it will become the dominant form of retail buying in the future, if it isn't already?

Adwords works. They just aren't as cheap as they once were. I also think a combination of adwords and on page SEO will get you on the front page if not top billing, on SOME long tail keywords. (My experience, anyway) Yes, of course, the days of getting the number one spot for "Coffee makers" on Google is over. If you can identify certain products, and certain long tailed keywords, which people tend to buy online, throw up what amounts to the 2014 version of a "mini-site" you might get some traction. Review sites also still work. SOMEONE made a commission off my sale. Or it might not. Or it might work for awhile, then quit working. Who knows? But nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The glass isn't ALWAYS half empty. At this point there IS nothing new in IM. Show me ANYTHING new in IM. (Why does everything have to be brand new and shiny to work in IM? I prefer tried and true, not reinventing the wheel) I personally feel condemning everything as "MMO" without trying it, or because they are good copywriters or marketers, without having direct experience with it, is a losing strategy. But as I look around the internet, the best evidence I see is there ARE people still doing it after 15 years. I check the sites and some of them are 10+ years old. One assumes, after this amount of time, they are making money.

Look at this realistically.

Keyword research (Free)
    I can buy SEO'd articles for $6 a piece. (10 articles at $6 = $60)
    OptimizePress can put up all the basic pages with the press of a button
    Wordpress and plugins (free)

I can have a site up, once the keyword research and articles are finished in one hour. I paid $60, and spent maybe 2-3 hours creating the site. (1-2 hours research + one hour building) I can use cheap Adwords ($50) to drive traffic to see if it has potential. I've spent $110 and 3 hours of time to test market. If it shows potential, I can outsource a link building strategy for $150 to drive it further up the SERPs, then scale back the Adwords. Add Adsense and Amazon affiliate links. I think building a list for these kinds of products is horsesh#t. Using the 80/20 rule I update only the ones making money. It can be done part time, or as I have time.

In my experience, that's not bad as far as IM goes. Show me something better.

I do think $5K a month is unrealistic (And said so in the first post) and I think it will take more than 10 websites. But that's OK. I'm spending money and time on my own terms. If I can get even $2,500/month (Hell, I'll settle for a $1,000/month) with little ongoing effort, then an extra $12K-30K a year looks good for the time, effort and/or money, expended.

Of course I could be wrong and have been wrong more times than right in IM. Which is why you test market each site. But as I said, nothing ventured, nothing gained. It isn't a question of how many times I'm wrong, or right. It is a question of how many times I try. My point is, we see the same things differently, from a different set of circumstances.

Established Member
    Thanks
    You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
    Beverly Sills

Dave, it's certainly worth a try. As you say, the major investment is your time and a little money. Since you have the time, why not give it a shot.

My point was that there really nothing new in the book, particularly with respect to link building. Driving traffic to the sites through organic search is, in my admittedly limited experience, much tougher than he makes it seem. I believe that G has progressed beyond giving much weight to links from article directories and web 2.0 sites, so that a website relying on those link building methods is going to have a hard time getting enough traffic to earn $1 a month, let alone $50 a month. I was hoping for some new ideas and just didn't see them.

I hope you do succeed and look forward to hearing your progress.

Thanks
    My point was that there really nothing new in the book, particularly with respect to link building. Driving traffic to the sites through organic search is, in my admittedly limited experience, much tougher than he makes it seem. I believe that G has progressed beyond giving much weight to links from article directories and web 2.0 sites, so that a website relying on those link building methods is going to have a hard time getting enough traffic to earn $1 a month, let alone $50 a month. I was hoping for some new ideas and just didn't see them.
    Oh, I agree with you there. Like I said in my original post...

Cons of this book:
    • Nothing earthshaking or innovative about what is being talked about.
    My point is, there is nothing new in IM. You have a lot of experienced IM'ers on this site and I've yet to see anything "new" in terms of making money online on this forum. At best, you might find variations of the same ol, same ol. If you find something new, it is worthy of more suspicion in my book. What I want is something that I can do easily with existing skills, research quickly, test market cheaply, which doesn't require expensive outlays in cash, or time. Those opportunities have dried up in IM, or at least certainly aren't what they used to be. Which means, at least to me, time to look at ways that have worked in the past and are still working. So while I'm not advocating his method in a slavish step-by-step fashion, I am saying 'returning to the past' might be an idea worth trying since there is nothing else anyway. But it's hard to go wrong with building (whitehat) back links and posting original content. If it is going to work, that method would probably have the best chance.

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    I firmly believe, at least in the US, online shopping is going to boom, (Duh) and retail is in a decline, just like the first article states
    The pitch usually starts with a claim that any reasonable person would agree with, a statement of the obvious, or the marketer identifying with a pain the customer feels. He's on your side, you share the same opinions, you see the same things, ergo he's a good guy. Hey, you both agree that online shopping is "going to boom". Box ticked here.

Then he shows you what could be. Makes it look easy. You are naturally sceptical. That's fine, he's expecting it. At this point he throws in the caveats (not a "get rick quick"). Ah, you think, so he and I are still on the same page. Another box ticked. But you've got an open mind and consider that his claims are possible. After all, you're now favourably disposed towards him.

He then has two tasks: to make the achievement credible and to convince you that he has information ("secrets") that will unlock this door for you. You can almost hear the boxes getting ticked.

It's all formulaic. It's all a script that has been copied a million times with just a few tweaks along the way to personalise the copy for each particular MMO marketer's product. Heck, look around and you'll find that they've tested these pitches again and again, changed copy with small tweaks and done A/B testing, made further minor changes to optimise the copy and worked out which copy fools the most people. Then they sell the copy to other marketers or charge to modify the most productive copy to each marketer's specific needs (changing the "working bits" as little as possible). Some of the best copy - one page sales letters for crying out loud - sell for five figure sums!

It always looks very credible and the maths seems to add up ... but it doesn't (even at $1000 a month). If you have the time do go ahead and implement, and I wish you all the best, but please do come back to explain which part of the maths failed. It would help other members. Chances are, if you're anything like the other victims, you'll put any failure down to your own lack of proper implementation or something you've done wrong.

You're a nice guy, and I respect and look forward to your posts so I sincerely hope that you can prove me wrong in a big way.

@ Crabfoot

PBN Masterclass? PBN Assassin?

Puke! You can't be serious! He's discovered the secret to SEO: quality content, on-site SEO and quality backlinks. And he's going to show you how to do that. I don't think you're his target customer. He seems to be looking for first time webmasters. If you have a great SEO advantage (or blackhat technique that works) you'll go after Viagra and Personal Injury SERPs, not teach the technique to novices.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

Kay (8 August 2014)

+ Reply to Thread