+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Accommodation reviews by non-visitors - what's in it for them?

Top Contributor
    France. Between Limoges and Brive la Gaillarde.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Accommodation reviews by non-visitors - what's in it for them?

A friend with a gite (holiday let) business has received a 4-star rating with no associated review from a person (a good-looking woman, if you believe the associated G+ profile) that has never been near the place. She seems to have done the same for an assortment of similar locations on Google Maps, scattered over France, Germany and a couple of other European countries. Her G+ profile is only 6 months old. Is she just bored, or is there an underlying motive?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chabrenas For This Useful Post:

Kay (15 August 2014)

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    She could be building her profile?

Then when she posts a scathing review for a competitor of hers it won't look like a one-off vindictive act. That's something we see on more than the odd occasion when moderating forums.

Of course there could be other motivations
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (17 August 2014)

Thanks
    Could be what Clinton said, or the reverse side of that coin it could be building up a profile for fake positive reviews for clients. Lots of that going around too. Same thing as the shill bidders on Flippa who bid on random auctions that are below the reserve so they will have a profile of bidding on lots of different auctions so the shill bid wont stand out so much. Fake profiles very often use random pictures of attractive women.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to petertdavis For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (17 August 2014), Clinton (15 August 2014), Kay (15 August 2014)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    I thought it was a great question because there are always loads of sneaky things going on. Most people (ie not the type who hang out on EP) wouldn't give it a second glance or think to question it.

How the world has changed! It used to be that people took things at face value and trusted others unless they had reason not to. Now it's a case of looking for the motive and vested interest in almost everything. It's quite sad really.

I had thought along the lines of what Clinton and Peter said but wondered if their might be any other reason particular to G+. I'm not familiar with G+ and any time I've ever asked about it on EP I've mostly had the reply that it's mainly social media professionals who find it useful. That's partly why I wondered what else the person might have been aiming for.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Top Contributor
    France. Between Limoges and Brive la Gaillarde.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Clinton's and Peter's suggestions sound much more likely than my first assumption - that 'she' might follow up by trying to sell ad space on a new site.

+ Reply to Thread