+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Junk phone calls - Grrr

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    David, I'm starting to use your tactic. I've had a handful of people (real business people, not telemarketers,) ask me for my number today so they can call me. Each time I responded along the lines you suggested. I run an online business, and the fastest way to contact me is to email. I have someone look at my phone once a day to see if anyone has called, so there's bound to be a delay if you phone.

Mind you, if only I could get a premium rate number, I might change my attitude. (Dave says it's too much bother.) But just imagine, if I gave my phone number to all these people who want to discuss business that way, I would never have a nano second of peace from it, but I'd be so rich I might not care.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (19 August 2014), dsieg58 (19 August 2014)

Publishing Mentor dsieg58 is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 565 Posts
    At the end of the day, I consider unwanted, unsolicited phone calls the same way I would view some someone interrupting a conversation, or barging through a closed door without knocking or announcing themselves. It's rude and indicates a lack of respect for the person on the other end. I think it's really no different than if you call a doctor or a lawyer, or business professional. Chances are you don't get to talk to them. You leave a message with their receptionist and they call you back. (If they want too) I understand in a retail and/or other businesses it is expected, and you are to be at their beck and call. I can sympathize with you, but I can't really understand the mindset of the other party unless they're used to having servants. But since I would never dream of working/consulting for such people, I'm perfectly happy if my competition gets to deal with them and the resulting headaches. Yes, I leave money on the table, and I guess I'm lucky that I can.

Telemarketers, they don't even get to first base. I strike them out at the plate.

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    One of these callers is still pestering me. Dave took a closer look at it and there was a message saying something along the lines of: if you don't want to receive these calls any more, you can unsubscribe here: just call... a prime rate phone number!

That's gotta be illegal. He said he'll report it to the appropriate authorities, and try to get them banned from using a premium number service.

Meanwhile, we've also had paid fundraisers at the door with bleeding heart stories trying to get us to pay a monthly sum to teach kids first aid in schools or something.

In many ways I'm enjoying the novelty of living in the UK, but I'm finding it difficult to adjust to this culture of constant pestering.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

+ Reply to Thread