+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flippa's new domain catalogue

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

Flippa's new domain catalogue

Have you seen Flippa's new domain catalogue? Instead of the auction model this works on the "best offer" and "buy it now" basis. Needless to say, some people think their minimum fee of $60 is too high, especially for lower value [domains]. Perhaps it's a measure to keep the rubbish out. There are already comments from those who have thousands of domains to list. This could be a big money spinner for Flippa.

Is this a service which you would consider using?

http://flippa.com/blog/introducing-f...mains-catalog/
    Last edited by Kay; 18 August 2014 at 5:35 am. Reason: wrote "sites" when I meant "domains"
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

Clinton (18 August 2014)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    I had a closer look at this. It looks as though it could be a way to test the market and see if there's any interest in the domain. As far as I understand it (and if I'm wrong perhaps one of Flippa's staff can correct me), you can list for free, so if there's no interest in your domain and it doesn't sell, then you don't need to pay anything. If it does sell, then you have to pay $60 or 15%, whichever is greater - even if the domain only sells for $20. So, it's not economical to sell via the catalogue until the offers reach c$400. If there is considerable interest, you might find it better to sell via the usual auction system and you can upgrade your catalogue listing to an auction listing at any time on payment of the appropriate auction listing fee.

On the face of it, it sounds good. But there must be pitfalls to watch out for, eg what if all the "interested" buyers suddenly disappear after you've paid for your auction listing? I'm not sure if they have any measures in place to ensure that bids on the catalogue listing are automatically binding on the subsequent auction.

Well, I suppose since it doesn't cost anything to list in the catalogue I might as well try it and see how it goes. Perhaps I'll list the domain I mentioned on this thread.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

+ Reply to Thread