+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why do salesmen not listen to their potential customers?

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

Why do salesmen not listen to their potential customers?

This guy approached me out of the blue yesterday (via email). He was selling ads on behalf of what seemed to be a legit UK advertising agency. He had some ad space to fill at the last minute and was selling the slot cheap. Did I want to buy a quantified amount of advertising on the Daily Dirt (a prominent British tabloid) for £xxx?

I replied by return that, in principle, this type of offer interested me as it was something I might like to do in the future, but that particular offer wasn't suitable because:

a) it was beyond my budget - did he have anything similar in a smaller circulation paper ie cheaper? Perhaps something more niche? I told him the niches which might be of interest.

b) the Daily Dirt wasn't of interest to me because the demographic didn't suit my existing audience nor was it of interest for customer acquisition - did he have anything with a different type of readership?

He replied that he was very keen to discuss this. Send my phone number so he would call.

I replied using DSieg's spiel - much quicker to contact me via email, blah, someone checks the phone once a day.

Today:

He thanked me for the opportunity to talk yesterday and my time for the phone call.

Huh?

And then he reiterated his Daily Dirt offer.

Huh, again. I told him yesterday that I wasn't interested in advertising on that paper, and even went to the effort of suggesting alternatives. What bit of that did he not understand? Maybe he just didn't pay any heed to what I told him, even when I was willing to consider buying if he could offer me something suitable. Well, I can't see how he'll make many sales that way.

Now I don't want to do business with him. I just wouldn't like to have to work with that sort of person.

Do you think he was just of low intelligence or not capable to listening to what the customer wants? Both?
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Publishing Mentor dsieg58 is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 565 Posts
    Now I don't want to do business with him. I just wouldn't like to have to work with that sort of person.
    You're starting to sound like me. I'd feel the same way. It sounds to me like a "robo-reply."

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yeah, exactly. A stock reply based on the fact that I'd obligingly offered up my phone number and we'd had a nice little chat. (Wrong assumption, pal.)

Never mind. It's more ammo for me to use against Dave McM. He keeps telling me it's more bother than it's worth for me to have a premium rate number. And I just keep saying, "Imagine how much money I could have made by welcoming such a call". Who will win this battle? Only time will tell.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Marketing Mentor Mikl is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    Do you think he was just of low intelligence or not capable to listening to what the customer wants? Both?
    Probably both. Most likely, he's not really a salesman at all, but a junior staff member using a semi-automated system to generate leads. The system is not programmed to distinguish different responses. Its main aim is to get phone numbers for use by cold callers.

But even if he is an experienced salesman, that doesn't rule out the "low intelligence" diagnosis. It's amazing how stupid and ignorant many senior marketing people are.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yep. His job title was Senior Account Manager.

"Arrogance" is an interesting choice of word. I'd not have thought of it. I tend to think that these intellectually challenged people do things by rote rather than anything which involves any kind of brain function or personality trait. Mind you, arrogance and stupidity often go hand in hand.

Oh, I just realised that I can be a bit arrogant sometimes. Hmm.

+ Reply to Thread