+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are there any brokers selling starter sites these days?

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

Are there any brokers selling starter sites these days?

Just checking a point for my new short eBook - a guide to starter sites for beginners - which will soon be available free to all EP forum newsletter readers. (Details coming by the end of this month.)

I know of some brokers who sold starter sites in the past but I believe they stopped doing that. Would it be correct now to say that brokers don't sell starter sites these days? I was going to say that brokers deal in a higher segment of the market and therefore aren't a suitable place to look for starter sites, but I need to check that this is a fact. Do you know of any reputable brokers who currently sell starter sites?

Thanks!
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Thanks
    What do you mean by 'starter site'?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I suppose in its broadest terms a "starter site" could mean a site to get people started in online business. There are different types of starter sites, by different names, and used for different purposes, eg "done for you" sites, affiliate template sites, brand new sites, or other ready-made sites. The factor which most of them have in common is they have no traffic or revenue, and many of them are sold on the basis of their "potential".

Last week Flippa created a new starter site section in their marketplace and made various claims about why this is an "opportunity" to buy the "best" new sites so buyers can "shop safely".

Given that I'm not the type of person to believe all I read, I thought it might be worth looking into this to see what exactly they're offering. As it happens, I've recently finished writing a comprehensive guide about buying websites (it'll probably be published next month). And when Flippa announced their new starter site section, I realised that I'd already done most of the groundwork about starter sites, as a small section for my main book about buying websites. So, I took some content from that book and added some new stuff, in particular the new opportunity offered by Flippa. I'm still working on this little guide to starter sites, which will be ready pretty soon. "What is a starter site?" is something I ask in that short new eBook, and then go on to answer in more detail.

Therefore, I don't propose to go into more detail in this thread about "what is a starter site", because I'll have a small eBook to give away next week which covers this subject and more. I'll offer it free to all EP members (not just those in the Premium Lounge) and I'll post the details in the BSTE so everyone who wants it can have it. I've promised it'll be ready by the end of the month.

Meanwhile, if other people would like to say what they think a starter site is, or the pros and cons of buying one, that would be great! I'll save my energy for the little eBook I'm writing rather than posting bits and pieces on various threads. I'm looking forward to hearing what people have to say - even if it does make my life more difficult because I'll have to keep changing the new eBook accordingly. LOL. Story of my life, and typical of the Internet, you finish a work and everything changes just as soon as it's gone into the editing process.

Just to clarify - this eBook I've promised by the end of the month is just a short guide to starter sites, it's not my main work about buying websites. That'll come later.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

aka "meathead1234" Thomas is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Empire Flippers have a marketplace for "starter" sites - although they all have some income. I think if you're getting started, you are far more likely to succeed if you buy a site making a few hundred a month already rather than trying to get something off the ground from zero.

They don't technically "broker" the sale in this case but it's close enough as they do some initial vetting (which isn't foolproof but better than buying from flippa).

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks, Thomas. I know that Empire Flippers did sell starters in the past, but the last I read about that (on a public thread here on EP somewhere) was that they'd decided not to do that any more. I don't know what their exact plans for the future are. Hence one reason why I'm asking for info before I finish the little starter site eBook - I'm trying to find out if it's correct to say that brokers don't sell these kind of sites, or some brokers do sell these kind of sites. Where better to get the facts from the horses' mouths than to ask the brokers themselves? Come to think of it, I'm not aware of any other well-known website broker even at the mid-end who does work in the lower segment of the market.

If nothing else, this is an opportunity for brokers to tell us what they do and don't do. While they're doing so (if they do!) it might be nice if they added a tip about brokers, starter sites, anything! (Blatant touting for business usually gets reported and therefore removed.)

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 709 Posts
    When I think of a starter site, it's a shell without revenue, ready for development into a resource on the web. I don't see starters as much different from turnkeys.

The sites I consider to be starters are stand-alone site scripts for new installs, hosted solutions for site types that provide the basic shell (ecommerce, directories) that you can build on, white label websites (dating, registrar, etc.), and plugins or themes for various CMS platforms to provide basic starting structure.

Thanks
    I see "starter sites" all over the US business for sale listings, I do not think there is much or any market for them. Years ago my I was working with a private broker to sell these sites but that area dried up. I am not sure what Empire Flippers is about. I inquired about a site and only received cut and paste emails-quite different then my experience with business and web brokers. I would think when an investor is looking to drop 100k on a site they would at least perform customer service in leads. Odd set up in my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread