+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No seo forever

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    "Don't judge a book by its cover" is as much a British English idiom as it is American. Apparently George Eliot used it in her book "The Mill on the Floss" back in 1860.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_j...k_by_its_cover

It was generally thought to be good advice. That changed to some extent when modern day authors, especially now on Kindle, realised that their books would indeed be judged by their covers - not so much that people would judge the content of the book by its cover, if they ever read the book. But it was the cover which provides the first impression and decides whether the customers will buy the book in the first place. So these days, people frequently do judge books by their covers, so I wonder if the original meaning of the idiom will no longer be applicable to modern life. I find it interesting to see how much things have changed. You could also apply "judging by its cover" to all kinds of packaging decisions.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

dsieg58 (26 August 2014)

Marketing Mentor Mikl is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dsieg58 View Post
    I bet lots of successful people have horrible written English skills. My point is, many competent people ... can't write grammatically correct English. That certainly doesn't make their ideas bad ones.
    Agreed. But my point was that if a self-publishing author is sloppy in his marketing material, I wonder if he is equally sloppy in the subject matter of the book. It's true that his ideas might be good. What I was commenting on was his ability to communicate those ideas.

Mike

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikl For This Useful Post:

dsieg58 (26 August 2014)

+ Reply to Thread