+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No seo forever

Publishing Mentor dsieg58 is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 565 Posts

No seo forever

NO SEO FOREVER: Focus on Ultimate Traffic Sources That Are More Reliable, Stable And Viral

I ran across this book today. (It is free as I write this.) While there is nothing new or earthshaking in it, he does bring up some valid points as well as offer suggestions to get around them. I think it is time to admit that SEO, or what most of think of as SEO, is dead. And ranking for any relevant search term, unless you have built an authority site around your niche for the last 15 years, you aren't going to rank.

I'm no expert on SEO, and truthfully, I gave up on it. I could care less what Google does, or doesn't do, and frankly I'm much happier now. Reading this book doesn't change my opinion much. But in better hands than mine, it might show a direction worth pursuing.

I was wondering what you guys thought of it. Do you think it would work?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsieg58 For This Useful Post:

Kay (24 August 2014), Mikl (25 August 2014)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Thanks for the heads up. I've now got the book (free) but have yet to read it.

I'm a wee bit sceptical, but will read it with an open mind. (There's plenty of space in my skull for new things, eg a brain? Hey, it's my birthday, I'm allowed to be flippant sometimes. Sunday, bank holiday weekend, birthday. Why wouldn't I be working?)

I also gave up on trying to rank in Google many years ago (even though I have authority sites which are almost 15 years old). I gave up on that when I discovered EP, and still believe it was good advice to do so.

One of my all time favourite EP threads is Grynge's Ideas for getting traffic.

I don't yet know what the premise of the recommended book is, but anything that overcomes a reliance on ranking in Google has to be a more sustainable and sensible way of aiming for success with an online business. (Unless you have unlimited funds to spend.) And yet, look at all the stuff that still comes out for sale today based around ranking well in Google. Sad, isn't it?
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

dsieg58 (24 August 2014)

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Keywords -

I forget info and mislay documents, so I have in the past put up parked sites to remind me when I want to know some obscure bit of nerdy info.

Imagine my surprise when I searched for some nerdy info this week, and one of my old minisites came up No.1 in the search!

Of course, being a Google search, my site didn't have the relevant info I wanted, but the 3rd pick of the search results did ...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

David S (24 August 2014), dsieg58 (24 August 2014)

Thanks
    I don't yet know what the premise of the recommended book is, but anything that overcomes a reliance on ranking in Google has to be a more sustainable and sensible way of aiming for success with an online business.
    The basic premise of the book is to use (already) high ranking sites and leverage the traffic from them. Notice I said 'traffic' not ranking. In a nutshell, the author is positing that getting high SERP's is all about getting (targeted) traffic, not necessarily rank. You, as a website owner, would be perfectly happy getting the traffic from a #1 ranking site without ranking Number one. It's all about the traffic, not rank. In that, he's right. So he goes about suggesting different ways of leveraging that traffic the (current) number one site already has. Like I said, nothing new or earth shaking, but it is a different way of looking at SEO. (Or maybe it's not and I'm simply out of touch)

Marketing Mentor Mikl is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    I haven't taken the trouble to download or read this book yet, but I'm sure I will agree with the overall sentiment. But I was slightly put off by the grammatical and other language errors in the book's description. If a self-publishing author doesn't take the trouble to get his marketing material 100 percent correct, it makes me wonder if he has taken enough care and attention with the book itself.

Mike

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikl For This Useful Post:

dsieg58 (25 August 2014), Kay (25 August 2014)

Thanks
    But I was slightly put off by the grammatical and other language errors in the book's description. If a self-publishing author doesn't take the trouble to get his marketing material 100 percent correct, it makes me wonder if he has taken enough care and attention with the book itself.
    To me, that's "Judging a book by its cover." To assume that a writer has nothing worthwhile to say because his sales page isn't grammatically perfect, ultimately means you miss out on a lot of good ideas (and good books) simply because they didn't have, or spend, 5K on an editor and a copywriter. I can find flaws, real or imagined, in anyone's grammar or use of language. I think good ideas can come from anywhere at anytime, from anyone, regardless of their use of language. No disrespect, or insolence intended. Just saying...

I read the book from front to back. While I'm sure it wasn't 100% correct grammatically speaking, its grammatical flaws didn't detract from the ideas presented, or stop me from considering their validity, or stop me from recommending the book to others who might benefit from it. Since the book is (Presently) free anyway, I see no loss or downside.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'm with Mike on this. If you can't produce a professional document, then you can't expect readers to treat you as a professional or buy your work. I can just imagine me trying to sell recordings of me playing the guitar - I'm not very good but I have some interesting ideas about how some things could be played. Buy my recordings and learn from me! I don't really see that as being much different as buying a badly written/edited book.

And as for "judging a book by its cover", LOL. Everyone knows that Kindle books are judged by their covers. That's why covers are so important.

When it comes to selling books, you have to learn what you can't already do or you have to pay for it. Simple. There are lots of people who don't want to buy a badly turned out book. That said, since I got it free, I will have a look at it when I can.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

dsieg58 (25 August 2014)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Too late for getting it free, Mike. It's 1.24 now. It has one review on the .co.uk, which I don't expect that David has seen since only the .com reviews are shown on all Amazon's country sites, it's a five star from Rob Cubbon.

For those who haven't heard the name before, he's an Internet Marketer, among other things. And he makes $2000 a month in passive income. See his page on Amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rob-Cubbon/e/B00G5VEY14 He's also got a Udemy course - I have a feeling that he's come up in conversation before. I'm sure of it, but don't have time to check right now.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

dsieg58 (25 August 2014)

Top Contributor Dave McM is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    I tend to assume that anyone who can't express their thoughts clearly in writing, isn't capable of thinking clearly - which isn't necessarily the case, but often is.

In this case I suspect it's partly an unfortunate consequence of trying to communicate in a language which he's not a native speaker of. (But only partly. How many small business owners spend thousands of dollars on SEO every month?)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave McM For This Useful Post:

dsieg58 (25 August 2014)

Thanks
    I can just imagine me trying to sell recordings of me playing the guitar - I'm not very good but I have some interesting ideas about how some things could be played. Buy my recordings and learn from me! I don't really see that as being much different as buying a badly written/edited book.
    Interesting. I bet lots of successful people have horrible written English skills. My point is, many competent people (Not saying this author is one of them) can't write grammatically correct English. That certainly doesn't make their ideas bad ones. I read a free (Marketing or business) kindle every single day. Some suck grammatically, but have some great ideas. (Ever read Gary Halbert's "Boron Letters?" Written in prison to his son. One of the great copywriters of all time. The copy I read was in long hand and his grammar sucked, but it was brilliant. For that matter, ever read any of Stephen King's original drafts? I have one kicking around somewhere if anyone wants one. Talk about bad grammar...) I figure if I get even one idea from them it was time well spent. I can also honestly say, some of those Kindle ideas have made me money. The book added to my knowledge base and gave me a couple of ideas. To me, that's all that counts. But to each his own. I don't mind using someone else's experience, or ideas, and adding it to my knowledge base. No matter who they are. But I guess I'm the minority.

And as for "judging a book by its cover", LOL. Everyone knows that Kindle books are judged by their covers.
    An American idiom (I guess) It means don't judge by appearance, or first appearance can be deceiving. Or, depending on the context, the person who makes shallow, or quick judgements are usually wrong. (I can't tell from your writing if you're familiar with the expression or not. If you are, apologies.)

+ Reply to Thread