+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amazon Prepares To "Google Slap" Google Adwords

Publishing Mentor dsieg58 is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 565 Posts

Amazon Prepares To "Google Slap" Google Adwords

Interesting article. Amazon is preparing to slap Google Adwords and is directly challenging Google. And people thought the war with Big Pub was the main attraction.

Amazon Prepares Online Advertising Program

Amazon.com Inc. is gearing up to more directly challenge Google Inc.’s dominance of the online advertising market, developing its own software for placing ads online that could leverage its knowledge of millions of Web shoppers.

Initially, Amazon plans to replace those ads on its pages that Google chiefly supplies with a new in-house ad placement platform, said people familiar with the matter. In the future, that system could challenge Google’s $50 billion-a-year advertising business and Microsoft Corp.’s, they added.

"Amazon could use the data it has about buying behavior to help make these ads much more effective," said Karsten Weide, an analyst at researcher IDC. "Marketers would love to have another viable option beyond Google and Facebook for their advertising."

The people familiar with the matter said Amazon's offering would resemble Google's AdWords, the engine that Google uses to place keyword-targeted ads alongside Google search results and on more than two million other websites. AdWords is the foundation of Google's roughly $50 billion-a-year advertising business, and Google counts Amazon as one of its biggest buyers of text link ads.

Full article here

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsieg58 For This Useful Post:

Clinton (25 August 2014), Kay (25 August 2014)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Verrry interesting. Good find!

One bit I take exception to is this:

...Amazon's offering would resemble Google's AdWords, the engine that Google uses to place keyword-targeted ads alongside Google search results...
    I really don't know when I last saw a "keyword-targeted" ad. It's all retargeting these days. Even on the article you linked to, which is about Amazon, Google, advertising, etc, I saw an ad encouraging me to get my groceries online at Waitrose. I'm not convinced that keyword targeting is still used much these days. Even so, the WSJ article refers to it as though it's commonly used. I used to do quite a lot of keyword research in the hope of attracting high value clicks. Now I'd say, "What's the point?"

Yeah, I know the article said that they're keyword-related on the search results, but it kinda implied that AdWords is an engine which places keyword-related ads. It used to but I'm not seeing much evidence of AdWords doing that very much any more.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Thanks
    Interesting point. I'm definitely seeing ads on other web pages that relate to either things I've searched for, or bought. This might be what you mean by retargeting. (I don't know the term) In fact, it's sort of scary. I guess my interest in the article is that someone with clout is ready to challenge Google, and Google Adwords. It's been a long time coming and I personally would like to see Google get knocked off their pedestal and introduce some competition. Google has reigned supreme long enough.

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    I agree, it would be nice to see Google knocked off its perch. But if their ad revenue nosedives as a result, it won't be so good for those of us who rely on AS earnings. It's possible that Amazon might take up the void, but I can't imagine them being a better boss than Google. On the AS side, G isn't such a bad boss anyway - at least they give you plenty of info so you can monitor how you're doing. I somehow doubt that Amazon would do the same.

Retargeting? Yes, you've got the gist of it. There's an interesting little article here:
    https://econsultancy.com/blog/64099-...1cg3mdm42hfkmq

Several EP members use it. I know that because I've looked at their sites and then their adverts have followed me about for weeks afterwards.

I'm told that retargeting works but mostly I find it very intrusive and annoying. I did get a chuckle out of it once as one of my website visitors became outraged and complained bitterly that I had advertised "such a thing" on my website. I did no such thing - the only logical answer was that he had been looking at some titillating stuff and it was following him around. Maybe he got caught by his wife or something and made the excuse that it was my fault. Tsk.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

dsieg58 (25 August 2014)

Thanks
    I haven't used Adsense in quite a while, but Adwords USED TO BE a great tool. It went the way of all Google products...a great tool for people with lots of money. I made a lot of money with Adwords, and still do to a lesser extent. But the days of cheap clicks are long past. If Amazon is true to form, however, it might be really interesting. Because Amazon WILL deliver cheap clicks and actively try to cut Google's throat by underbidding them. If you couple that with Amazon's 'one click' buying, and PayPal like payment processing (both of which Google doesn't have) and Google could be in second place real quick. People are much more comfortable buying from Amazon, than Google.

...at least they give you plenty of info so you can monitor how you're doing. I somehow doubt that Amazon would do the same....
    While I doubt in the long run Amazon will be any better than Google, the only thing you get these days are 'windows of opportunity', which provide temporary relief from the regime in place. Amazon is a technological leader, I wouldn't discount them having a platform as good, and as transparent as Google within a short while.

Marketing Mentor Mikl is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    I'm not sure I understand this completely. But if "keyword targeted ads" means ads in the search results that relate to what people are currently searching for, those are still very relevant. In particular, if a user has opted out of "interest-based ads", then the search-related ads will be the only ones they see.

Similarly, AdSense publishers can opt out of showing interest-based ads. That means that their visitors will only see ads relating to what's on the page they are viewing, not those based on their search history.

Google offers users and publishers complete control over whether to see re-targed or keyword ads, and so it's pretty certain that Amazon will do the same. In that respect, there's nothing remarkable in this announcement.

Mike

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikl For This Useful Post:

David S (25 August 2014), dsieg58 (25 August 2014)

Thanks
    AdWords is the foundation of Google's roughly $50 billion-a-year advertising business, and Google counts Amazon as one of its biggest buyers of text link ads.
    I find it ironic that Google's chief supporter just became its chief competitor. Make no mistake, Amazon has proven time and again, it doesn't mind losing money to take down a competitor. I remember clearly the days that Google worked with small business/website owners to build their brand, then systematically cut them out of the search/Adwords equation. This isn't going to be pretty. What goes around, comes around...

+ Reply to Thread