+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questions for Flippa about starter sites

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

Questions for Flippa about starter sites

One might reasonably think that I should ask my questions directly to Flippa, but I've found their support to be somewhat hit and miss. For example, last week I raised two support tickets with them. One was dealt with promptly and efficiently by a helpful chap called Martin. The other seems to have fallen into a void somewhere. Perhaps Ian(?), who was dealing with it, occasionally has dropped balls.

Anyway, as any fule kno, often the quickest and best way to elicit a response from Flippa is to ask on EP. I therefore humbly ask my questions here.

Last week, I was inspired to write a quick eBook about starter sites. I don't know why I do these things but it happened.
    http://experienced-people.net/forums...es-marketplace

And now I need to check some facts for the little book (which will be a freebie). Here are my questions along with a few notes and queries for clarification about their starter site section:

From Flippa’s key aspects of starter sites:

Quote Originally Posted by Flippa's blog
    Flippa Verified Sellers

Only Flippa Super Sellers are showcased here, who are those who have an exemplary transactional history in the marketplace. You can shop safely and trust you’ll be looked after when you buy a Starter Site.
    From my notes: Super Sellers are those who do have consistently high ratings for their transactions, but this is no way reflects the quality of what they’re selling. It only means that they diligently and honestly carry out the transactions. It could mean that they’re very successful in selling low quality sites. Who can say? At best, this reassurance can only give you some confidence that the seller won’t cheat you in the transaction process. It says nothing of the quality of the site offered for sale.

It appears they are leveraging the trust factor - the buyer's confidence of a safe transaction - to encourage buyers to see these starter sites as being a good business investment. If you look more closely, Flippa appear to have done no quality control to vet the sites themselves only the sellers are vetted.

Question: Is that a correct analysis and if not could you please explain why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Flippa
    SEO ready

Every Starter Site has the groundwork laid for success, including the basic keyword tagging for search engines like Google
    My Notes: Basic keyword tagging can hardly be claimed to be the groundwork for success. What else is included in this groundwork for success? They don't say.

Question: Can you please clarify this?

Quote Originally Posted by Flippa
    Comprehensive support and instructions

Each Seller of a Starter site commits to helping the new owner get up and running and provides comprehensive FAQ & help documentation. You can trust if you ever get stuck, they will be there to help.
    My notes: This is fair enough, except for the claim that if you “ever” get stuck the seller will help you. Most offer support for a limited time afterwards, often 30 days. After all, it would seem to be unreasonable to expect someone to offer lifetime support for a little site worth only a few hundred dollars and maybe even less. And many of these sellers are churning out numerous starter sites for sale. How would they ever cope with having to provide unlimited support for all of them? The claim therefore seems a bit exaggerated.

Question: What exactly is Flippa claiming about the support the buyer should expect from the seller?

Thanks for your time. I'm keen to make my little eBook as factual as possible.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It seems I'm not the only one who's curious about Flippa's new starter sites section. Here's an interesting blog posting by Michael (DomainMagnate) who is a member here.

http://www.domainmagnate.com/2014/08...tes-on-flippa/

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    It seems I'm not the only one who's curious about Flippa's new starter sites section. Here's an interesting blog posting by Michael (DomainMagnate) who is a member here.

http://www.domainmagnate.com/2014/08...tes-on-flippa/
    thanks for the plug, Kay

I think there is a lot of controversy surrounding these starter sites, and I was quite surprised after my research showed the scale of the "operation". However what I find the strangest is that many sellers of starter sites are given a "super seller" status and badge on flippa just for selling a dozen new sites totalling merely $1-2K in sales. I remember back when it was introduced only the sellers with hundreds of thousands of dollars in sales with perfect feedback had it applied and now it's practically given to everyone.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I agree, Michael. I also had some questions about these issues. I raised them here expecting that Tim Cooke (Flippa's representative on EP) would reply, but even though he's been on EP and presumably is aware of the thread, he's not chosen to respond to the questions.

Meanwhile, I wrote a little eBook about starter sites. I'd love to have some feedback on that, if you have time to read it. It's available free to anyone who wants it - I advertised it in the BSTE.

+ Reply to Thread