Thread: Hello from Las Vegas

Trial Member
    Thanks

Hello from Las Vegas

Hi, My name is Marty. I'm a gentleman in my 60's, and I'm very active. I've owned some businesses in the past, including a landscape contracting firm, scrap metal and auto parts businesses, and I've done some real estate investing. At the present time, I'm working in a semi-independent type of job, but I wish to explore some new online and offline opportunities. I also am an avid writer on various non-fiction topics, and I may want to expand in this area or become an author.

My philosophy is to provide good value and service to people, and I believe this should be the main factor that drives all good businesses, including those on the Internet. One example would involve the subject that actually drew me to this site, website reselling. I refuse to regard it as a "flipping" venture, because I feel that suggests non-professionalism, and lack of concern for clients and an actual "flippant" mentality.

Anyway, I look forward to participating and communicating with you. I am impressed with what I've seen thus far.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to martster For This Useful Post:

dsieg58 (8 September 2014)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Hi Marty! great to meet you. You'll find lots of people here who have interests in common with you - writers of non-fiction, people in your age group, experienced business people looking for something different. It's all here.

It sounds as though you have a good philosophy about business. I agree, strive to give good value and good service. Those who don't, even though they might make more money in the short term, will sell their self respect in the process. For some of us, integrity and self-respect are more important than money. I've always believed that you get out pretty much as you put in to anything. Eventually. Whilst there can often seem to be no correlation between effort and reward, especially on the Internet, it all works out in the long run. Unless you die or someone shafts you...

I'm glad you like it here. Have a good look around and join in. Ask for help if you see an area where we might be able to give it.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

JimWaller (4 September 2014)

New Member Mentor JimWaller is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Hi and Welcome martster (Marty)!

Thanks for taking a moment to introduce yourself. Here at EP, introductory posts are important as they help us get to know you and help our other members decide how much value they will place on your views and opinions.

We try to maintain a high level of quality information, and one way we do that is by following our forum rules (especially rule 3 our so-called "no fluff" rule) Our members put a lot of thought into their posts and I'm sure you'll do the same. We have very helpful members in our community, so feel free to ask questions in the appropriate forums. Who knows, another member might have the same questions you have.

Out of curiosity, how did you find us? Was it a web search, a referral by a friend, or something else? I originally came here when a friend who was already a member here told me about it.

As you are interested in website reselling, a good place to start is our due diligence and gotchas forum as it is good to know what to look for and what to look out for on either side of a sale.

Your interest in writing might also lead you to our publishing forum. (If you're interested in upgrading to premium membership, you would have access to our guide to due diligence which is exclusive to premium members and you'd also have access to our writers and publishers group forum. You can still get great information if you don't upgrade, but there is some great information not available elsewhere if you do.)

I think you'll enjoy being a member here, and I hope you'll become an active part of our community.

Kind Regards,

Jim
    Help bring Janice home My mother-in-law was hospitalized while on vacation (holiday) We're trying to bring her home.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JimWaller For This Useful Post:

Kay (4 September 2014)

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Wow, what great advice, Jim. Thank you for responding and for recommending what pertains to my specific areas of interest. As for how I found this site, it was actually through a web search, and I did not have knowledge of it prior to that. I'll look forward to checking things out and communicating with you in the future!

Take care,

Marty

8. The Following User Says Thank You to martster For This Useful Post:

JimWaller (6 September 2014)

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martster View Post
    One example would involve the subject that actually drew me to this site, website reselling. I refuse to regard it as a "flipping" venture, because I feel that suggests non-professionalism, and lack of concern for clients and an actual "flippant" mentality.
    Because of changes to the Google algorithms in the last couple of years, flipping is a very difficult thing to do these days - but there's never been anything flippant about it.
    Let us be clear, to flip a site means that someone has the ability to spot that the site has some untapped potential, then rapidly perform changes to add value to it very quickly. Those people with the relevant talents tend to hang on to the sites they discover these days, rather than sell them quickly - but be sure it takes a lot of skill and judgement, and there is nothing amateur about the process.

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crabfoot View Post
    flipping is a very difficult thing to do these days - but there's never been anything flippant about it.
    That is precisely my point, and it is why I prefer to use a more professional term, such as "website reselling." I did not mean to suggest there was anything flippant or amateur about marketing something useful and valuable to others. I was only speaking of the word ("flipping") that falsely suggests there is. I'm sorry you apparently misunderstood what I was trying to convey.

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martster View Post
    That is precisely my point, and it is why I prefer to use a more professional term, such as "website reselling." I did not mean to suggest there was anything flippant or amateur about marketing something useful and valuable to others. I was only speaking of the word ("flipping") that falsely suggests there is. I'm sorry you apparently misunderstood what I was trying to convey.
    No misunderstanding on my part, but your "website reselling" phrase does not convey any sense of urgency.

Whatever you are flipping, usually a house or a website (the term is also used in other places, eg. the restored furniture trade) the objectives are to effect changes that result in a relatively fast profit. Take something that is hard to sell (so you get it cheap) and make it easy to buy (so you can get a fast return on your investment).

"Website reselling" does not covey the urgency of the process that "flipping" describes, which is why the succinct verb "to flip" is commonly used.

It is one of those words for which there is no real substitute, like "secret".

Now stop mucking about and get on with life ...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (10 September 2014)

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crabfoot View Post
    No misunderstanding on my part, but your "website reselling" phrase does not convey any sense of urgency.

Whatever you are flipping, usually a house or a website (the term is also used in other places, eg. the restored furniture trade) the objectives are to effect changes that result in a relatively fast profit. Take something that is hard to sell (so you get it cheap) and make it easy to buy (so you can get a fast return on your investment).

"Website reselling" does not covey the urgency of the process that "flipping" describes, which is why the succinct verb "to flip" is commonly used.

It is one of those words for which there is no real substitute, like "secret".

Now stop mucking about and get on with life ...
    Wow, pardon me, Mr. Crabapple or whatever your name is. What is this a prison, where you immediately jump on a new "fish" with extreme rudeness? And then, some other poster has the nerve to thank you for your insolent remark and poor, inapplicable advice?

Not that I owe you an explanation, but a sense of urgency does not need to be displayed to non-purchasers, and it is entirely irrelevant. It is like saying the term "real estate investor" does not convey any sense of urgency." To whom, and for what?

"Whatever you are flipping, usually a house or a website (the term is also used in other places, eg. the restored furniture trade) the objectives are to effect changes that result in a relatively fast profit. Take something that is hard to sell (so you get it cheap) and make it easy to buy (so you can get a fast return on your investment)."

So what if the term is used in other places? If people choose to use it, that is their choice, but it is my choice to call my activity what I prefer, and what I feel conveys respect and concern for my clients.

Please stop mucking about and get on with life, with all due respect.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Ding. Ding. That's enough, thanks.

We're all grown up here (most of the time!), and actively trying to build our online businesses, so there are bound to be plenty of people with strong opinions. That's what happens when you get a bunch of creative, enthusiastic, and strong people around.

I'm not going to take sides here but simply ask you both to cool it a bit.

Marty is new. He's made a good introduction, he's making new friends and finding his way around on here. Let's cut him a bit of slack before unleashing the full force of EP's wisdom upon him.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

David S (11 September 2014), dsieg58 (15 September 2014)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Marty, you seem like exactly the kind of guy we want to have around. If you don't mind, may I just make sure I understand your situation correctly?

You're experienced at business, but kinda new to the online aspect of it? If so, that strikes a chord with me. One of our well-respected members said to me the other day that one of the best things about our forum is the fact that we cater so well for "experienced people". We don't teach Business 101 - most people here already have that (from life, if not a piece of paper). But there are many experienced business people who are relatively new to online business. I can see his point! And I agree with it.

No matter how experienced any of us are in business, when it comes to online business we're all still learning. And even if you could learn everything today, it'll have changed tomorrow anyway. Business 101 remains the same, as do the underlying principles and strategies of traditional business. But the tactics of how to do business online are evolving quicker than many of us can keep up with. In some ways it's even more bewildering for those of us who've been in online business for a few years. What you learned yesterday may or may not still apply today.* It's a very challenging environment. I don't know if it's more difficult for an oldie (not age, but length of time in online business) or a newbie. The oldie has to forget much of what they learned a while ago before they can start to embrace the new, whilst the newcomer to online business doesn't have to carry the same baggage. Even so, almost all experience is useful.

* And yet there are loads of people who now make their money by teaching/coaching/mentoring how they did it years ago. I'll do that too just as soon as someone invents a time machine so I can transport them back a couple of decades and then show them what to do. Crazy isn't it?

I like to see EP as a place where experienced people learn to apply their experience in new ways. I have nearly 15 years of online business experience, and a business degree, even so almost every day on EP I realise I'm a complete newbie at some of the stuff. Being on EP is a fantastic learning experience for those who want to learn.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

dsieg58 (15 September 2014), JimWaller (15 September 2014), timginn (12 September 2014)