+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FreeMarket.com Website Domain Marketplace

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 709 Posts

FreeMarket.com Website Domain Marketplace

As you may know, Freelancer purchased the Warrior Forum. Their next big step was to create the Warrior Payments service to process payments for offers and services provided.

Freelancer has now created a marketplace for buying and selling websites and domain names, named FreeMarket.com Announcement link

We've seen a lot of Warriors trying to sell their websites/domains while attracting high listing fees and minimum commissions from other marketplaces. We think that's just wrong!
    Every Freelancer.com and every WF member is a registered member of Freemarket.com and can use their same user names and passwords.

Listings are free. The success fee is 5%.

Quote Originally Posted by Freelancer CEO
    We're pretty excited to launch Freemarket today. One thing that was immediately obvious after we acquired Warrior Forum was how bad the existing solutions were for buying and selling domain names and websites on the Internet. I read post after post from Warriors complaining about how expensive and impractical it was to sell domains on other sites.

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Freemarket.com is the easiest and most affordable online marketplace to buy and sell websites or domains. It's 100% free to list your domain or website and we only take 5% commission when we find you a buyer.
    That's not true. It's cheaper on EP.

$1.99 listing fee and NO commission.

It only costs $1.99 to sell a starter website on here. It's a processing fee to stop link droppers and spammers. We don't take any success fee at all. OK, so we've not used it for domains. But we could. All it would take is to change a couple of words in the forum description. I can do that right now. Hey! That's not such a bad idea. Thanks.

Better still, if anyone wants to list their domains for sale today (ie for the next 24 hours), I'll not charge the processing fee for any EP member whose name I recognise - that means any member who has some good postings under their belt.

Help yourself. Experienced-People is the easiest and most affordable online marketplace to sell starter websites or domains. And it's free today. (Tomorrow it'll go back to the usual $1.99 processing fee for listing and no success fee.)

[Edit: I should have included this: There is NO listing fee on EP for Premium Members. Premium Membership includes several FREE advertising options, including free listings of websites, domains, services, etc, in our marketplace.]
    Last edited by Kay; 5 September 2014 at 5:02 am. Reason: To add information
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Even better - Flippa has reduced its Domain Catalog (sic) fees.

Effective immediately, our Catalog fee structure has been revised:

• the OLD fee structure for selling a domain in Flippa’s Domain Catalog was a 15% Success Fee, with a $60 minimum;
    • the NEW fee structure is now a 10% Success Fee, with a $10 minimum (congruent with our auction marketplace’s fee structure).
    Source: http://flippa.com/blog/flippa-domain-picks-sept04/

A bit of competition is a great thing. WF has the numbers to make an impact in this market. I'm looking forward to seeing the giants battle this out.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Established Member
    Thanks
    In real estate (particularly for retail establishments), the old mantra was that the three most important factors were: location, location, location. In selling online, it is the online version of the same thing: traffic, traffic, traffic. Anyone can put up an online auction site but Warrior Forum has the volume of visitors to give Flippa some real competition, particularly if they use the home page of the forum to alert people to the new site. It will be interesting to watch.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    In selling online, it is the online version of the same thing: traffic, traffic, traffic.
    WF certainly has the traffic, as I mentioned in my earlier post. However, one might also want to consider the quality of the traffic. I'd rather have half a dozen serious buyers who have money than thousands of wannabes, tyre kickers, and whatever else gets blown in on the wind. I'm not at all suggesting that the quality of Warriors isn't high, only that traffic, traffic, traffic isn't the goal. I actively try to reduce low quality traffic on my own websites, and to some extent we do that here on EP by having in place some barriers to entry.

Perhaps you'd like to restate your case because it sounds as though you think that traffic is the goal. Unless the site makes their money from advertising to their millions of eyeballs, then quality of traffic is an important consideration.

Established Member
    Thanks
    You're right that it may have sounded that way, but I didn't mean it that literally. The same is true of real estate, by the way. The location is important but for some stores that means Rodeo Drive or Knightbridge, while for others it may mean next to an expressway off-ramp, depending on the market. The same is true of traffic, different traffic for different sites. However, the underlying point was that a site like Warrior Forum that itself has lots of visitors can generate the kind of traffic that someone starting another website auction site could only dream of.

By the way, I spent a few minutes on FreeMarket.com and it is already filled with junk. There are domains for sale that only someone with almost no knowledge of English would ever think of. Several of the write ups that I looked at for websites were almost impossible to understand. If someone finds wading through Flippa tedious, then looking for a site on FreeMarket.com looks a hundred times worse. And it is just starting.

It will be interesting to watch.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to David S For This Useful Post:

dsieg58 (8 September 2014)

Publishing Mentor dsieg58 is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 565 Posts
    Even better - Flippa has reduced its Domain Catalog (sic) fees.
    Flippa reducing its fees is probably more indicative of a depressed market. Low demand. They would only reduce fees because no one is buying web property. Flippa wouldn't be concerned about competition at this point. Maybe later, but not an upstart.

Freemarket.com (What a GREAT domain name) may be a signal they are coming into the market at its bottom and are expecting it to come back. Their listing fees are cheaper in order to attract buyers/sellers.

Thanks
    website only sorting doesnt work.

I was talking with a flippa broker and they mentioned there is a new "serious" competitor, I am wondering if this is what they were talking about.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nokkieny For This Useful Post:

dsieg58 (8 September 2014)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    WF certainly has the traffic, as I mentioned in my earlier post. However, one might also want to consider the quality of the traffic.
    Indeed. There is a huge difference between Internet marketers, website buyers and sellers and the rest of the domain name industry. Very different ends of the spectrum.

Thanks
    Interesting that you can pay using the Freelancer Account, but beside that there's nothing innovative
    They're fighting on price rather than quality... at least for now.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danieleB For This Useful Post:

Brodie (29 July 2015), David S (25 September 2014)

+ Reply to Thread