+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moving all files to a different host

Thanks

Moving all files to a different host

It is true that Google will penalize you if you transfer files to a new host after purchasing a site? If so, what is the best course of action to keep this from happening. Do you see if you are able to take over their hosting account or maybe sign up with the same host and having them push the files to you, if that is possible? Or does this only happen because people try to go from a VPS to shared server?

aka "meathead1234" Thomas is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    This is a myth, although there is allegedly some weighting to the IP (e.g. location), so try host in the same location if possible. I've never had any issues with any sites I have moved. You certainly don't get penalised. If you have a site getting enough search traffic to be significant (let's say, over 5000 visits a day), then it's probably on a VPS or dedi anyway so you should take it over.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thomas For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (10 September 2014), Kay (9 September 2014), Lobigalo (9 September 2014)

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    This is a myth, although there is allegedly some weighting to the IP (e.g. location), so try host in the same location if possible. I've never had any issues with any sites I have moved. You certainly don't get penalised. If you have a site getting enough search traffic to be significant (let's say, over 5000 visits a day), then it's probably on a VPS or dedi anyway so you should take it over.
    @Thomas : Nobody outside Gargyl knows the true details of their algorithms, so pragmatic observations from the outside are all we have to go on. Since you have never had any issues, that shows you've found safe ways to move sites. That doesn't mean you're entirely correct.

CONSIDERATIONS WHEN MOVING A SITE.

Changing to a new IP location will usually precipitate a re-assessment of the site. If the site remains unchanged, there should be no problem with this movement BUT it has to be done in one fell swoop.

DO NOT move a few pages from the old host to a new host, then redirect the domain to point at the new host.. Doing this is a big mistake, because Gargyl will re-assess the site on what it sees, and its new search rating will reflect the low content. After that reassessment, restoring content may actually be seen as DUPLICATING content from the original IP address because Gargyl stores IP addresses as numbers, and caches the filed information that way.

To do the job right -
    1) move all the files onto the new hosting in one go, as quickly as you can;

2) check that the facilities work, SQL database links etc. need to be checked / tested by viewing from the dashboard view at the host, especially if PHP is involved;

3) change tracking codes, make other changes you see necessary (don't prune until later), and add any new content you have available;

4) redirect the domain.

If you feel the need to prune out large amounts of the content, resist that urge for a couple of weeks and cut it out later. You want the site to look like it did before moving, with a little added content so it looks like you care.

Gargyl have had complaints in the past from people who have moved host, then been penalised for duplicating their own content, so they have added something into their system to avoid that situation. Whatever that something is, it can not be invoked multiple times. You get the one chance to do the job right.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Lobigalo (11 September 2014)

aka "meathead1234" Thomas is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crabfoot View Post
    @Thomas : Nobody outside Gargyl knows the true details of their algorithms, so pragmatic observations from the outside are all we have to go on. Since you have never had any issues, that shows you've found safe ways to move sites. That doesn't mean you're entirely correct.
    I've been in the industry for years and probably overseen well over 1000 sites get moved of varying sizes, it's not like I am basing my (admittedly somewhat subjective experience) on a small sample size. I have never heard moving server as a reason for a site to be "penalised".

What you're talking about is people who move sites incorrectly, that's an entirely different issue. The variable questioned was moving to a new host and I would stick by my response that (assuming all other variables being equal) I've never seen/heard/experienced a server move alone being the reason for a site being penalised.

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    I've been in the industry for years and only needed to move four sites - but I did foul up on one, and I learned from that experience.

When I looked around, I found a lot of other people had similar and related problems when moving sites. So I learned to do it the way I've detailed above.

There can be hours of innocent amusement extending over several weeks discussing the issues and trying to smarm Gargyl into human intervention before you can get a site back to where it started.

I have never heard moving server as a reason for a site to be "penalised".
    It's not what you do, it's the way that you do it ... I found that out the hard way.

What you're talking about is people who move sites incorrectly, that's an entirely different issue.

It's not that one way is "correct" and the other is "incorrect". I don't agree with that statement. The inflexibility of the way search engines assess sites means that there is a safe way, and a lot of unsafe ways, to do the job without getting a penalty.

The end result of moving a site slowly or quickly is similar, and would probably result in fewer errors if done carefully, at a measured pace. But working slowly can mean you get penalised for duplicating your own content. We don't want that, do we?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Lobigalo (11 September 2014)

+ Reply to Thread