+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advise please.

Trial Member
    Thanks

Advise please.

Hello to all,apart from the introductions thread this is my first post.

I have had a advert out on a Business for sale website and had contact from someone that designs and sells websites that are relevant to certain cities around the world.I wont put the link on here or name it as im not sure that would be ok.

The advise im after if anyone can give it with that little amount of detail is, does this sound the sort of website i should be looking at.I would basically need to get local businesses to sign up to advertise on the website for a yearly fee.

Many thanks to anyone that replies.

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Good move not to name or link to it here. Thanks. That would have been perceived as being spam or worse...

Right, so someone has contacted you with what? They'll sell you a site where you have to go out and get people to sign up and pay you. It's not a business. You can go to WordPress.com and get yourself a site and use their hosting. All completely FREE. Then you can go out and get people to sign up to buy a listing on your shiny new freebie site. If making money online was that easy we'd all be zillionaires.

How much does this website cost to buy? Do you really think it's a business?

What can I say? Even without knowing any details of this thing you've mentioned, it sounds like a text-book example of a newbie trap. I'm not even sure you're seriously asking us about this.

One thing I'm very curious about is: what is this "business for sale" website. You can name, but don't link, please. I'm sure my colleagues here already have a pretty good idea about where it might be, but do please satisfy our curiosity.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Hello Kay,

Thanks for your reply. From only having found this site yesterday and not having a clue regarding what im looking for yes i am asking seriously.The bits i have managed to read so far seem to certainly point in the direction of your answer so its of no surprise,i just wanted to confirm really.

The website is ukbusinesses for sale.

As you can probably tell i really dont have a clue at the moment.Im not after a get rich quick type of thing i want to be able to work at something, its just very difficult to get going.

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Local advertising sites have been easy to set up since the web began, if you have the sales pitch right and the ability to chase up leads you can find people that want to advertise.

The stumbling block has always been getting hold of a suitable generic or "geo" domain. Due to the obvious benefit in the past of keyword domains they are scarce, and don't drop back into the pool very often.

For example, if you own london. uk you can set up a subdomain eg. plumbers. london. uk and advertise local plumbers in london. Similarly, if you own plumbers. uk you could set up london. plumbers. uk . Given that you have to do some legwork or make lots of telephone calls to get your initial customers, having the "geo" domain for your locale is a definite advantage. It is a lot easer to source ads for Penge. uk if you live in Penge, rather than Auchtermuchty.

It will never be a get rich quick scheme, but once set up it can provide useful income.

I know of a few people who have been able to generate some sort of income with this type of site. The most successful is a relatively local chap, near Hull, who also runs local business clubs, the sort of thing where business people get together over a business breakfast in a pub for business networking opportunities, and someone gives a talk on some business subject.

I think you might see how the two businesses are complementary to each other.

At the other extreme is someone running a site from a small town in Scotland, who has drummed up about eight advertisers and has no prospect of increasing that number. The site returns a small profit, the advertisers pay up year after year, and it is one small but valuable contribution to his income stream - after the initial effort he put in to get it going.

He said it was such hard work selling his ad space that he wouldn't bother repeating the experience.

If you're a natural salesman, a local ad site could suit you, and provide useful supplementary income. If you can't sell a hot meal to a starving man, perhaps it is not for you ...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'd not dispute that the business model could work. More important, I think, is whether it's worth buying a turnkey to get started with this. I was questioning whether it might be better to DIY rather than buy the business-in-a-box. The site build is the easy part, the real work starts after that.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    I'd not dispute that the business model could work. More important, I think, is whether it's worth buying a turnkey to get started with this. I was questioning whether it might be better to DIY rather than buy the business-in-a-box. The site build is the easy part, the real work starts after that.
    To work well, such a site needs existing traffic. If the site has traffic from general articles on subjects pertinent to advertisers, AND has traffic from a particular locale, you're on to an easier path than starting from scratch.
    Or if it comes with useful features and a CMS, and you have poor sitebuilding abilities
    - that could be enough to make it worthwhile.

It depends on whether the turnkey fulfils any of those demands, or if it has features that can be beneficial.

Using my existing example of plumbing, if you have a series of articles on plumbing you could serve those by redirecting within a frame. If you have more than one geo locale to work with, that way of working can avoid having duplicate content issues about the plumbing content. A turnkey that does that via a CMS could be a boon to a beginner.

But then you need local content to encourage local visitors. The local content has to be good and original, to keep the site looking active for the search engines.

It is very difficult to persuade advertisers to come on board if you have nothing to show them. Lots easier if your site is up and running. But you have to remember that selling this sort of advertising is often a "one-try" experience. If you are not offering enough to satisfy the punters initially, trying to sell again after you've failed can be an "uphill experience".

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    To work well, such a site needs existing traffic.
    Crabfoot, either you're missing the point or I am. It sounds as though the OP was asking about a newly churned out turnkey. If that's not the case, then I hope he comes back and corrects my wrong understanding of what he's asking.

Sure, we know that sites with existing traffic and various other attributes might be worth buying. But a freshly laid egg doesn't come with traffic. If it had real traffic, it wouldn't be a newly plopped out turnkey.

If the OP gives us more information about what he's thinking of buying, we'll be in a better position to be able to help. Show me a turnkey with real traffic and decent content and I'll eat your socks and post the video on YouTube.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Crabfoot, either you're missing the point or I am. It sounds as though the OP was asking about a newly churned out turnkey. If that's not the case, then I hope he comes back and corrects my wrong understanding of what he's asking.
    Sure, we know that sites with existing traffic and various other attributes might be worth buying. But a freshly laid egg doesn't come with traffic. If it had real traffic, it wouldn't be a newly plopped out turnkey.

You can buy a domain with traffic - if you build on it quickly, it can survive and keep a portion of that traffic. Or it could have fake traffic because it is getting it from elsewhere.
    I'm just saying it might not be a total dud.
    Why don't you ask some more in-depth questions of dodger?

If the OP gives us more information about what he's thinking of buying, we'll be in a better position to be able to help. Show me a turnkey with real traffic and decent content and I'll eat your socks and post the video on YouTube.

Previous experience has shown that actually revealing any success at that sort of work makes Gargyl so angry that they go on a seek and destroy mission - so if I had one to show, the vid on Youtube would plummet it to the depths of obscurity in the SE rankings.

I might show you one in a month's time (I'm working on something) but only if you promise NOT to publicise it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    ...You can buy a domain with traffic
    Sure, but that's not a freshly minted turnkey. That's a domain that might be worth buying.

...if you build on it quickly, it can survive and keep a portion of that traffic.
    Of course. Again, it's not related to a new turnkey. You're talking about the value a domain might have.

I'm just saying it might not be a total dud.
    I'm not saying it's a dud either. I'm saying I don't know enough to know what's being asked about here.

Why don't you ask some more in-depth questions of dodger?
    I already asked for more information about the situation. What else do you want me to ask him? If you've thought of an important and useful question, then you ask it. Am I supposed to have some kind of monopoly on asking questions? Where did you buy your trousers? Did you see DSieg's office chair? What did you think of chabrenas's latest haircut?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Where did you buy your trousers?
    Matalan
    Did you see DSieg's office chair?
    He can afford an office?
    What did you think of chabrenas's latest haircut?
    As far as I can see from Facebook, they left his head on, so he doesn't use the ISIS barber service

11. The Following User Says Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Kay (14 September 2014)

+ Reply to Thread