+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oh the irony! Or how Matt Cutts blog is full of spam

Trial Member
    Thanks

Oh the irony! Or how Matt Cutts blog is full of spam

You've probably heard of the head of Google's webspam team. Yes, the guy you've watched videos of talking stuff.

So, he is supposed to fight spam, right?

But anyone is free to have a backlink from his personal blog where under every post there are over 300 comments with a nofollow link, but who cares if it's follow or not - you can have a link there any day.

Just wanted to share this fact, to see if you find it interesting as well.

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Matt Cutts is infamous for saying and doing odd things, often things which have no meaning for people who aren't on his planet. However, I don't see the irony in this. Cutts promotes "no follow" because he claims that "do follow" influences the Google algo. In which case, he's practising what he preaches and not giving links which might benefit one's position in the SERPs. Yep, he's giving links which, depending on the quality of post, could lead to more traffic but not to better ranking. The only odd thing I can see in this is that what he's saying and what he's doing can be reconciled as being the same thing and it seems to make sense. That's unusual!

Some people, including me, think that the "no follow" is daft anyway. I endeavour to use "do follow" on all my outward-bound links. It's not my place to tell G why the links are there. I thought that was their algo's job.

That said, I don't let just anyone crap a link on any of my sites. I keep mine clean and free of spam and blam (blog spam). If you want a link, even a blog comment link, then it has to meet a minimum standard, depending on the site. I probably get thousands or more attempts at blam every day, but none of them get through.

Matt Cutts has made it easier for himself. By making all the links "no follow", he can let all kinds of crap through without affecting the algo. The only benefit to the spammy poster is if someone wants to follow the link on his crap posting - and that's unlikely. I think it lowers the tone to let almost anything through. It's just a quality vs quantity thing, and G isn't the centre of the universe. It's still very important but it's losing ground.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Trial Member
    Thanks
    And yet I think nofollow links influence the algo to some extend. Because after all - these are the supposed natural links, ones that are not intended to manipulate the search. So they must signal something, they are not completely ignored. It just my opinion though. But that's another discussion.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to davies For This Useful Post:

Kay (29 September 2014)

+ Reply to Thread