+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Search Traffic

Thanks

Search Traffic

So I purchased a website about a month ago and setup the traffic stats through GA. It's showing about 2900 unique visitors a month in the Acquisition Overview, with about 1900 coming from organic search but when I try to look up SEO queries it's showing 0 clicks. Did I set something up incorrectly? I know that I'm receiving organic traffic but why is it not being tracked? While I doubt this has any implication but I will ask anyway, would it have something to do with me being located in the US and the site being started in the UK?

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    It could be a filter you created or something wrong with the view settings. Check the original view for this site and see if that shows traffic.

Google have a good forum for GA questions. It may be worth asking there as well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

Lobigalo (26 January 2016)

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    If you are running Adsense, one of the best ways to track your traffic is to set up the Adsense blocks on a site as a specific channel, or even several channels. That lets you see where the best clicks come from.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Lobigalo (26 January 2016)

Thanks
    What I ended up doing was trashing the whole property in GA and WT and starting over. It looks like I had not included the www before hand. This is probably a silly question but what is the difference between not using the www before hand and including it?

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    I've had this problem myself, a long time ago. And I once used some hosting that for "www.mysite .fff" would give the site, but for "mysite .fff" gave an advert for the host ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lobigalo View Post
    This is probably a silly question but what is the difference between not using the www before hand and including it?
    Strictly speaking, the www version is a subdomain of the site which redirects to the domain. Which version of the address is used by default depends on the way that the hosting is set up - mostly, it is the www version, but sometimes it is the "plain" domain.

I have found it useful in the past to use a websearch for the domain to check which version is the default. Whatever address the websearch listings show, with or without www, is what you want to use for Analytics etc. Otherwise you don't get any visits recorded!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Lobigalo (8 June 2016)

+ Reply to Thread