+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New treatment now for new members, Thank You Button ... and other changes

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts

New treatment now for new members, Thank You Button ... and other changes

All posts from brand new members were meant to go into the moderation queue. However, on some rare occasions a first time poster is able to make a spam post that goes public for a few minutes. I've blocked that now. If you're not a spammer please bear with us till a) you reach a few posts and b) your account is a few days old. Till then there'll be a slight delay between making a post and seeing it displayed publicly. Please don't double post, our mods approve all posts usually within a few minutes but never longer than a few hours.

There is no change for established members.

Background:

We do things quite differently here to keep spammers at bay and to maintain the quality of these forums. For one, we expect new users to impress us with their first few posts. We therefore apply very strict anti-fluff rules to new users (rules which don't apply to members who have a longer history of making good posts). New users who can't meet the standard get automatically "eliminated" by the system.

We also have our own automated ways of stopping spam which seem to work very well. So well in fact that other forums such as Sitepoint have taken a tip or two from here. Most of those new users who sign up with the intention of spamming head straight to edit their profiles and signatures and drop a link. On here they are automatically blocked from accessing those pages till they've started making some decent posts. And they can't. So their accounts get automatically deleted. Yup, accounts that have gone too long without making acceptable posts get binned.

Apologies in advance to any new members who are inconvenienced by the new every-post-is-moderated rule.

For those of you know understand vBulletin, this is what I've done: I've created an additional couple of layers between the entry level "registered users" usergroup and the "verified users" usergroup. The latter has full permissions to edit profile, signature etc. Users get automatically promoted from one user group to the next on meeting certain pre-set criteria till they arrive at the "verified user" usergroup. The best way to get promoted is to make quality posts. On rare occasions I may manually promote a user if s/he is a well known figure in the industry or I have other reason to trust their bonafides.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Member Titles: The title that appears just under your name when you make a post. This is how many posts it now takes for each level:

Trial Member - 0 posts
    New Member - 10 posts
    Junior Member - 30 posts
    Member - 50 posts
    Established Member - 100 posts
    Senior Member - 300 posts
    Top Contributor - 700 posts

This will be effective shortly.

The member title is purely post based but access to privileges like signature, modifying profile etc., are based on both post count and account age. So a brand new member can make 10 spam posts in quick succession and become a New Member but he won't gain access to higher privileges (and when a mod sees all those spam posts awaiting moderation the New Member quickly becomes an Ex Member).
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    OK, I've been trying to update some stuff and tidy up other stuff.

Among them was an upgrade of the forum software itself to vB 4.0.7.

Also added the "Thanks Hack". You should now find the Thanks button at every post and can now thank other members if they've made a particularly useful post.

Have I broken anything or is the forum working normally for you?

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    It's working normally for me so far.

I applaud anything that prevents us from having to wade through spam and fluff. If it takes a wait to join in, so be it, it's worth it.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    I've tried the thanks button out already, and everything seems fine so far.

Nice one Clinton.

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Are new members no longer required to get romantic with a goat and send you pics anymore?

Do you have any clue how many times I had to steam clean that carpet to get the smell out?!?!?

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    Are new members no longer required to get romantic with a goat and send you pics anymore?

Do you have any clue how many times I had to steam clean that carpet to get the smell out?!?!?
    You got a goat??? Dude, I can't even tell you how lucky you are...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The Thanks functionality has now been blocked for users who are in the banned group, new users, unregistered users and some others. They won't be able to thank anyone.

There is an upper limit to the number of thanks you can give for the day. I've set it to 10 for the moment but that could change.

I've also blocked everyone's ability to thank users who are banned or otherwise in moderation trouble (such as accounts waiting to be deleted in the monthly cull).

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    You got a goat??? Dude, I can't even tell you how lucky you are...
    I've got a goat too.

MyGoat dot com - I just knew that goats would be popular one of these years. (I've waited long enough.)

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    There's a bloke got jailed for getting romantic with a goat in our village - he was doing it next to the railway line, and didn't stop when a train was held up right beside him - it was in all the papers ...

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sky...20080641046315

Mind you, there were a lot more cases I found when looking for that reference - seems to be all over the world.
    Last edited by crabfoot; 1 November 2010 at 6:38 pm.

+ Reply to Thread