+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Private Forums for Regular Contributors

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts

New Private Forums for Regular Contributors

I've created a new Private Forum for regular contributors.

Click here to see if you have enough account age and post count to gain access. If you have access you'll be able to see this forum listed on the main forum page, otherwise you won't.

Our traffic has been increasing but the number of lurkers has also increased and the number of non-members coming here and browsing threads has increased. Don't get me wrong - I think that's great, but sometimes we may have something we want to share with a few friends and not the whole world.

I do also sometimes come across a nice site / good opportunity that I can't share publicly. As several of you know I've often sent PMs if I thought it would be right for you. I will now post these in the Private Forums.

I'm hoping others will join me in sharing tips, opportunities etc., within this small group.

These private forums are not indexed by search engines, they are not searchable via the site search and you can be free to disclose information you may not be comfortable sharing in the open forum.

I'm going to be a bit more relaxed in the private forums about Forum Rules 3 (fluff) and 5 (profanity, within reason).

You can't access these forums if
    1. You're a non member
    2. You're a new member or you don't have enough post count.
    3. You're a banned member
    4. You fall in other categories such as dormant member (see FAQ on how to regularise a dormant account)

What do you think of this?
    Last edited by Clinton; 30 September 2010 at 5:07 pm. Reason: typos
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    I tend to post because I want everyone to read what I have to say but if I have a need to post somewhat more privately then this will be very usful feature. On the whole mate I'm very impressed with the way you run this forum and I'm busy filing it away in case I ever need to know how to do it.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Good job, there is always a point where you have to hold back on an open forum but would happily share with members rather than lurkers so should offer an area for all occasions.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion, Scott, it was your idea and suggestion from the other day.

I've been a bit cautious about opening new many new areas as they could end up looking deserted, but this is one that I'm sure will be a winner.

Rich, thanks for your kind words. Coming from someone with your experience of forums, your experience of moderating at places like Sitepoint, it means a lot to me.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Think it's a great idea, for the reasons I outlined a few months ago - a lot of people simply won't discuss certain topics on public forums.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks, Richard, I should have done this months ago!

BTW, I intend modifying the forum name. It's causing some formatting problems.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Thumbs up from me

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'm changing the name to VIP Lounge. Regular posters are VIPs to me.

I'm also going to be giving more importance to threads in this forum and spending more time answering questions and helping people in here than on the public forums.

So anyone who has a question and wants me to comment in the thread - you'd be better off posting in the VIP Lounge. If you don't have access yet then work towards it!

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    its difficult to assess the value of a venue if one is not able to access it readily
    by keeping this stuff so 'hush hush' and 'aging' membership based on # of posts, or calendar, it seems to be counterproductive

I happen to be one that doesnt spray forums with 'contributions' of dubious value; however, i am always glad to make suggestions via pm's to postings...90% of knowledge commuications goes on offline - directly between parties, after seeing a posting on a forum....i dont believe your exclusionary approach is risk/benefit positive

just my $ .02 (what do i know?)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to webdomainer For This Useful Post:

Clinton (1 October 2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I take your point, webdomainer, and thanks for your contribution.

It's not just number of posts, but also post quality. If we weren't keeping a strict control on new user post quality, I wouldn't have linked private forum access to number of posts. Our anti-fluff rules are particularly hard on newer members who, we feel, have to prove themselves first. A lot of them don't make it. My target isn't to have a large memberbase, it's to have the best discussions in our subject - quality posters making quality posts.

i am always glad to make suggestions via pm's to postings...90% of knowledge commuications goes on offline - directly between parties, after seeing a posting on a forum
    Brilliant, and I'm all for members talking by PM. However, using the boards just for PMs is selfish, IMO. If everybody uses just PMs and doesn't post in threads, that's taking and taking and not giving back. I delete their accounts if they have zero posts for too long. Even posters with large post count get their account made dormant (significantly reduced access) if they haven't posted for a long time.

This forum isn't about lurking, it's about taking part in threads, asking questions, answering questions, participating in the community. I actively discourage non-community players. I hope we convert you to our thinking and that the quality of discussion in threads convinces you to participate.

what do i know?
    That's exactly what I would say too. What do I know? This is my first attempt at building a community so I could be completely wrong

+ Reply to Thread