+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WebsiteProperties announces marketplace

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,973 Times in 1,660 Posts

WebsiteProperties announces marketplace

Websiteproperties, the website brokers, have announced by email to their list that they're starting a marketplace.

Because of our forum rules I can't produce extracts from the email but they've announced
    - they'll continue providing broker services to those who want it
    - we can now post our own sites for sale at their website
    - buyers will have multiple search dialogs, saved searches, watchlists etc.

Their owner, DavidFairley, is a member here and has a lot of experience with selling higher end websites. But ...

We've seen numerous marketplaces come and go. Do you think websiteproperties has the clout and bottle to take Flippa on and make a dent to their business? Could this evolve as the non-turnkey destination of choice for buyers?

There's no mention on their blog of these upcoming changes but the beta should be live soon.
    Show your support - Like us on Facebook

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    That is a good news. But... it will depend much from what info is published in each sale, how marketplace works and everything else. Only with beta version we will see if it is a possible option to buyers and sellers.

Established Member
    Thanks
    If they target the mid to high end sites they could do well. I'm not in that market as a buyer or seller, yet but it is a goal of mine and I'd welcome another place to buy and sell.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Flippa needs a legitimate challenger to keep them honest -- I'd love it if these guys have the ability to provide that threat. If they do, I think you'll suddenly see tighter listing control, an affiliate program finally rolled out, and more paid advertising on industry-related sites on the part of Flippa.

Fingers crossed...

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    I'm glad to hear that someone with a chance of success is taking Flippa on. I hope that they take advantage of their experience as brokers and actually give each listing at least a cursory review instead of allowing it to fill with junk in the name of higher revenue from fees and phony stats that make the marketplace look better than it really is.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Thanks for the post Clinton. Yes Websiteproperties.com will be going live with its new site here within the week. It will be similar in nature to a bizbuysell format, where details of the listing are made for interested prospects to pursue directly. It is not auction based like flippa. It will allow other brokers with internet businesses to list on it as well as individuals that want to sell directly without broker assistance or because their businesses are below the minimum value that most brokers choose to represent - typically under $40-$50K.

We spent a lot of time developing a robust admin area for sellers and buyers to make the experience targeted and efective. We will definitely appreciate any constructive feedback from visitors and customers.

An affiliate program will be launched as well - for the listing marketplace - a basic listing fee is $29.95/2 months, with a premium listing at $69 and a Spotlight listing at $99 for 2 months. We will probably offer an affiliate commission around 20-25% for this. Also, we will offer referral commissions of 5% for any buyer or seller references that lead to a close - ie if we sell a referred deal for $500,000 and receive a $50K commission - referral commission is $2500 - so that can add up for some connected folks!

I recommend subscribing to our alerts so you receive the formal launch announcement as well as get on the list for receiving email alerts for targeted opportunities tailored to your criteria.

I look forward to hearing your feedback.

David Fairley
    Last edited by Clinton; 27 October 2010 at 2:51 am. Reason: FR

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    so that can add up for some connected folks!
    I'll send you customers for free, David, but I'll have to see what the service is like first. I haven't decided whether it's worth recommending yet.

We will definitely appreciate any constructive feedback from visitors and customers.
    We've had a few very good threads about what would make for a quality marketplace. Both buyers and sellers - with a combined century or two of experience buying and selling websites - have contributed in those threads. I did a post with a collection of some useful links in the thread discussing of Marc Phillips new marketplace at searchforecast.

Have you had a chance to go through those? Flippa, for one, seemed to find them very useful. I would certainly be interested in hearing your opinions on the suggestions and ideas that came up in those threads.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    This marketplace seems to be live now.

Your first impressions?

Established Member
    Thanks
    The first thing I did was to sort by price and go to the lower end site listings.To be honest I was hoping for higher quality listings. For example cosmetics.info for sale for $10,000. Yes it's a 2002 domain but the description says

much extensive SEO has been done to this URL. It is starting to show up well in the serps…. over 5 months of strong SEO has been done on this domain.
    Call me a newbie but I don't consider a one page site that had 15 links pointing to it at one point as having extensive SEO done on it.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    My first impression is that it is a nice looking BizBuySell/WebsiteBroker knockoff, with the higher than average multiples that WebsiteProperties is known for.

I was really hoping for something that would either make Flippa care about offering a decent product or take the lead from Flippa, but I don't think this is it. Hopefully I'm wrong.

+ Reply to Thread