+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blog Spam what do you do?

Top Contributor grynge is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 944 Posts

Blog Spam what do you do?

When you are starting up a new blog and the inevitable blog spam starts what do you do with it, do you delete it?

I go in and edit it, change usernames, remove any links, bad language etc, if it is slightly off topic I will modify it a bit to bring it back onto topic and then I post it. Some spam is just way too full of spam to edit so I delete that, but on the whole I let them help me build the blog.

Anyone got any reasons I shouldn't do this?

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grynge View Post
    Anyone got any reasons I shouldn't do this?
    Because it's time consuming? It's your call though. Most of the spam I get is unequivacolly spam and just needs to go. It sounds like your comments are more on than off topic though, so maybe it's worth it for you to tweak them a little.

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 Times in 1,660 Posts
    Oh boy, grynge. Most of those are probably spam. Off topic, fluff and even some on topic comments are spammers there only for the (nofollow) link. I delete them ruthlessly.
    Show your support - Like us on Facebook

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    I get so much spam on a blog that only has 2 very crappy posts, it's unbelievable. 100% of it is spam, I think akismet is installed but if they use a long comment and an email that's not blacklisted then they'll still get through. I mean, one of them said "I don't understand the comment above. It's odd. I don't get it." and there are 0 comments, so you can just tell it's spam.

I think I'll just disable comments.

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    We used to call it Blam. If you're getting 100%, yeah, disable it.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    The best ones are those that begin: 'Why have you deleted my post? It was more informative than anything else on here. I'll start again...', when the article was posted about an hour previously...
    Last edited by mgallone; 28 October 2010 at 4:57 am. Reason: Fix Typo

Administrator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,278 Times in 2,098 Posts
    Akismet catches a lot of the blam (good word!). Other comments have to be pre-moderated for the first comment a person makes. I approve all the good ones immediately and leave the blam to pile up. Then once a week or so I delete all the blam.

I suppose a determined spammer could post one good comment and then come back later with blam. But that hasn't happened yet - touch wood.

We also have some IP blocks in place to keep down the persistent spammers.

I despise these people. They spoil things for everyone. I actively enjoy receiving comments on my blog. It provides feedback as well as interaction with my readers. I don't know if having blog comments is of any benefit for SEO - that would be an added bonus for me if it does.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    I'm curious now. Where do people draw the line with 'Blam' (I agree, good word! )?
    One of my key link building strategies is through blog commenting, though I usually get accepted by mods for always posting relevant responses. However, no matter how relevant they are, some webmasters have blocked/blacklisted me for leaving a comment simply for the fact that I filled in the 'URL' field with a link.
    This annoys me, because I tend to spend a good deal of time reading the article and thinking of a comment that will drive discussion or improve the information provided- and all I'm doing is getting a link in the process.

I may as well mention this as well- some of the funniest (read: most pathetic) spam I've found in my defensio over the last week or so has literally begun 'comment1', 'comment2' etc, followed by a string of meaningless words and links. Either that is one stupid link builder or some very poor software.

Top Contributor grynge is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hooperman View Post
    Because it's time consuming? It's your call though. Most of the spam I get is unequivacolly spam and just needs to go. It sounds like your comments are more on than off topic though, so maybe it's worth it for you to tweak them a little.
    Yeah I do it for the new blogs not the old ones that get legit comments it just helps start the blog with a bit of comment, I edit them and the users so its a decent comment, the real off topic comments or the pure spam I just delete.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Thank you for share very nice info. Your blog is so coolI am impressed by the information that you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. Bookmarked this page, will come back for more. You, my friend, ROCK! I found just the information I already searched everywhere and just couldn’t find. What a perfect site. Like this website your website is one of my new favs.I like this info shown and it has given me some sort of inspiration to have success for some reason, so keep up the good work
    Yay I rock and my site is awesome... even though there is nearly nothing there!

Finally pulled the plug on the comments. The site isn't/wasn't in proper use anyway, but my spam folder kept filling up...

Ah yes Marco, the ones with the links... some of them appear to be testing if they can post hyperlinks, and if so they may check if they're nofollow/dofollow.

+ Reply to Thread