+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DD Resources: Buying A Website? Need Help With Due Diligence?

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts

DD Resources: Buying A Website? Need Help With Due Diligence?

Found a site you'd like to buy and need help with investigating it?

There's no known service out there advertising due diligence on the smaller web businesses.

The way I see it, you have two options.

Option 1: Start a thread in this section asking for opinions. This forum has probably the highest concentration of experienced website buyers in the world. Some will drop in and possibly tip you off to a flaw or two you hadn't spotted yourself.

Option 2: Find someone who can work with you and investigate a site more thoroughly on your behalf. You can use the list below [Edit: List has been removed. See this post]]. These members have all said they'd be willing to consider taking on private DD work. Browse through their posts, pick the one/s you think sound like they know what they're talking about and drop them a PM. You're basing your choice on what you've judged of their suitability to assist you. You may get some help free, you may have to pay for some help, you may be able to reach a barter agreement. Whatever it is, that's between you and the person you've chosen.

Please do not PM me about due diligence work. Please do not PM to ask me to recommend someone.

[Edit: obsolete content removed]
    Last edited by Clinton; 15 April 2013 at 10:31 am.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It has come to my attention that some people are signing up here just so they can tout for business by PM.

If you get a Private Message (PM) offering to do due diligence for you, ignore it or notify an admin. Unsolicited approaches like this are PM spam. [Edit: Clinton no longer has such an active role on the forum. If you receive a PM spam, then notify Kay.]

You do the choosing. If they are good enough and are willing to provide due diligence or other website buying advice, they'll be listed above and you can browse their posts to decide the extent of their knowledge and experience. Go by what they've demonstrated they know rather than what they say they know.

Last edited by Kay; 15 April 2013 at 3:26 am. Reason: Updating contact info and removing obsolete info
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I've modified the original post to give prominence to those members who've been more active around here. As clients are judging experts by their posts on this forum, I believe this makes it easier for them.

I'm beginning to get more and more PMs asking for assistance with due diligence related matters. I'm sending all such enquiries to this thread and have updated my profile to point visitors here and save me having to tell them by PM that this is where they'll find the services they need.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I made this post in this thread earlier today, but moved it here as this is a more appropriate location.

I find it a bit strange that people will pay for expertise from lawyers, accountants etc., but on a matter like this which requires even harder to find expertise, they are reluctant to pay for assistance. I'm not saying that you aren't, but I've had numerous cases in the past with people looking to buy $500K - $1M sites who thought my $10K-$15K price was too expensive for the week's worth of work I would have had to put in. At least one of those people ended up losing most of his $700K from being caught out by the simplest of cons - fake traffic! What used to bug me was that they'd offer to pay the money if the enquiry ended successfully and they went ahead with the purchase (i.e. if they chickened out, I'd get no payment for my time and work)!! It's a DD, dummy, not a business laundry service where I make a unviable business viable. How stupid do you need to be to give your DD consultant an incentive to recommend you go ahead with the purchase?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

Brodie (18 January 2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I just found this page on the websiteproperties.com broker site listing some of the things you should check when buying a site. I've put together a due diligence guide here. There a thread in the VIP Lounge here (for those who have enough posts to access the VIP Lounge).

Please add any other good sources of information on doing due diligence on websites.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

robjones (30 September 2011)

Trial Member
    Thanks
    I've paid for due dilligence on a more traditional business before and I ended up not buying the business because of what we found and it was the best money I spent. Not losing money on a bad venture is much better than saving a little on due dilligence

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Clinton's original post on this thread included a list of active members who could provide DD services. The post dates back to 2010, so I have removed the obsolete parts of his post.

I will compile a new list of active members who want to be included as providers of DD services. If you want to be included on this list, then please PM me and I'll consider your request. Inclusion depends on your activity on this forum, and number of useful posts.

I have already had some private correspondence about this with some members, so if you've already made a request for inclusion or if I've PMed you about this, then you don't need to apply again.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Great,

Will this be a public list?
    Can somebody point me to the current list?

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    Clinton's original post on this thread included a list of active members who could provide DD services. The post dates back to 2010, so I have removed the obsolete parts of his post.

I will compile a new list of active members who want to be included as providers of DD services. If you want to be included on this list, then please PM me and I'll consider your request. Inclusion depends on your activity on this forum, and number of useful posts.

I have already had some private correspondence about this with some members, so if you've already made a request for inclusion or if I've PMed you about this, then you don't need to apply again.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Will this be a public list?
    Yes.

Can somebody point me to the current list?
    No, because it's not there now. As I said earlier, I removed the obsolete info and will compile a new list.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Those who wish to offer their services here can now advertise in the new Premium Marketplace instead.
    http://experienced-people.net/forums...rvices-Offered (Premium Membership is required.)

+ Reply to Thread