+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for getting traffic

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    grynge, I just checked out what the WEBRING is, but why do say it USED to be?
    Great post by the way, I found it extremely helpful.

Top Contributor grynge is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinkymann View Post
    grynge, I just checked out what the WEBRING is, but why do say it USED to be?
    Great post by the way, I found it extremely helpful.
    Thanks glad it was useful, many moons ago webrings used to bring 1000's of visitors a day. The bigger the webring the more traffic. This was pretty much when altavista was about the only search on the web. They can still pull a trickle of traffic nothing like their haydays though. I had warez webring back in the day that brought me about 400,000 unique ips per month per site times that by tricky links popups popunders you name it and the money made was substantial. Mind you though a fair % of the money I made back then never got paid out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to grynge For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (5 February 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    that's a pretty crazy amount of visitors! Do you think it'd be worth my time registering with them?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jinkymann View Post
    that's a pretty crazy amount of visitors! Do you think it'd be worth my time registering with them?
    The beauty of the internet is it really only takes a little bit of time to test something. If they are in your websites niche I would say yeah go for it. Make sure you test the bounce rate of incoming vs outgoing. Usually rings deliver visitors that are already interested in your niche.

P.S. I haven't heard of any rings delivering that kind of traffic these days.
    Last edited by grynge; 1 April 2011 at 3:38 am. Reason: P.S. added

6. The Following User Says Thank You to grynge For This Useful Post:

jinkymann (1 April 2011)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    thanks, I'll give it a shot. no harm

Dormant Account
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Ya know? Maybe it's time to revisit the concept of a webring like... Webrings 2.0. I always liked the concept but the application always seemed a bit cheesy to me. Don't know about anyone else but when I saw a webring, I always figured I was among amateurs. So how could this be revived?

Does it have to be called a webring? How about a new term? Maybe... mini-directory. Even nicer if one could include a search function that ONLY searched these limited sites. As a bonus this could provide a supply of keywords.

I imagine the big drawback of the old-style webring is the ringmaster did all the work. So what if this could all be done via a third party provider so all the participating webmasters need do is insert a bit of code?

And what if in return for providing said service, the third party was allow to sell a wee bit of ad space? Maybe split the revenue with the publisher.

Traffic AND Cash. Thoughts?

Andy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy For This Useful Post:

grynge (3 June 2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The reason rings were so popular was purely because it was the easiest way to get to another site of a similar interest. Someone had to moderate the sites that were incoming to make sure they where in the same category. I suppose in a way Stumbleupon is a big multi-niche type ring, as you can choose what areas you are interested in.

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    I have a little experience of webrings. In ye olden days, when my site was brand new, I joined a webring and it was useful to announce my presence. It sent a little bit of traffic. Once I got known for my own stuff, I ditched it. I was learning fast and it all seemed so amateurish. I didn't want to be involved any more with this ring thing that looked like it had been designed by an eight year old schoolkid.

The ring-master continued to plod on and go pretty much nowhere, whilst a few of us upstarts went on to overtake him and leave him in the dust. I feel a little bit sorry for him. Perhaps it was a case of ring sting.

I can see a case for a new model, though. It's just hard to see where the give and take might equalise. I probably wouldn't go for it in the same way because the old model was linking to your competitors. Now, if there could be a way to do a ring of a more vertical type of relationship, that might just work.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Ya know? Maybe it's time to revisit the concept of a webring like... Webrings 2.0. I always liked the concept but the application always seemed a bit cheesy to me. Don't know about anyone else but when I saw a webring, I always figured I was among amateurs. So how could this be revived?
    You mean something like an ad co-op? Then you could use it to stuff e-bay cookies onto visitors and make millions, of course then you would get sued and it would be a long and drawn out civil trial.

Oh wait, the owner of DigitalPoint already did that

I'd be hesitant to place links to other sites (a la webring) because I feel that if you linked to a spammy site it could potentially be viewed as a negative quality indicator by Google and hurt your SERPs.

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Hi - my first post!

As for web site traffic, I would start talkig about your site on forums (perhaps not this one, as there are likely rules about it!), but perhaps on topic sites and boards. A few years ago, I set up a web site to chart our wedding (we were getting married overseas and were only able to accomodate limited numbers), so we set a site up to share our plans with our friends and family. My wife happened to post a link of a forum she used (which was about weddings!), and suddenly we have huge numbers of ladies from the forum visiting our site. It also had the effect that in Google, if you searched for ****** and Paul's wedding, we were number 2. Not a penny in fee's to Google, and all this from some free chatter between ladies.

Not the web site was not 'affiliated', so it was not a business. however, applying the same principle to a web site geared up for business, and you are on to some free traffic. We did consider then working this into a business (wedding planning, affiliated with other services etc), but sadly my wife and I did not have the time to research and source reliable partners (I would not simply add 'Google Ads' to my site, as I like to make sure any links I supply are to a good quality service, not just something related to the page content!).

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMonkey For This Useful Post:

Clinton (19 April 2011), grynge (8 July 2011)

+ Reply to Thread