+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for getting traffic

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Thank you Grynge for posting and sharing this very informative list with us. #local I find very interesting.

I have printed thousands of business cards and gone to various neighborhoods to hand them out, and for some reason I have never thought about:
    • Flyers
    • Local Clubs
    • Local Groups
    • Libraries
    Also, you have mentioned blogs which is the best traffic building source for me (with the exception of search engines), and I would like to say that CommentLuv does a very good job of bringing traffic to blogs because of it's ability to automatically introduce other post in the comments. The premium version of CommentLuv is even better as it allows one to add his/her most important blog post to any other blogs he/she comment on.

Again, thanks for sharing. I will be implementing those tools pretty soon.

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Maybe its just me, but I dont see the benefits in Twitter etc. I have quite a number of followers but it seems everyone using Twitter is trying to sell something themselves, so I just get page after page of 'take a look at this great widget/etc I have ' or 'make Zillions of $ here'

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    @eddiebooth -there are two ways people are making money with Facebook and Twitter.

Some, the ones currently annoying you, are inside the network to try and make sales. It's legalized spam mail, but it does pay money, and whereas most people prefer to ignore it, once in a while they find a customer who buys. It has to be cost-effective or they wouldn't keep doing it.

The others are using those social networks for SEO purposes - the ones that are doing it right are doing it so subtly you don't notice (but Google does).

For the majority of users who are not "in it" for commercial reasons, it is a great way to inadvertently tell the world things about yourself that you wouldn't want others to know.

I'm waiting for a burglar to offer up the mitigation defense that he got his info from Facebook, so everyone knew that the house would be empty and if he hadn't done it, someone else would have ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

KenW3 (17 November 2011)

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crabfoot View Post
    I'm waiting for a burglar to offer up the mitigation defense that he got his info from Facebook, so everyone knew that the house would be empty and if he hadn't done it, someone else would have ...
    I know exactly what you mean, I've warned my eldest son many times to be careful what info he puts on Facebook, not just d.o.b., school details, pets details (a favourite 'secret question' with many, but also when he is going on hols etc - he may as well put a 'Come in and help yourself' sign outside his house

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    eddiebooth, you don't need to put that stuff on for there to be a privacy violation. FB knows, for example, that you're logging in from a foreign IP and are therefore not at home. Do you know what information they're sharing with advertisers? When you log in from a mobile are they serving you ads for businesses local to you? Do those business know from the code you take in for your 50 cents off a latte that you aren't local? Big businesses aren't going to break into your house, but the more your data gets spread around the more chance of some low life getting their hands on it.

Using social sites in itself can be a locational risk advertising that you're not at home.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Has anyone ever used websites like widepromote.com or unlimitedtraffic.net? I was looking at them a bit. Just curious if there are any thoughts about these or other related sites. Thanks a lot.

Top Contributor grynge is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Devon View Post
    Has anyone ever used websites like widepromote.com or unlimitedtraffic.net? I was looking at them a bit. Just curious if there are any thoughts about these or other related sites. Thanks a lot.
    Devon, not all traffic is equal, early on in my hunt for traffic I tried all sorts of different methods for getting traffic in the mistaken belief more traffic is better. What I should have been targeting was ON TOPIC traffic. If you sell hubcaps there is really no use to get traffic that is looking for pretty pink uggboots. Getting the traffic for uggboots will actually cost you money in lost bandwidth. Now of course if your method of monetization is one of generic advertising yourself then getting traffic that clicks should be your goal. I have sites which get high volumes of traffic but it is useless to me, the traffic doesn't click on ads and it doesn't buy anything, lucky I am still able to use it for a small monetory gain but most people that traffic is especially useless to. One of the main reasons Google's Adwords is so popular for sending traffic is the fact that with some tweaking the traffic it sends you can be profitable. I personally haven't used the 2 you mention but I have used ones which are very similar and unless there is a specific reason most of their traffic is normally useless.
    And they thought me broken, that my tongue was coated lead, but I just couldn't make my words make sense to them, if you only listen with your ears ... I can't get in
    Non ducor, duco

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Good to know gynge. Thanks for your input. I will continue to explore other avenues before I make any decisions. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grynge View Post
    What I should have been targeting was ON TOPIC traffic. If you sell hubcaps there is really no use to get traffic that is looking for pretty pink uggboots. Getting the traffic for uggboots will actually cost you money in lost bandwidth. Now of course if your method of monetization is one of generic advertising yourself then getting traffic that clicks should be your goal.
    So very true - off-topic traffic can sometimes cost more then having no traffic at all (more so in the days when bandwidth was expensive, but still true now).

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Make a registry of local groups I made pages for local clubs and sports teams on one of my site. If it's well done they'll share the pages because most of them are glad to see all their related info. online.
    I even offered a prize to the groups whose pages got the most views for the last year.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aneil4lom For This Useful Post:

Clinton (4 January 2012), grynge (4 January 2012), Kay (4 January 2012)

+ Reply to Thread