+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much for a link on your site?

Dormant Account
    Thanks

How much for a link on your site?

Hi Guys

I haven't been about for a short while - I've been busy working on a couple of sites and attempting to learn how wordpress ticks as well as what the hell php is all about.

Anyway, on with my question...

I had a email to one of my newish sites the other day asking: "how much for a link on your site?"

The thing is, the person seemed to be asking for me to link to his/her site that has a completely different subject in its content. I replied to the email asking what would be the point in linking but haven't heard anything back since.

Did I do the right thing? or should I have just given a price?

I would assume that it's better to link to 'content relevant' sites/articles, rather than to just link to any-ol-thing.

What do you think?

Jas

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    I get these types of email requests pretty frequently, and I never treat them the same way. It really all depends on too many factors such as my site, their site, relevancy, etc. I can usually sniff out the form/robot inquiries and discard those right away.

From the sound of your request, I would likely have not even replied. If you have a newish site and your site isn't even relevant to theirs than it might have just been an automated process.

However, if you're interested in selling links and don't care whether you link out to an unrelated site, then it couldn't have hurt to give a price. But you're ultimately right, a link out to another site that is not relevant won't do him much good...and it might not reflect that well on your site either.

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrP View Post

I would assume that it's better to link to 'content relevant' sites/articles, rather than to just link to any-ol-thing.
    You can hurt yourself by linking to a what google refer to as a 'bad neighbourhood' so it's something to bear in mind. Also, if they somehow manage to pick up that you're selling the link (and it hasn't been 'nofollowed'), that can hurt you too.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice guys.

But you're ultimately right
    Wow... that's a first

and it hasn't been 'nofollowed'
    'nofollow' - would that be advised for all out-bound links or only selected ones? I mean, if I link from one of my sites to another or I link to a site with good rep and relevant content, would that be ok?

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrP View Post

'nofollow' - would that be advised for all out-bound links or only selected ones? I mean, if I link from one of my sites to another or I link to a site with good rep and relevant content, would that be ok?
    'The 'nofollow' attribute prevents the google bot from following that link to index what's at the other end - About rel="nofollow".

If you sell links then Google want you to nofollow them so that they're not passing on any SEO benefits like PR or Authority etc. If you don't then you're contravening their ToS and they'll penalise you, not the site you link to. They'll have wasted their money and you might get deindexed or at best just ignored.

On regular unpaid links it's up to you if you allow them to be follow or not, just be careful who you link to because you're effectively recommending them.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Thanks JJ

I understand how the 'nofollow' thing works with the search bots but what I find a little confusing is - I know that the number of back-links to your site helps towards improving your PR but if someone sells links and 'nofollows' them, how does the buyer benefit form it being a back-link form a Search Engine point of view, or do you just get a kudos point because the SE knows the link points in your direction?

Administrator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,312 Times in 2,113 Posts
    If you sell links then Google want you to nofollow them so that they're not passing on any SEO benefits like PR or Authority etc. If you don't then you're contravening their ToS and they'll penalise you, not the site you link to. They'll have wasted their money and you might get deindexed or at best just ignored.
    But G doesn't have any way of knowing which links you sold and which you are just recommending. Do they?

Sure, if you're selling through TLA, you can get penalised (I did). But now I have lots of links out from our various sites and I don't see how anyone could tell if I've been paid for them or not.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

My Blog - online business, book reviews and stuff. Comments are welcome.

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    But G doesn't have any way of knowing which links you sold and which you are just recommending. Do they?
    They don't necessarily have to figure it out, anyone can report you and then you're in doodoo, but they're also pretty good at figuring it out apparently:

"Google’s stance on selling links is pretty clear and we’re pretty accurate at spotting them"

How to report paid links

Information about buying and selling links that pass PageRank

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JJMcClure For This Useful Post:

MrP (15 May 2011), Trevorjc (25 May 2011)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    "But G doesn't have any way of knowing which links you sold and which you are just recommending. Do they? "

I think a lot of it has to do with intent...off topic links can stick out and look out of place, and sometimes show they are paid since the link and reference are not relevant to your site. If there is no plausible reason why you would link to the site without payment, it is much more risky. If you had a page on your site that says "buy links improve search engine rankings" the intent to manipulate is much more likely then having user experience in mind like selling a few ads that your site readers might be interested in.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dschall For This Useful Post:

Clinton (26 May 2011)

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dschall View Post

I think a lot of it has to do with intent...off topic links can stick out and look out of place, and sometimes show they are paid since the link and reference are not relevant to your site. If there is no plausible reason why you would link to the site without payment, it is much more risky. If you had a page on your site that says "buy links improve search engine rankings" the intent to manipulate is much more likely then having user experience in mind like selling a few ads that your site readers might be interested in.

I'm sure that relevance is one of the factors in determining paid links so it makes sense if you're buying links to approach sites that don't advertise the fact that they sell and are on topic. If Google spots the paid link it's them that get penalised not you, you'll have just wasted your money.

+ Reply to Thread