+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Important Notice about Groups

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts

Important Notice about Groups

As some of you know there has recently been more conversation in Groups than in the open forum.

Is that a good or bad thing? I suppose there could be arguments made both ways. I'm here simply to facilitate and to provide what members want.

And members seem to want to discuss more confidential stuff without it being out in the open for everyone to see. They could use VIP Lounge, but VIPL doesn't offer them one feature: the ability to control who can read / participate in the conversation.

So we have a facility for that: Groups.

Regular members (who've proven by making a few posts that they're not here to spam) can start up private conversations and invite friends to those chats. They do this by creating a "group" and making that group either a public or private one. If it's private they then get to choose who they invite to the group.

Here is the homepage for groups. You can also get there by going to your profile and following the link in the left column.

Action has already kicked off in there with several discussions that the group owners are hoping all invitees will keep confidential.

As of today I've raised the 1000 character limit per post and you can now post up to 10K characters in group posts. You can also now use quotes and post code, links, lists etc. Some members have also started uploading images.

Glad to be of service and all that

Any questions?
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

Andy (14 July 2011), Kay (14 July 2011)

Dormant Account
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I was wondering about that. I take it there is no way to access groups from the home or forum pages?

Andy

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    I think the groups thing is a great addition to the form. But when I click on the link above I get to see all the groups I haven't been invited to join.

No, no, no. I'm not saying that I want to be invited to join the naked rugby players group. (Dunno why they've excluded me.) But somehow it doesn't seem right to see all the places that don't want to have me as a member.

I got the impression that the group owner (perhaps in consultation with other group members) invites people to join. If the existence of the group is public then it looks as though people should apply to join.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Dormant Account
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Gee Kay, They don't even LET me see the groups I'm not allowed to join.

Andy

P.S. Just for you. Enjoy!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy For This Useful Post:

Kay (14 July 2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Oh heck. Now I am a member of the naked rugby players group. I'm not sure if this is a dream come true or if I should learn to keep my big mouth shut sometimes.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Dormant Account
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Shhhh! Now EVERYBODY will want in!

:-)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton
    As some of you know there has recently been more conversation in Groups than in the open forum.

Is that a good or bad thing? I suppose there could be arguments made both ways.
    Personally I love private, members-only places. We use them quite a lot on our own sites. But you need plenty of info and discussion in public too so you can enable people to make friends and decide who they want to associate with. Only then can you move to the more private areas with groups of people who like and trust each other.

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    But when I click on the link above I get to see all the groups I haven't been invited to join.
    I can see some groups being two people setting up the group simply as an alternate to communicating via PMs.

I still haven't figured some stuff out but bear in mind that I may have access to all groups whether I've been invited or not.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Senior Member TheodoreK is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    There might be a problem with the visibility of the groups right now as they seem to lack any privacy.
    I think that everyone can access the group discussions and see what's going on there right now, but only members can post in them.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Oh. I do wish the Peeping Toms would stop looking in our naked rugby players group. It's very embarrassing.

+ Reply to Thread