Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chotoan.com - PR3, 400+ articles, $250 pm

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 Times in 1,660 Posts

chotoan.com - PR3, 400+ articles, $250 pm

Flippa

This site came up for sale in Flippa - twice - but the reason I picked it for talking about is the history of his attempts to sell. A quick search through Google shows he listed it for sale at Flippa and it didn't sell. He listed again. It didn't sell. He then put it up in V7N and elsewhere and even went to the trouble of doing a post on the blog itself (something he avoided doing earlier). He may be getting more desperate to sell.

It looks like he's tested the market, found the market not biting and is therefore highly likely to talk sensible or even bargain prices.

I find that when buyers start off with unrealistic expectations and they do have to drop their lofty prices they end up selling for less than if they started off with a reasonable price in the first place.

Standard Disclaimer: As usual, this is not a recommendation and I make no profit from bringing these to your attention or putting you in touch with the sellers. Check the books and do your own valuation and due diligence. As usual, I don't compete with you on any prospective site I spot and list here.
    Last edited by Clinton; 12 March 2010 at 3:36 am. Reason: To move thread from BSTE to Gotchas!
    Show your support - Like us on Facebook

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    It's interesting how he clearly has Google Analytics on the site, but doesn't use them as the basis for his traffic calculations in his blog post, and he implies that the average visitor to the blog visits over 100 pages each day.

Does he think everyone reading his blog is an idiot? I guess he just needs to find one trusting person who isn't willing to do any homework.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Well spotted. I too thought it a a bid odd that uniques bore such an unusual relationship with page views.

Maybe that's why he hasn't sold. There are two ways of approaching this - confronting him about the claims is just one. Buyers could also just mentally file away that information - and any other less credible information he presents - and just go by the verifiable facts. Ask for GA access, go digging around, see what's really on the plate.

While other buyers are just walking away because of numbers not adding up there may be an opportunity for one buyer who bases his bid on what the numbers do add up to for him.

Thanks
    I think you should go ahead and buy itClinton and use it as a case study to show us how a stinker like this can be turned around. I wouldn't touch this pile of stuff with a hundred foot pole.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Hey guys,

You wanna know what's REALLY interesting? I don't think this guy is the original seller.

Cho Toan I believe is a person's name. I spoke with him before his site was for sale on the open market and he offered it to me for $1200.

I can't be sure but I suspect the current seller is a "template flipper".

.................edit....................

just checked the whois, it is the original seller... maybe he just went crazy!

But then again, the person who put the site for sale earlier was http://flippa.com/users/343741

And then current seller is http://flippa.com/users/351186
    Last edited by TrustButVerify; 7 March 2010 at 10:05 am. Reason: checked whois

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I think you should go ahead and buy itClinton and use it as a case study
    I've done a lot of "showing". It would be great if someone else volunteered to do stuff like that. You up for it, Peter?

TrustButVerify, some good investigation there!

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    He also has the site listed at WebsiteBroker.com, but he claims $2,000 per month in revenue there, plus significantly higher visitors and page views.

You can see it here: http://websitebroker.com/site-details-999969704.html

What is this guy trying to pull?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    he implies that the average visitor to the blog visits over 100 pages each day.
    What is this guy trying to pull?
    From the websitebroker listing:
    Cho Toan gets over 200 unique visitors & 30,000 pageviews
    I got this wrong. I'll move the thread to Gotchas!

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Hmmm...this is interesting. I saw this site for sale on the Digital Point forum for $1,200 back in February:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...ht=chotoan.com

Travis

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Hi All,

Clinton, I found your site and joined after reading this thread. I'm considering buying ChoToan.com (in this 4th round) and will work on its SEO relevancy (through new articles) and monetization. His current asking price is $4,800, which seems high to me. Especially given its $1,200 asking price just January of this year. So I'm wondering if there are thoughts on what this site is actually worth?

I do agree that the numbers are a little out of whack, but I see promise in the unique traffic numbers, assuming that they're accurate...

Thanks,

Ansel

+ Reply to Thread