+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Announcement: We'll be sending out a regular bulletin

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,027 Times in 1,683 Posts

Announcement: We'll be sending out a regular bulletin

Following some discussions in private threads (Groups and the VIP Lounge), an idea was suggested by midascode that this forum sends out a weekly bulletin, as a service to our members, that lists some of the best threads.

This idea was enthusiastically received both in those discussions and via the PMs I got.

tke71709, one of our mods, has kindly volunteered to choose a few of the most interesting and useful threads, blog posts and articles from this site and put these bulletins together every week. benitez17, another mod, has also volunteered and may do some of the bulletins in due course.

I'd like to send these bulletins to only those interested in receiving them, but setting up an opt-in service would require a lot of work, the setting up of an aweber or similar account etc. It's easier to just email everyone from the forum software. Considering it's a free service and not going to carry any ads, I'm taking the liberty of going opt-out i.e. you'll get the weeklies unless you specifically say you don't want them.

By the same token, you cannot register for these email updates unless you're a member here and have an account in good standing.

Apologies in advance to anyone not interested in getting these updates. If that's you, simply post below and I'll take you off the list for getting these admin emails. (You could PM me as well but I would prefer a post to PM as one of the mods could action your request and save me some time.)

<Added>If you're an "established member", you'll have access to editing your profile and settings. If you turn off "emails from admin" in there you won't get any more of these bulletins.</added>

Thanks.

When you get yours please drop in to give us your feedback.
    Last edited by Clinton; 27 September 2011 at 11:37 am. Reason: Another way to opt out
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

Andy (27 September 2011), grynge (27 September 2011), TheodoreK (27 September 2011)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Hi guys, I'm on the forum enough that I don't need the emails. Please remove me from the list.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    OK, done. Thanks for letting me know.

I won't be replying each time someone posts here though. Anyone requesting removal will get removed in due course and shouldn't get further emails.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Senior Member TheodoreK is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Just got mine, thanks!

The descriptions are brief and juicy enough to keep people up to date even if they do not visit the forums on a daily basis.

If those bulletins continue, I would like to suggest creating some form of archive for them (maybe in a forum sub-section).

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheodoreK For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (18 December 2012), Clinton (27 September 2011), grynge (27 September 2011)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Hi,

Please remove me from the emails.

Just some polite feedback - I benefited from this forum when I used it, but that was many months ago and I'm not interested in the subject any more. For what it's worth, I don't think it's acceptable nowadays to send out any form of email that doesn't have a one-click opt-out. If I have to login to a site, that's too much ask since I then have to dig out my password etc. One-click opt-out can be easily used when checking email on the go etc.

Just my 2p.

Top Contributor grynge is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 944 Posts
    I totally agree with Theodore, just got mine and it looks great, I must admit I like emails that are well done and informative and gives you an eye on anything you might actually miss.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Nice work Clinton & mods.

Due to the time required with running a non-online business and building online projects too, I tend to dip in/out of EP sporadically, as and when time allows.

The EP bulletin will be a nice condensed overview of what's been going on here, whether I've been logged in or not.

Appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rnm View Post
    Just some polite feedback - I benefited from this forum when I used it, but that was many months ago and I'm not interested in the subject any more. For what it's worth, I don't think it's acceptable nowadays to send out any form of email that doesn't have a one-click opt-out. If I have to login to a site, that's too much ask since I then have to dig out my password etc. One-click opt-out can be easily used when checking email on the go etc.
    I agree with you that opt-out is the way to go and have argued that point myself before. I deliberated before I took the decision and decided that as this is non-promotional the overall benefits members see may justify the few members who prefer to not get the updates. Apologies for the inconvenience.

If anyone here knows a simple way members can follow a link in an email and turn off the "emails from admin", please drop me a note.

Dormant Account
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    I agree with you that opt-out is the way to go and have argued that point myself before. I deliberated before I took the decision and decided that as this is non-promotional the overall benefits members see may justify the few members who prefer to not get the updates. Apologies for the inconvenience.

If anyone here knows a simple way members can follow a link in an email and turn off the "emails from admin", please drop me a note.
    Hi Clinton,

I understand what this person is saying but I'm in agreement with you. Some people are just too freaky about email to use common sense. If there is no "opt out" option available from VB, then why not just say folks can reply to any email and say something like "remove me". If they don't like it - tough cookies.

Andy

P.S. Okay I now see the unsub message. Still, big deal. What is someone like this going to do? Un-member? They should anyways.
    Last edited by Andy; 27 September 2011 at 10:33 am. Reason: ps

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Nice idea but in my case you can also remove my email. I monitor these forums almost everyday like many others.

+ Reply to Thread