View Poll Results: Do you access these forums on your mobile?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Often

4 21.05%
  • Sometimes

5 26.32%
  • Never

10 52.63%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you access this site on your mobile?

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,427 Times in 688 Posts
    After having a cell for many years, I gave them up about five years back. It was like having a leash for the convenience of others. It was certainly a distraction at inopportune times.

I see these robots walking around, oblivious to the world around them, locked into a two-inch diagonal digital life and not functioning in an analog world. People whose phones take precedence over immediate conversation are a nuisance and not worth the effort. If I am in a discussion with someone, their phone rings, and they look to see who is calling, their focus on our conversation is over.

I have two business numbers at two places, and a home phone. If I'm at one of those places, I will take a call. My niece and nephew-in-law were over week before last, and my home phone rang. He looks at his wife and says: "Wow, that sound really brings back memories of childhood".

My sister says she is going to add me to her company's business service and buy me a cell, so she and others can text me. I replied to her email with the following:
    W@ U RLY T+ B/C IHNI ABT TXT
    (This is also an example of a rule 2 violation )

I probably do need a cell though, to review my sites for mobile compatibility.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KenW3 For This Useful Post:

crabfoot (15 November 2011), DomainMagnate (16 November 2011), grynge (14 November 2011)

Senior Member TheodoreK is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    I've got an old cell phone with no fancy no browser capabilities so I have never accessed this site on my cell.

Actually I use it more as a portable alarm clock and less as a telephone.

Very few people know my number and I keep my phone on quiet mode most of the time.

Thanks
    Tapatalk support would be awesome...it is free to run on server too and from what I have heard fairly painless to setup.

http://www.tapatalk.com/

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KenW3 View Post
    After having a cell [PHONE]... it was like having a leash for the convenience of others.
    I need my mobile, because I'm very rarely near a land line. OTOH I remember the days when they were "yuppie bricks" for the benefit of the boss from the "wine bar office bloc". People use the mobile phone to ask the question that is on their mind without thinking of how convenient it is for the person at the other end. I have an amusing memory of someone taking a call during a radio interview, where the caller was happy to get an answer, and totally unphased by being told he was being broadcast on national radio (when anyone sentient would have said sorry and hung up). That's plumbers for you ...

Before mobile phones, I used to organise my days by telling the receptionist that any calls I wasn't expecting should be deferred until after 2.30pm. I gave her a list of people that I would accept calls from - anyone else would be told I was "out of my office" until 2.30. I made a list of calls that I needed to make, and worked through that between 2pm and 3pm.

OTOH some people I know used to take this to extremes - "He's in a meeting" was a stock reply if I wanted to talk to a couple of friends who worked for a particular organisation. "Ask him if he wants to talk to uncle" was my usual reply - it still works if I need to get through!.

If a manager can't let an incoming call go to voicemail, he's not focused on the job in hand (unless he's expecting that call to help with the job).

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,016 Posts
    I suppose that news of Google Analytics assisting your research may not be what you seek, Clinton - whatever, for the members who are not total Gargylphobes, here's a link to some info -
    http://analytics.blogspot.com/2011/0...aign=v5default

+ Reply to Thread