Thread: Experienced Old-Timer & Dot Com Miner

Dormant Account
    Thanks

Experienced Old-Timer & Dot Com Miner

Hi All,

Found this forum while researching a bit about Flippa... while I don't normally have time for forums, the article that referred me here had great things to say about this community... so here I am - a new member

I have over 16 years programming and web development experience and have had good success in the past with online ventures...

I am an all rounder: from web design and php programming to server administration and 12 years company executive experience...

We had a successful local directory network here in Australia for 11 years... 140,000 visitors and 12% "loyal user" rates... until Google decided they wanted the marketplace and dumped all our pages in favour of other AdSense packed competitors who could make them more money (well that's what it appears like anyway) ... lost $60,000 / year after the April 2011 update... the gravy train was good until then I must admit

So now I'm rethinking our whole strategy and have been busy building other dot com business ideas and planning a ground up overhaul of our formerly awesome local portal network...

I look forward to browsing the forums and learning more about "flipping" sites = as in all this time I never thought of selling pre-made / existing sites until now...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cyanweb For This Useful Post:

Clinton (20 December 2011), Kay (20 December 2011), TheodoreK (20 December 2011)

Administrator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,312 Times in 2,113 Posts
    Hi, welcome to E-P. Thanks for such an interesting introduction.

Yes, things change all the time and you have to keep adapting and changing business models and strategies. Panda pretty much halved my income overnight, although things are picking up again. It's kinda scary to realise just how precarious it can be to rely on the whims of a search engine to put food on your table.

I'm looking forward to reading more of your postings, especially if you want to start discussions about new business strategies and ideas.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

My Blog - online business, book reviews and stuff. Comments are welcome.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    rely on the whims of a search engine
    Too true, the big search engines are IMHO, too powerful... I like the idea behind www dot yacy dot net = distributed search. Luckily I have a solid web development business that still puts the food on the table I can say that it hasn't been all bad as the Panda kick has forced me to re-evaluate our approach, marketing and over-all business directions for the future... it's easy to get lazy on easy money